main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As a practical issue, people are generally disinclined to separate one single decision too much from a whole series of inter-related, contemporaneous ones that all dealt with the same complex and at the time poorly understood phenomenon. It was also a response to the reality that hospital resources were limited in a pandemic, with several people being both unsafe for independent living but also requiring less than the full supportive services of an acute care hospital--especially hospitals whose staff and services were already over-burdened by the number of people that did need those services.

Here's a quote from a paper being published this month in an academic healthcare journal.

There's more to this discussion than "lol corruption," which is probably also why the media is restraining itself somewhat.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Cuomo has, at the very least, been close to corruption throughout his political career. Forgive me for not giving him the benefit of the doubt and putting this one time in its own bubble.

3. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Pro-Bernie groups and personalities as Noam Chomsky are launching efforts and a campaign to push people who were supports of Bernie Sanders to vote for Biden in order to block Trump from getting a second term:

3sm1r and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    He wouldn't be the biggest failure ever to run for president of the United States. That's a benchmark that hopefully will never be surpassed.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You'll vote for Cuomo if you don't want another 4 years of Tom Cotton!

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I definitely wouldn't mind watching Krystal Ball talking political to me.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Women don't need to always be spoken of sexually, especially when they are professionals doing a job.

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks for the tip.

9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Chomsky is one of the best human beings alive.
    Still, in a normal world, what he says in the video should be like "duh ??"

Princess_Tina likes this.
  10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    One point for all the "how could anyone vote for Trump?" discussions is to look at how many people have said that it's important to vote for Biden because Supreme Court nominations are on the line (and this comes up often generally). That argument of the importance of voting for the party candidate because of the Supreme Court seats is exactly what'll get people to vote for Trump, too.

Um, no, I don't remember that?

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'd go so far as to say the Republican Party wouldn't exist without Fox News, or at least it would be far more moderate by orders of magnitude. The people who vote Republican aren't doing so because they actually have any substantial policy disagreements with Democrats. In many cases they support certain policies before being told "Democrats support this" and then they turn against it. This is simply the result of a gigantic smear campaign.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Sure, because they weren't doing terrible & scummy things (to put it mildly) before the goddamn late 90's/into the early Aught's. Please.

13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well I do. And then the valedictorian snickering at you just to reiterate that you have to pick a side. You don't remember that?

I agree. To their viewers, Fox News definitely paints the other side as the actual enemy out to get them. Which inevitably results in such a radicalization of that base, even when faced with evidence to the contrary.

14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Is it possible that you had to "pick a side" so that you could learn how to construct a thesis and make an argument? I've had to make arguments in support of things I personally don't support, and it's more to teach you how to make an argument.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yes. This is exactly what I am referring to. And I'm saying that maybe we ought to re-think how that is taught.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Why? I had no issue picking a side I didn't support and writing or debating in favor if it. You're not being told what is right and wrong, you're being taught how to organize thoughts and formulate an argument. Why is this bad?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes, they are. Taxes, abortion, religion, immigration, etc. People who vote Republican have significant disagreements with Democrats.

No, it’s not.

No one remembers your very specific personal experiences.

Joystick Chevron and Lord Vivec like this.
  18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Who here doesn't remember the valedictorian snickering at MotivateR5D4 over not wanting to follow the instructions of an assignment?

19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Because it conditions people from a young age to think that a side has to be picked about everything. Whereas the natural thought process is to look at the complexities of both sides of an argument, examine them equally, and then make a determination about it. I think if that angle was facilitated more in education, than we might not see the extreme polarization about everything that we see today.

Did I really have to specify the sarcasm with that comment?

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Do you really think that the reason things are polarized right now is because in school we had to "pick a side" to write term papers, or maybe it has something to do with how there's a housing crisis, a poverty crisis, and a police state crisis all mixed in with a pandemic?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Don't misinterpret what I said. Obviously it's more complicated than that.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I hate being asked to argue for something in which I did not believe, like telling people to vote Democrat.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I guess I just don't see what these very specific school assignments meant to teach you how to debate has to do with polarization in politics today.

24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It was just a general comment that I had made on the previous page.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That's fair. Though I have no idea about Cuomo's previous career, so I can't comment from that perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.