main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn/John Boyega Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019

I don't understand why this man has to constantly justify himself over the smallest stuff. First off, this wasn't even new information and Variety made a dumb clickbait article for literally no reason.

Second, its not illegal to want to step away from a role, and he hasn't said anything disrespectful about any of the films. Even if he did, many other actors have openly mocked and viciously criticized their past films and usually get praise or indifference, but when John says even the mildest statements, its always about how he should shut up and be grateful he was even cast.

I'm pretty sure this plays a large part of why he wants to distance himself from SW, because whenever he says ANYTHING at all about it, no matter the context, it gets used against him and turned into a media ****storm where people choose to see it in the most negative light.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  2. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    John hasn’t been to kind to the ST since it ended now je make take more veiled shots at it than the others but it’s quite clear that him and Oscar want nothing to do with the franchise in the future for a really long time if at all. Daisy doesn’t seem so inclined as well. I don’t know why anyone is surprised by this stuff the actors took a bunch of crap and all of them had issues with their characters post TFA why would they want to come back.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Don’t forget Detroit. Great film.

Boyega has already said he was thankful to work on Star Wars. I don’t think he owes any more than that, especially not to fans who have been horrible to him.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Why would they want to come back? Maybe to expand on their character more? If they are that passionate about it. Its possible they are exhausted by having to work under so many chefs in the kitchen. I could understand that. But i do think Boyega sometimes Sounds like he is above the franchise. He probably doesn't mean to sound that way, but thats how it comes out.

If he wants to move on thats fine. He did 3 movies in quite a small timespan of years so its understandable he wants to do other things. But maybe pick your words better i say.

5. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    I think a lot of the actors may feel like they are above the Franchise now at the end. I mean just look at how the ST progressed cool setup with lots of potential provided they don't run it off a cliff. Studio runs the franchise off said cliff, actors deal with abuse and a whole ton of crap, studio and director don't make it better they in fact make it worse. Franchise sales and profitability diminish so much so that TROS was hardly a blip on the radar and was largely disliked by most people. In it's current state the actors can definitely view themselves as above the franchise. Star Wars is more of a TV franchise than a film franchise now..... Never thought I would have said that when they announced TFA in 2015

afrojedi, 2Cleva and godisawesome like this.
  6. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    When an actor/actress says they moved on from a franchise that means studio moved on. It's really simple. LFL has no plans for the time being to continue with ST actors. It doesn't matter whether they were told straight up or the studio didn't offer to extend their contracts, the point is the same - the studio does not need these actors.

Moreover, franchises don't prevent actors to do other work so they can be versatile while under the franchise contract. Look at Scarlett Johnasson. Starred in 8 Marvel movies (including yet to be released Black Widow), has very eclectic filmography outside of Marvel, and just last year was nominated for 2 Academy Awards for 2 movies that she made between Marvel stints. So she definitely isn't typecast or known just for one role. It's really what an actor does with the time between franchise movies, what roles he/she picks.

Point being, it's a slow news time thanks to covid-19. There are no new releases and production on many movies is halted. So media are scrapping bottom of the barrel by haunting twitter for something to report. This is not a news as Boyega said in one of his tweets, that moving on is logical when something is over. Like, why is Variety making a big deal out of it?

7. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I think whether they come back is entirely due to their careers going forward. Oscar and Adam are well established actors, John and Daisy not so much. It they don't do as well as they'd like it might be a different kettle of fish years from now, but at the moment if the story of Rey and her Amazing Friends continues I'm pretty sure it will be in comics. Or books. Or both.

8. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    I won't bother with any form of continuation. I didn't see TROS in cinemas so I voted with my valet against the trio movie or any trio character combo or solo movie. I will not buy books and comic books anyway, no matter who they are about, because everything that was published so far had ZERO relevance and was mostly poorly written and dull. So from my POV, it's a good news that studio moved on from ST.

Blastaar and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  9. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    There was a crowd that saw The Force Awakens as the real downfall. The BO says otherwise but it set the direction in motion. Everybody was going to see the next star wars, even if they were taken back by Lucas being excluded. People were going to give it a chance. It had its fans but it also set up episode 8 for its expected BO. One can say it's a huge dropoff, but fact of the matter is The Force Awakens lost a crowd or did not interest a crowd for the sequel, so that films BO depended moreso on the core Star Wars fanbase. It was the same deal with Phantom Menace. The Force Awakens was hype machine personified and positive press got people excited to see that "omg other people like it it doesnt suck like the prequels."

10. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    The best stuff that has been released as Tie-In novels have had nothing to do with the ST at all besides Bloodline. I have stopped following the nu - canon since it can get overidden at any time and yeah the Kylo Comic was such trash..... just the worst Star Wars comic ever IMO.

11. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    TFA definitely put off overseas markets cause TLJ dropped rather steeply in its opening weekend, which is before WOM could spread. Opening weekend was running on TFA fumes but they were weaker overseas. Domestically, TLJ had a stellar retention dropping only 10% from TFA opening weekend, so goodwill was there. It's the second weekend that saw alarming 67% drop.

@Jedi_Fenrir767 Yes that comic book was the worst. I caught the image of Gardener Snoke and that was enough. [face_skull]:oops:8-}

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  12. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    The nu cannon has been used to try and rehabilitate Kylo and patch so many mistakes and errors or unclear things about the films it's amazing that the OT and the PT didn't need this much work the comics told cool stories about the clone war and fit with the films which is what I liked about the old ones.

13. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The biggest fault of the ST regardless of any type of direction, aesthetics, etc, was JJ failing immensely in wrapping up story threads. TROS leads me to believe that Kasdan basically scripted the entire thing, where JJ then edited in some of his ramble dialogue.

14. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    ST takes place within just one year. There's no time jump between TFA and TLJ so all they can explore is time between TLJ and TROS which looks as dull as that flop theme park set in that timeline, GE. So they can only really milk timeline between OT and ST and that means closer to OT cause more popular. Time after ST is risky in case they want to use it later regardless of whether ST characters are in it or not. @Jedi_Fenrir767

@obi-arin-kenobi possible.

@Def Trooper

He really didn't? Someone tweeted some fanfic about Finn with the lightsaber next movie blah blah and John said he moved on from that. Idle Variety made a story out of literally nothing because that's what they do ever since the industry closed down. You just noticed it now because actor you follow is the object of a twitter non-news passed as a news but otherwise any celebrity with a twitter account gets this BS. Since other SW actors aren't on social media, they can't be subjected to this slow news nonsense. Though to be fair, Oscar's cheeky salt that he would return to SW only if he needed to buy another house did get headlines. But at least it was from a proper interview, not a twitter stalking job.

15. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Oh I agree they didn't have much room to do stuff during the ST, I just find the quality of side stories and the expansion done to characters in the old comics is far superior to anything done with regards to Rey and Kylo Ren basically any character from this new trilogy. There was far more room for it during the PT as well which just makes the ST even more ridiculous it's compressed time period. I had high hopes for the Kylo comic and some of the other pre ST but most of it was just not good. They had such potential to tell great pre ST stories but at this point I don't care.

16. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Yeah that comic book was a massive screw up. the only good thing is that just a few really rabid fans know about it. in short, almost like it didn't happen.

17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Off topic.

But Lando is supposedly getting his own Disney + show.

The Solo younger version.

So Disney is willing to make shows spin-offed from their lowest Star Wars movie.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  18. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Well, those actors have never been salty so...;)

Don't recall Glover saying "They can't Disney Plus me" and "I'm staying with feature films".

19. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    It also helps that Glover was the best part of that film he stole the movie after watching it I was like why did they make a Solo movie they should have made a Lando movie it would have been so much better. The first line of Dialogue he spoke I could have sworn it was Billie D

2Cleva and Blueandwhite like this.
  20. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    That helps for sure but positive attitude in the wake of Solo boxoffice disaster is important as well. Plus, Glover was launched into stardom from TV if I'm not mistaken (Emmy awards for Atlanta) so he has appreciation for TV/streaming shows/medium.

21. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I know you can't help but be sly and smug, but you're not being fair and I don't think you understand the breadth of what the ST actors were dealing with, especially John and Daisy.

They were young actors thrown into three rushed franchise films that came in quick succession, on top of their work on other films in-between. And their work on Star Wars was not just for the films, but voice work for shows and several video games. They didn't just do one spin-off and have the option to bail, they had the full weight of the franchise on their shoulders for almost a decade and they took the brunt of the displeasure from the fanbase.

Daisy has spoken at length about being burned out, and I'm sure all of the ST actors are feeling it. It's well within their rights to want out, and other actors coming back to Star Wars from their one spin-off film doesn't make them superior apex humans.

afrojedi, Jedi Ben, 2Cleva and 9 others like this.
  22. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Sorry what? They were not thrown into anything. They auditioned for SW because they wanted an instant exposure. They wanted to jump the line. So lets not pretend they were forced to be in SW at the point of a gun or that LFL owned them anything beyond getting instant recognizably (regardless of quality) due to being in a mega franchise and thus a leg up on the unknown and semi-known actors who weren't.

If you want me to sympathize with them for being plucked out of virtual obscurity (due to their desire to upgrade their careers), turned into household names overnight and then seeing their movies and characters popularity nose-dive with each installment, you'll find no such sympathy from me. They knew the risk that the deal could get bad because PT is a living example that SW franchise is not a sure thing. So it was 50-50 that things (may not) work out as hoped. They knew and took the risk. Nobody forced them.

Again, all those extra things they did were in the contract that they signed willingly. Nobody forced them to audition, nobody forced them to accept the offer, nobody forced them to agree to sign an unfavorable contract. But like in any case where an actor needs the studio more than studio needs the actor, they signed whatever was offered just to have the opportunity to raise their profile off a popular brand. So, again, why are we supposed to feel sorry? P.S. 2015-2019 is not "almost a decade". It's only 4 years.

They knew that movies were going to be released every 2 years. They don't want out, they are out already because this is the end of the Saga and there are no current plans to continue with ST actors. The latter may just be the main reason for dissatisfaction. Surely John, for example, was hoping for something much more substantial than yelling Reeeey when he read in the script that Finn was FS? Perhaps he was hoping that the character would be a Jedi in future movies but that offer wasn't made so some bitterness linger? It seems logical to me that he didn't campaign for FS Finn just to be an inconsequential throwaway reference (that many didn't pick up on) but a beginning of something bigger in the future. That doesn't seem to be in the cards at least in foreseeable future, hence why he gives definitive answers such as that he moved on and that he doesn't want to be on D+. otherwise, if there was something, I'm sure his answer would be some cryptic gif/emoji like when he teased that Finn was FS.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    John’s IG today: “Dear haters, I have so much more for you to be mad at. Just be patient.” [face_laugh]

My favorite Star Wars actor along with Mark and Carrie, just for personality.

afrojedi, Jedi Ben, 2Cleva and 5 others like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    A version of the “He’s never had it so good” line from Solo.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This looks like it’s going to be awesome.

Descriptor on IG indicates the storyline centers around the history of race relations in the UK?