main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill Discussion Thread [SEE WARNING ON PAGE 134]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I think people really underrate Hamill as an actor in his early years and how much he improved from '77 to '80.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Him getting type-casted was a serious mistake on Hollywood’s part. Even back in ANH, where you can tell he’s young and comparatively inexperienced, he’s got a great vocal showing that his facial acting and body language are by no means that far behind - ANH has Lucas as scriptwriter, yet you don’t find anyone making fun of Hamill’s delivery or acting choices. Luke’s a bit whiny, but it’s by no means the thing that stuck with people.

ESB showed his improvement, and ROTJ has the full package.

...Then Hollywood sat around insisting he was type cast, until he basically became a god of voice acting.

Johnson was correct in his perusal of Hamill’s skills and potential. I just think he still kind of wasted him a bit on a one-shot story and one man show.

3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Hamill's typecasting also lead to some diamonds in the rough, imagine if they'd made a proper feature film out of Wing Commander.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    a lot of it is luck. Ford admits to being very lucky to be in Raiders. (it didn't hurt that Speilberg saw a rough cut of Empire and was very impressed).

5. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I think the issue with how Luke is portrayed in the ST has to do with which episode they chose to put Luke in. Originally, Luke was supposed to be introduced in TFA when Michael Arndt was still writing the script. The story of a bitter Jedi having to regain a bit of self and finally going out to tackle the enemy works really well when the enemy itself has been lurking in the shadows and only shows its full might at the halfway point of the story.

But... you take that version of Luke Skywalker and put him into a story where the enemy is already gaining ground, then he just comes off looking like a coward. Rian Johnson took that same version of Luke from the Arndt script and shoehorned him into TLJ and it doesn't work.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    What if Mark Hamill had put his foot down and said I know this character inside and out and he would not be like this in TLJ if you don't change the script for Luke Skywalker I'm going to walk ! I'm sure KK and RJ would have backed down cause without Mark Hamill there would be no Episode 8.

Justin Gensel and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    From what I gather MH was not very pleased with the direction LS was taken in the ST. Given the leverage he would have had as the Luke Skywalker I wonder why he didn't demand some changes to the character. I would have.

chris hayes and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Exactly ! Mark Hamill was very vocal at the start about Luke's portrayal in TLJ - even stated that's not my Luke Skywalker I call him Jake Skywalker ! then I think he got called into Disney who told him to calm down then Mark came out with a whole lot of PR BS that he actually supports the directors decisions - if only had been more forceful when he was actually filming those scenes :(

DARTH_BELO and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Or he could agree with RJ take later on.

JeanNo likes this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    He may have been concerned that he would be sued by Disney’s high- powered lawyers for breech of contract if he walked off the set. . Lucas was no longer involved, and Hamill may not have felt comfortable with or trusted, those who were. All speculation, of course.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  11. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think it might be due to several reasons.
    1) He had probably signed a contract to be in the ST. Breaking it would cost him a lot of money.
    2) He might become a pariah and thus would have problems with getting work. Actors that are too "unruly" tend to not get hired as much by the studios.
    3) Mark is very popular in fandom but he does not have the clout of say Tom Cruise.
    4) Mark is a professional, he will do his job even he is not totally convinced. Because other people depend on him.

Having said that, had Mark walked from TLJ, that would have been a PR nightmare for Disney.
    Having Luke Skywalker quit the film would be a bigger disaster than what happened with Solo.

But even if RJ had not managed to get Mark to come around, I don't think it is likely that it would ever get that far.
    If RJ could not convince Mark and resorted to pulling rank, "I am your boss, do what you are told!"
    And that started to affect Mark's performance, say he was phoning it in.
    Then I think Disney would become aware of that and take action.
    What they would do is unknown but they might pressure both Mark and RJ, make RJ give in to some of Mark's wishes, like not killing him.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

12. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    He probably couldn't. He probably signed on for all 3 films before he saw the script for TLJ maybe even the TFA script as well.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  13. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    He had signed on when Lucas was going to be doing VII and then selling LFL after it was completed as well as Rogue One. Then Disney convinced George to sell before he completed VII and he seems very upset about that due to how the ST has turned out overall.

14. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Mark is an actor who had a contract and was paid big Money to act has the directors and Producers wanted him to act. It was his Job and he had to do it. He did it well too! I think TLJ is his finest Moment in the whole saga!

I love Mark with all my heart but his ownership of Luke is a bit too much for me. It is not his place to say what and how the character is behaving. It is his Job do fulfill the contract. Same as every other employee. You can give Feedback and tell what you dont like but in the end if your boss considers your words and still wants you to do it the way he wanted it in the first place ist your Job do to it or make a decition and leave.

Beside beeing part of some of the biggest movies of the last 10 years his Career took a big boost through the new movies. In the end he has nothing to complain for!

Proof? Quotes? Sources? Please dont come up with the 2015 Interview because that was way before Ep VII was released and has been discussed to death.

Him visiting Sets of RO, Solo and Mando make it seem like he is quite ok with SW beeing part of Disney now and the way they handle it.

JeanNo and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  15. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Just look up the Jake Skywalker interview if you want proof about how he felt about the character that is one of many interviews he discussed Luke. With regards to George he did call Disney slavers so....

If you want the details look them up yourself I am not going to go look for sources when they have all been shared to death on this board many times. Demanding people for sources is not a great way to them to answer your questions.

16. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    I've just googled and youtubed Jake Skywalker interview and George Lucas. I found nothing. Sorry. The I looked up Mark Hamill Jake Skywalker and found something. Yeah exactly what I said: is isnt owing the character and was paid alot of money for playing Luke/Jake whomever. He should be thankfull to have the chance to return to big movies, getting in shape for it and living healthier, getting a big boost in his career. He had all but positive effects from it...beside that: Mark said multiple times that in the end he came around with what RJ did and understood and liked it.

Lucas calling Disney white slavers what exactly what I was reffering too with the Charlie White interview from 2015...

All right. I'll make claims myself in the future and if anybody asks for sources I'll just tell them to look them up themselfs.

Btw. Memes and Mike Zero are not the best sources for serious informations.

17. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    While I doubt that he ever "liked" it, even if he did, that means zero to anyone in the audience who hates it. There isn`t a magic potion that somehow everyone will drink and suddenly think johnson`s choices for Luke in the movie were great or even good or even tolerable.

And personally, I was glad that he was candid about his feelings before the movie came out. At least I felt somewhat forewarned, even though I never imagined that it would be this bad for me.

18. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    It’s not memes it’s not Mike Zero believe whatever you want i don’t need to prove it to you feel free to go back and read all of the posts in the threads the information your looking for is there. Being rude and obnoxious is a great way to get people to not care what you say. Bob Eiger said it himself in his book about Lucas being hurt and disappointed after what happened. It’s all published if you care figure it out. You want to be rude and demand stuff in your debates fine i quite literally have better things to do then prove my point to a rude person in a forum where the points have already been made. Anyhow don’t bother replying to me i won’t be interacting with you again here.

2Cleva and Alliyah Skywalker like this.
  19. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    You made claims and need yet to proof them. If y And concerning Lucas and what Bob Iger wrote in his book all of what he told us there had happen before any movie was released. You said that Lucas still has problems with how Disney handles SW and I wanted sources for that. You mentioned now two sources and both of them are about Lucas acting before the release of TFA. So I'd like recent sources. There are none. We have him saying about TLJ "Its a beautiful made film", we have him visiting the sets of Mando (multiple times), RO and Solo (even directing a scene in the ladder) and I think he also made postive comments about the TCW finale. So all indications are there that he has come around with Disney. He is a grown up man in his 70s and a very smart man so why wouldnt he?!

BTW: I didnt mean to come off rude. But Iam tired of this generalisation of Lucas's oppinion about recent SW production because he was bitter back in 2015 when he made the Charlie Rose interview. My demands were only because you did claim something and that needs to be proofen by sources. That was my whole point.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  20. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    This is the last I will reply to your comments. If Bob Eiger's book and the fact that Lucas skipped out on the TROS premier isn't enough to show that with regards to the ST itself he is disappointed then don't know what to tell you. There is nothing that support your claim that he has entirely come around on Disney Star Wars either in particular the ST. We have not once heard Lucas comment on the how the story ended. With regards to projects he has been around and voiced support of Rogue One started as a project when he was still the owner of Lucasfilm. TCW was his project and got cut short by the sale of the company so why wouldn't he be happy with the man he gave the project to finishing it off (most likely in line with it's original vision and ending). Dave Filoni also worked on the Mandalorian so it seems that most of the stuff that Lucas is happy about comes from the man that many call the heir apparent.

There is also this generalization that Lucas now likes Disney Star Wars and there is plenty of evidence contrary to that fact users like @Darth PJ @Talos of Atmora and others have sourced this stuff on this forum multiple times in different threads some which have since been deleted. I have 0 interest in proving what I said as it has been sourced on this forum multiple times. I am not going to go through 50 pages of the Luke thread to find the quote or link, neither will I go through the 130 pages of the ST's purpose thread to find information as well. If your curious look it up yourself. Something that has been brought up on this forum multiple times and sourced from reliable sources and not YouTube videos, being referenced doesn't need a source or a link every time it's mentioned. It's not like I have a list of bookmarks of articles to make my points on forums.... There is also the entire Lucasfilm discussion forum some of the stuff may have been sourced there as well if you care to look there may be a lot of not great stuff as well I don't really go into that forum. In any case I this is my last post on this matter and I will now stick with my original statement of not interacting with you here further.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    2Cleva and Darth PJ like this.
  21. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    The guy still is named Bob Iger. Without the E.

I know you dont want to interact with me because I asked you questions to proof your claims which apperently is a rude thing nowadays. I know the US President makes claims without proof all the time too but that is not the standard Iam working with. As a matter of fact in my last post I said Lucas came around with Disney SW and not that he is particlary into anything they do. I pointed out where he showed affection to it and didnt do anything more. What you are doing is saying: "He called Disney White Slavers in 2015 (Charlie Rose Interview) and was angry about Disney during the production of TFA in 2013 and 2014 (Bob Igers Book). So he still must be bitter about anything Disney is doing!" All I did was pointing to facts which obviously going against that claim. I had 5 examples of facts where Lucas showed positivity towards the Disney SW Content, 4 of which he didnt have any relation with in creating it. If that triggers you to call me rude or anything that is your problem. And I know of Course that TCW is the work of Filoni and Lucas but still Season 7 was finalized under Disney and without Lucas in Charge. Mando is a complete Disney SW Project, same for RO and Solo. And there are still his words about TLJ. I never said he liked anything the ST had to offer. In fact we know he wasnt fond of TFA. But as I said: he is a very intelligent man in his 70's. Why would he be still mess up the rest of live beeing bitter about that? That what I meant by coming around.

Still I got another question you maybe want to answer. I'll allow myself to question it: Does it matter to you that Lucas didnt like the old Legends EU? Does it matter that he didnt consider this Storys his Canon and that he hated characters like Mara Jade? If your answer is yes I can see why it is so important to you that Lucas likes the new Canon material. If not I really dont understand the importance of Lucas liking or disliking it. Iam a Lucas fan by heart and I really dont care that much about his Feelings torwards the ST and other material. Same as with the old Legends EU. He gave it away to tell new stories so his Control is over. He Chose to not tell it himself. So yeah ist great when he is involved in any way and says that he likes certain stuff. He isnt involved or doesnt like a partiuclar movie or Show or whatever that doesnt Change my Feelings towards my liking of it. Was the same for me back with the old Legends EU and is the same for me now with the new Canon. Same for Mark Hamills opinion: Just because he did or didnt like how Luke was portrayed in the ST doesnt mean I have to dislike or like it. I like to decide for myself and make up my own mind by what is presented to me.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Play nice in here. We're discussing silly space movies - no need to be antagonistic.

sian1965 and KyleKartan like this.
  23. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Sorry, my bad. But I just dont get how people can be so extremly bitter and angry over those silly space movies when they dont like them.

JeanNo likes this.
  24. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Been this way here since 12/15/17. Same arguments, anger, bitterness, endless nitpicking, hatred for Ruin Johnson, KK, LFL etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeanNo, KyleKartan and sian1965 like this.
  25. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    I know. Still its...tiresome at least...