main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    it's basically taking the place of the US Open Cup, which won't be held this year

Fan art of MLS is Back Trophy:

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    blaise matuidi to inter miami from juve, wow. that's a big get for MLS.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    BeCkHaM eFfEcT

heels1785 likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought I posted this before, but Frank de Boer is out and Atlanta has a new interim head coach now. We've lost a lot of the players that helped with our earlier success, but hopefully a new coach and Josef Martinez returning can turn things around.

The MLS Cup is December 12th. Here's the schedule for the regular season after the tournament finishes tonight: https://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule/2020/return-to-season

Speaking of the tournament final tonight... I'll have to root for Portland, because they're playing Orlando.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I have completely forgot about this tournament since Columbus was eliminated.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I forgot about this tournament after Portland won the yellowcardathon against Philly. But, only because of the blackout level drinking.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  7. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Timbers MLS champions again? Weeeee!

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Technically, no, since being MLS Champions means winning the MLS Cup... which this tournament wasn't. The MLS Cup for 2020 is happening in December.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

"st louis city sc"

[​IMG]

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    More like For the Loo

heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    it took me at least ten minutes to figure out what the **** "the lou" is. i thought they were somehow trying to reach out to the louisville fanbase.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    "City" is getting to be almost as overused as "United".

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    heels1785 likes this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    we should all aspire to be the san jose earthquakes. best name in mls. no fc/sc/real/city/united/inter/sporting - just an absurd, tacky nickname fitting for american soccer.

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't mind the short, simple, European style names... I just think City is getting overused like United already has been, and Real makes no sense in Salt Lake. I actually think some of the older MLS clubs' mascot-style names are worse. If St. Louis followed some of those examples, they'd be the Arches. :p

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've just been waiting for them to copy other Euro clubs instead of just FC, United, and City.

Couldn't they have done St Louis - Saint Germain? Or Lokmotiv St Louis?

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Atlético St. Louis

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We dodged a bullet with a name as simple and digestible as "Union". We could just as easily have been the Real Philadelphia City United.

DarthIntegral and EHT like this.
  18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    "Union" is close to "United", but yeah, it's different enough and sounds pretty good. Even though I love the team, I wish "Atlanta United FC" was just Atlanta FC or FC Atlanta. There are lots of "FCs", too, but in that case it's really just the city name that counts. Everything from FC Barcelona to FC Dallas. And our current logo could still have been used, with just some tweaks to remove and space out lettering.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh

my

Nagbe

EHT and heels1785 like this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    the stones to even try that from so far out. what a player, mix of efficiency and flash.

EHT likes this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    :(

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    TIL Ray Hudson is on Inter Miami's broadcast team and suddenly I was jealous of soccer in Miami for the first time ever.

EHT and heels1785 like this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    it's been a while since i've heard that voice, lost beinsports a few years ago. he is one-of-a-kind.

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    So recently Atlanta has had our first ever loss to Orlando, and tied Miami (who has yet to win any games)... uggh. At any rate, the first game with the new coach was a win (against Nashville), and we're still early in his run here.

Also, apparently we're selling Pity Martinez to a club in Saudi Arabia for $18M, which means a profit is being made after he was brought here from River Plate a couple seasons ago (and has had mixed results here).

heels1785 likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    can do quite a bit with that kind of money in mls.

EHT likes this.