main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Wow, that's really unfortunate. Somebody in that documentary described it as the darkest hour in Wrigley Field history. I think they imply that there are ways of getting in touch with him that only a few people are aware of and are tightly held for obvious reasons. Now that I remember, one reporter was even able to speak to him in a parking a lot, and then realized he didn't want to pursue it any further because he could see what a toll it's taken on Bartman. It's worth a watch, but it's definitely not the happy go lucky story telling you normally expect from a sports documentary.

Hey now, that was original.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I wonder how long it took for most Chicagoans to gain sympathy and/or forgiveness towards Bartman after it happened. I kind of equate it to the Red Sox and Bill Buckner. I firmly believe he was public enemy #1 in all of Massachusetts up until the final out of the 2004 World Series. I think most Cubs fans, who like the Red Sox fans waited an eternity for a Championship and had had enough of excuses, finally turned the other cheek on Bartman only after the last out of the 2016 WS.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, it's pretty widely assumed that Buckner was only forgiven and welcome back after the Red Sox won.

The Bartman documentary was done well before the Cubs won though. I got the impression that it was just a long overdue re-framing of the incident. Not surprisingly, it was also when the 30 For 30 documentaries were still fairly new, so I guess they needed to add some drama to the mix.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    From what I remember about the film, it interviewed a handful of people who did, albeit after the fact, feel sympathy towards what Bartman had to go through. But that's not to say the majority of Cubs fans would've welcomed him at a Chicago bar any time up through the end of the 2016 season.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Agreed. They also rightfully criticized the Cubs organization for holding that exploding of the ball event, and how they seemed to facilitate the anger which further perpetuated the negative feelings towards Bartman.

I think people were assuming after the Cubs won in 2016 that Bartman would come out from hiding. I think many fans wanted him to so they can show they don't harbor those feelings towards him anymore. But he never made an appearance.

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That was the owner of Harray Caray's restaurant, who bought the ball and displayed it for a while. I don't believe the organization had any part in it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Luke02 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Okay, I don't remember the exact details of how they explained it. Just that there was perpetuation of it in the community at large.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Can you really blame him for not coming out to the world saying, "here I am!!! I accept your apology!!!!"? He essentially made a name for himself in the worst way. At least with Buckner and the Red Sox, he was a professional ballplayer who was actually a great player well before that little ball rolling in '86. I think it was 2005 when Fenway invited him back in a surprise during their ring ceremony and the crowd went absolutely nuts in applause.

Luke02 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Quick question: who is the woman calling the Twins game on ESPN right now? I’ve heard her call several games without catching her name.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jessica Mendoza. I think she's one of the best analysts in the game.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, she’s good.

Runjedirun and heels1785 like this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    no i did not. didn't see any of the games. something is wrong about that.

16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    League just issued a serious of new protocols and procedures that were obviously fallout from the Marlins and Cardinals stupidity. Meanwhile Ozzie Guillen gives his thoughts on Nick Swisher:

https://twitter.com/search?q="Nick Swisher"&src=trend_click

I am indifferent about Nick Swisher though Yankee fans should always be thankful he got traded for the pick that became Aaron Judge. Plus while I am indifferent about Nick, I am not indifferent about his wife. :)

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I liked Swisher when he was a Yankee. Contrary to what the ChiSox had with him; he was clutch on many occasions in NY. And the fans in RF loved him.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I’m following baseball after many years away and I’m really enjoying it. I forgot how nerdy it was and how much it sparks the imagination. I’ve had baseball on the brain nearly every day. Been enjoying trying to catch up on what’s happened since I’ve been away.

Context and the history of baseball are important to me and I let my lack of continuity keep me away for years. There are few players left in the league who were around when I was last into it. I don’t know most of these guys, but I’m really enjoying learning about them. Still, I feel like I missed a lot.

21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Nick Swisher was a decent player. Now he's Colin Cowherd's idea of a baseball expert

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Swisherlishess!
    [​IMG]

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Realmuto threw that ball like Captain America throws his shield.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, you're not wrong...

25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Baseball on Fox on a Thursday? What is this, the post season already?

Whoa, those are virtual fans. Confused there for a second.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020