main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    How much weight could Darth Vader lift using his mechanical arms?

(I originally meant "carry" but the thought of Vader lifting weights is too funny to delete)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Why are low temperatures such a big deal for Luke and Han on Hoth? The average temperature in deep space, far away from star systems (or even the dark side of the moon?), is roughly 2.7 Kelvin (-270.45 Celsius, -454.81 Fahrenheit). There is no way Hoth could possibly be colder than that.
    I know that space suits can get pretty hot due to sunlight. But if there is no sunlight there is no heat source. Yet real-life astronauts easily survived in deep space, for a few minutes only of course.
    Anyway, in the SW universe energy sources wouldn't be a huge problem. Why not have built-in heating systems in the clothing the Rebels wear on Hoth? After all a lightsaber must consume incredible amounts of energy. Not only can it cut through anything but is good for extended duels, and all that huge energy comes from a source small and light enough to easily carry with one hand. Would it have been that difficult to have a power source in the suits that would keep the wearer warm for hours or even days?

3. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Space is a vacuum. That makes issues of excess heat or cold fundamentally different. Hoth, by contrast, has normal atmosphere. And winds, so wind chill factor is a thing.

5. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Yes, but even in vacuum temperature can be measured. Total absence of heat would mean absolute zero temperature, so zero degrees Kelvin, the absolute possible minimum. Hoth may have wind chills, but those would not even come close to reaching zero Kelvin.
    But the main question is, how come in SW with all that technology we see they can't do much about cold weather? They fixed all other problems having to do with environment, atmosphere and gravity. But they are helpless on a cold planet?
    Sure, you might say the Rebels were in hiding and had limited resources. Still, they had advanced weapons, star fighters, ion cannons powerful enough to disable technologically much superior Imperial star destroyers, snow speeders etc. Those would require LOTS of power. We have seen the huge generators the Rebel base had. Yet they couldn't manage to provide enough heat for one single human being (the same person who destroyed the Death Star!) to survive a night in the cold? I find that a little hard to swallow, though I know you need to suspend disbelief when watching SW, or almost any sci-fi movie for that matter. Still, there should be SOME kind of logic and reasoning.
    Same problem I have with teddy bears defeating elite Imperial troops. I can somehow manage to get what Lucas was trying to do, that the Endor battle was supposed to somehow reflect the Vietnam war, where supposedly "inferior" troops won against technologically advanced ones. But he apparently couldn't decide whether he wanted Ewoks to be "cute" and kid-friendly, or were meant to be some kind of fearsome "space Vietcong". Interesting idea, from a certain point of view, but the execution simply didn't convince me at all. If you really want to have some kind of Vietcong in a fantasy movie, at least make them appear a little more dangerous and less "cute".
    I think that even the Gungans fighting the droid army were WAY more convincing. At least they had advanced weapons as well, so were roughly equal to the enemy. Unlike the Ewoks, who used nothing but stones, arrows and tree trunks. To me they are the OT's major flaw.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Heat flows from a hot body to a cold environment much more slowly in vacuum than in atmosphere - because in vacuum, it can only be radiated away. In atmosphere, other means of heat flow come into play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer

So, the process of "staying alive in Antarctica, or the Arctic", will be very different from the process of "staying alive in a spaceship in the shadow of a planet".

Han and Luke do survive a night in the cold - thanks to Han putting up a shelter.

Maybe that shelter can be made of "incredibly insulating fabric" and Han brought a tiny generator to warm the shelter up once in it, if you like.

Whatever Han does, it works - they're still alive the next morning.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  7. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Sure enough, but ONLY because Han used Luke's lightsaber and they happened to have a dead but still warm Tauntaun for shelter. Setting up that tent was the long-term solution to survive the night. But it's made pretty clear that even Han was in no condition or lacked the skill to both keep Luke alive AND set up the tent in time.
    Would they have survived without either Tauntaun or lightsaber? Silly and moot question, I know, because Luke would definitely NOT have survived the Wampa lair without his lightsaber. That lightsaber was the single most important object that kept both of them alive till the next morning. So I repeat my question. If energy supply is this easy and long-lasting then why not use some of it to create more protection against cold in clothing?
    So Han would only have found Luke's bones, IF he were lucky. In our world we have GPS and practically anyone with a smartphone can easily be tracked. Strange they have nothing even remotely similar in SW. I guess they have different technological priorities in the GFFA.
    Great lightsaber technology however! That battery was still fine after at least half a day in extreme cold. My current smartphone battery wouldn't even have lasted a minute.:p
    Very possible! Still Han had to rely on Luke's lightsaber to keep Luke alive even for those critical few minutes it took him to set up the shelter.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    GPS requires a network of satellites. There being GPS satellites around a planet that's supposed to be uninhabited, would be a dead give-away to those hunting for them.

Django Fett likes this.
  9. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    True. I should have expressed myself more clearly. I didn't mean actual GPS as used on earth, but some kind of tracking system. In ANH I think they call it "homing device". What Obi-Wan throws onto the Slave I on Kamino is also some sort of tracker, making it possible for him to follow Jango to Geonosis. Those devices don't need satellites. Surely a small device like Obi-Wan used could have been carried by Luke on Hoth?

10. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    That probe droid didn't seem to have any trouble making sure the Imperial fleet could track it easily.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  11. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Luke may have had a tracker contained in his wrist communicator, it may have been broken in the Wampa attack, if Han had one then that would be the question.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Zev has to do a bit of searching, till Han contacts him - "Good morning - nice of you guys to drop by".

13. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    How exactly do tracking fobs work in the mandalorian?

14. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    What if the probe detaches part of itself outside of orbit to act as a relay, combine that with clear weather conditions and the fleet's greater communications array?

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Technically or generally? In other words, are you asking the engineering behind it or how it works in practice? :p

16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I would think they’d all have some tracking devices on their wrist communicator in case they get lost (like what happened with Luke.) It’s possible Luke’s communicator was barely working, which is why Han (after a struggle) found him seemingly so quickly.

Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Was Luke being guided subconsciously by Obi-Wan? He could've gone off in any direction after leaving the Wampa's cave but he just happens to going in the direction Han is coming from...

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  18. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    As Obi-Wan puts it, "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

Bazinga'd likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How long does it take for the Death Star to travel from the Alderaan system to the Yavin system? The Millennium Falcon is one of the fastest ships in hyperspace, and if I'm not mistaken the Death Star is one of the slowest. Shouldn't that have been enough time for the Rebels to have evacuated their base instead of sitting around waiting for their imminent doom to arrive?

Also, when the Falcon arrives at Yavin, there's that guy in that tower pointing a pistol at it. Why is he there? There's no way he'd spot incoming ships before long-range sensors did so, and his blaster is certainly no good for shooting them down if they're hostile. (Also, while I was in the middle of typing this, I went on Youtube and discovered this.)

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    IIRC, the "pistol" is supposed to be a scanner or something like that.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Less than a day, at least:

"This will been a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi, and it will soon see the end of the Rebellion".

I'd speculate that at least part of the reason they don't evacuate, is that they need to continue to present a tempting target. If the Death Star jumps in, and cannot detect Rebel activity on-planet, cannot detect the active rebel base, then it won't hang around - it'll just head for targets like the home planets of other senior Rebel figures besides Leia.

The goal, is to destroy it before it destroys any more planets besides Alderaan.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  22. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    How much does Palpatine know about Han by the end of the OT? He's talking about him (and Leia) when he says 'your friends' in ROTJ.

23. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Doubtful he knows anything specific. I took the "your friends" to mean the Rebels, not Han and Leia, specifically.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Plapy and Han were old drinking buddies. This will be explored in the Solo Disney+ show as directed by Richard Linklater

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    And Palpatine would've got away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids.

canuckmuse likes this.