main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What is your favourite Lightsaber Duel?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by wian, Jan 7, 2016.

?

What is your favourite Lightsaber Duel?

1. Luke Skywalker v Darth Vader Empire Strikes Back

24.0%
  2. Luke Skywalker v Darth Vader Return Of The Jedi

12.6%
  3. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn v Darth Maul The Phantom Menace

20.0%
  4. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker v Count Dooku Attack Of The Clones

1.1%
  5. Yoda v Count Dooku Attack Of The Clones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Anakin Skywalker & Obi-Wan v Count Dooku Revenge Of The Sith

2.3%
  7. Mace Windu v Palpatine Revenge Of The Sith

1.1%
  8. Yoda v Palpatine Revenge Of The Sith

7.4%
  9. Obi-Wan v Anakin Skywalker Revenge Of The Sith

28.6%
  10. Rey v Kylo Ren The Force Awakens

2.9%
  1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    For me it's Luke vs. Vader in ESB. It's ominous. There is hardly any music, just a growing sense of doom that Luke is in over his head.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Now that I've seen TROS, I would still say Luke/Vader's in ROTJ is still my #1-for all the obvious reasons. Although I do quite enjoy Rey/Kylo Ren's duel on the Death Star II ruins in TROS was pretty good-definitely the best in the trilogy.

Chancellor Yoda and Sarge like this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've grown to really appreciate the Anakin/Dooku duel in AOTC, with the dark lighting, close snatches and disengagements, having an almost balletic quality of shadow and light that's not really seen anywhere else:
    [​IMG]

It's very brief, but does certainly stand out as a highlight.

For the shows, I'm also very fond of the Maul vs. Pre Vizsla duel from Shades of Reason. It's the ferocity of a Sith up against all the tricks and tools of a Mandalorian warrior:
    [​IMG]

And the Darksaber makes any duel 10x cooler, even if just from a foley standpoint alone :p

4. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    He must be really skilled to block lightsaber strikes from Force users when he doesn't use the Force, he also did it before against Obi-Wan and Ahsoka in the same show.

Pre Vizsla is Grievous's rival in that regard.

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Honestly, the Obi-Wan/Anakin sections of the Episode II duel are my favorite. You have ESB-esque wideshots for the Obi-Wan portion, then a wideshot of Anakin with two sabers (first time seen in a SW film), then the artsy lighting of the blades, back to wideshots again. Something about it really works.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett and darkspine10 like this.
  6. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020

you should change your vote...Dandelo is getting quite lonely ;)

:p

christophero30 and darkspine10 like this.
  7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes, and after that Vader v Kenobi in ROTS. Then Duel of the Fates. Easily the best three, IMO.

christophero30 likes this.
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    yes ROTS was a great one. I do find it heartbreaking. And TPM as well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Thing is, I can honestly find something that stands out in almost each duel:

1. TPM, Obi Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul: This is IMO one of the most mesmerizing cos it's the first time we've seen that kind of Republic era Jedi dueling, and the double bladed lightsaber.
    2. AOTC, Anakin vs. Dooku: Although short, I agree with @darkspine10 it has an interesting sort of light and dance quality to it.
    3. AOTC, Yoda vs. Dooku: The first time we see Yoda duel with a lightsaber-and clearly Yoda is so good, the whole thing is almost a blur.
    4. ROTS, Anakin/Obi Wan vs. Dooku: Again some great choreography, and after Obi-Wan is taken out, some intense dueling ensues, with prolonged uncut shots, showing the choreographic skill of those actors.
    5. ROTS, Sidious vs. Windu: The first time we see Windu AND Sidious duel. Also some interesting and decieving/tricky moves from Sidious.
    6. ROTS, Vader vs. Obi Wan: Fast, agile, intense. The two Jedi at their best. You can clearly feel the emotion between the two, Vader's hate, and what's at stake.
    7. ANH, Vader vs. Obi Wan: My least favorite, IMO weak from a technical standpoint but it WAS the first lightsaber duel introduced to the world-and that alone makes it good.
    8. ESB, Vader vs. Luke: I agree with @christophero30 here-little music, just a "growing sense of doom that Luke is in over his head." The environment is cool too.
    9. ROTJ, Vader vs. Luke: IMO the best cos it hits all the marks; visually stunning, good choreography, the score, and of course the emotional weight.
    10. TFA, Kylo Ren vs. Finn and Rey: IMO very reminiscient of OT duels. The score (when it appears) is effective.
    11. TLJ, OH WAIT. There IS NO lightsaber duel in this one. Moving on.
    12. TROS, Rey vs. Kylo Ren on Kajiimi: Interesting location, and dueling thru the force connection. But not much else there.
    13. TROS, Rey vs. Kylo Ren on DSII ruins: To me this mostly score-free duel brought back a sense of that intensity we saw in the 2nd half of the ESB duel.

If there's any I didn't include, it's just cos I didn't think them significant enough to mention.

For the record, this is not a ranking for me-but for anyone who actually read all the way thru to here and didn't get bored, :p it's simply picking out the positives in each duel across the Skywalker saga, emphasizing how hard it is to pick just one or two.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Kole, Aah Fisto and christophero30 like this.
  10. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    For the main duels of each film:

1. Anakin/Vader vs Obi-Wan ROTS
    2. Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul
    3. Luke vs. Vader ESB
    4. Yoda vs. Sidious
    5. Anakin/Obi-Wan/Yoda vs. Dooku AOTC
    6. Luke vs. Vader ROTJ
    7. Rey/Finn vs Kylo
    8. Obi-Wan vs. Vader ANH
    9. Rey vs. Kylo on DS2
    10. Luke vs. Kylo (though this was more emotional than the other ST confrontations, but since there's no fight, it ends up here)

For secondary duels/mini-fights, I would rate:
    1. Anakin/Obi-Wan vs. Dooku ROTS
    2. Obi-Wan vs. Grievous (I include the fistfight too)
    3. Jango vs. Obi-Wan (I'm counting it :p)
    4. Mace vs. Palpatine
    5. Rey/Kylo vs. Snoke's Guards
    6. Anakin/Obi-Wan vs. MagnaGuards
    7. Rey vs. Luke (with sticks. Hey, it's the only action Luke gets :p)
    8. Rey vs. Kylo Kijimi
    9. Finn vs. Baton Stormtrooper

11. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020

not to be nit-picky but...this was hardly a duel let alone a main one

while this one was

in terms of sabers being used I mean :p

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I agree, but I count the Force fight too. :p and I think on a narrative level, its supposed to be a finale-style fight in comparison to Anakin and Dooku or Obi and Grievous in my eyes at least :p

13. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Luke and Vader in ROTJ. The raw emotion behind the duel, the culmination of Vader's conflict and the conflict of the entire saga, released in the brilliant color combination of green and red against a black background. Luke's struggle with his emotions excellently complement Vader's resolve to remain on the dark side despite his Master favoring Luke and despite Luke's appeal to Vader's lingering humanity.

My favorite scene in any movie.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    My thoughts exactly. I voted for Kenobi vs. Anakin in ROTS simply because it's the most spectacular and epic one. But in fact for me it's a tie with Anakin vs. Dooku in AOTC, for the reasons you mentioned. It stands out because it is probably the most unusual duel in the entire saga. The lighting (faces illuminated by the sabers alone), close-ups of faces, dance-like movements.... all those make that duel unique. I feel it's almost "graceful", more like a dance than a fight. Superb editing and photography here.

darkspine10 likes this.
  15. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    This right here^^^ Nailed it. Luke/Vader on Bespin is the best lightsaber duel in the entire saga, especially when you at Vader's reveal to the end of the duel.

Obi-Wan/Vader on the Death Star is #2. One of the most poignant moments of the entire saga. We see Obi-Wan already knowing his fate, so he does the one thing he can do to help his young protege. Unbeknownst to Luke, Obi-Wan sacrificing himself not only allows their escape for the DS, but it sets Luke upon his own path through the force, as opposed to Luke following the path laid out by Obi-Wan.

My #3 is Kylo/Rey on the DSII remains. There is just so much to take in with this duel. Their connection to each other, yet the need to oppose each other just because they stand on opposite sides. The emotions swell as they sense Leia's demise, and even though you can see neither one wants to fight, they still feel an obligation to engage each other. This duel is truly an elegant dance through the light and dark sides of the force for both characters. A flirtation with both sides, if you will.

16. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Cast my vote for Obi-Wan versus Anakin in ROTS. To me, this is the most intense duel in the saga because we see these two powerful warriors in their prime--at their peak--confronting one another, and to me, it genuinely feels like an epic clash of titans between two men who were best friends and brothers. I also get the sense watching them of how well they know one another and their fighting styles, which really reminds me of how much they must have trained together and fought against common foes only to now be fighting against one another and trying to kill each other.

Then all the intensity culminates in Obi-Wan being the one to basically put Vader in his suit with the maiming and lava burning, which to me made it all the more believable that Vader would seek vengeance on Obi-Wan in a way when they meet again on the Death Star as essentially shadows of their former selves and strengths, so I find the duel between these two in ROTS adds emotion to their confrontation in ANH while also emphasizing how much each has aged since their last meeting. And Anakin's "I hate you," is bone-chilling to me with Obi-Wan's reply, "You were my brother, Anakin; I loved you," always breaking my heart and making me cry=(( No other duel in the saga puts me through quite as much of an emotional ringer.

That being said, there are a lot of great and emotional duels in the saga: Luke vs. Vader in ESB when Luke learns he is Vader's son; Luke vs. Vader in ROTJ when Luke discovers that he can't bring himself to kill his own father; the Duel of the Fates in TPM when Qui-Gon is killed. I could understand picking any one of those duels as the best and most resonant.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  17. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
  18. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Other duels Inc maul vs Qui Gon in Tatooine ,
    Maul vs obi wan on tattoine, dooku vs Anakin Tatooine
    Special mention for kylo and rey vs the guards in tlj
    And the madness on Exegol too.. But the best is ESB.
    I know its not a duel but the best sabre action of all is Vader in rogue one

19. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Also not duels, but to me the best lightsaber action is Anakin taking down Geonosians by the dozen in the droid factory without even breaking a sweat, and maybe the best when he cut down all the Neimoidians as Darth Vader on Mustafar. Pretty cool moves, especially deflecting that blaster beam behind his back. Vader in ROTS is definitely the most "badass" character, though I really dislike the word.:p

wobbits and Deliveranze like this.
  20. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    I love the sabre action in sith tho clones is my least favorite as of all.. Tho I love the sabre action in the arena

21. Yes Please

Yes Please Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2020
    Honestly this might piss some people off but I think the ending duel to AOTC does everything, really, really well.

Obi-Wan's desperation is perfectly captured through his choreagraphy without making him look like a complete chump and the way the duel shifts from fast paced, near death fighting to taunting instantaniously is heart wrenching.

The way Obi-Wan is so easily dispatched while giving and how Anakin comes in and loses his second lightsaber so quickly makes every strike feel like it could kill. Even now, knowing every saber strike by heart, makes me feel like Obi-Wan or Anakin could lose their life in a swift visceral instant.

Watching this transpire in the context of the movie never fails to get my blood pumping. The whole movie just builds and builds and builds and it's all released here and it feels so perfect.

The Yoda part is good to exentuate Anakin's arch but it feels ultimately superflous and the chroeagraphy doesn't feel as punchy. I still commend them massively for pulling that off so convincingly in 2002 though.

This duel honestly feels like a combination of all the previous duels in the saga and it feels great. The quiet, dusty hallway of the Death Star from ANH, the confrontation with an unstoppable force from ESB and the fast-paced character-excentuating action from TPM.

22. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Absolutely agree. I also love the detail of Anakin cutting the wire to allow the darkness to give him an advantage. Not only does it create an ambience similar to Luke and Vader's duel in the Carbon Freeze Chamber, but it's a nice metaphor for Anakin allowing the darkness (dark side) into his fight, which is good foreshadowing for him literally using his dark side to defeat Dooku in ROTS.

23. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    my favourite duels/lightsaber battles

1.Luke vs Vader ESB
    2.Luke vs Vader ROTJ
    3.Kylo vs Rey ROS
    4.duel of the fates TPM
    5. Obi wan vs Vader ANH
    6. obi wan vs Vader ROTS
    7. Kylo vs Rey /Finn TFA
    8. Dooku vs Anakin ROTS
    9. Dooku vs Ani/obi AOTC
    0. Kylo / Rey vs Guards TLJ

honoured mentions
    obi wan vs maul rebels
    ventress vs Anakin old clone wars
    Magistrate vs Ashoka mando
    Luke vs droids mando
    mando vs moff Gideon mando
    Palpatine vs mace and co sith
    vader vs Ashoka. rebels

best of all but not a duel
    vader vs Rebels

24. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Definitely Luke vs Vader Part 1 in The Empire Strikes Back. The location is fantastic. Luke arrives at Cloud City and from those gleaming white, art deco corridors he is delivered into hell, all orange lights and smoke, to face off against the devil himself. The opening of the duel, with the two silhouetted against the blue backlight is one of the most artistic and gorgeous shots of the saga. I love then that the duel moves ever downward. Luke knocks Vader off the Carbon Freeze machine and jumps down, then comes down through that tunnel into the next beautifully dressed and lit set, the control room with the window behind them. From there the duel becomes ferocious out onto the walkway, before culminating in Luke's wounding, and the awful truth. Will never be topped.

25. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    have you seen the YouTube comparison bugzkilla did with Vaders and Lukes hallway scenes... works really well side by side mirroring each other. love that different filmmakers are following the Lucas methodology. i think these two scenes surpass every duel in indicating the power of the weapon ... apart from maybe ESB

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021