main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion "Star Wars: Underworld" test footage

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by xezene, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    lets not pretend it wouldn't be as bad as the prequels. It's good thing Disney now has as now we can have great acting. It's better to have both cgi and practical. and the test footage shows me George haven't reaaly become better since the prequels. Let Dave and other's come up with imagination and creative stories but also good acting.

2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Riiight. Also, what makes you think George had anything to do with the shoot of that test footage?

3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It was just test footage so there was no story to act out. no on cared about the acting. and likely was directed by an effects guy who just wanted a demo of what they could do.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    That may be, but George wastes money on CGI effects instead, and even good actors are often lost with working only against blue screen....
    I seriously don't think he would've changed those takes since he hated re-shoots in prequels as well, George Lucas has never really cared much about actors performance, that's a sad truth, in prequels he was interested in the effects mostly.

5. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    The CGI arguement is lost in todays world because how much CGI and green screen do you think is used in movies these days? The Jungle book was 98% CGI right? and how much do you think is used in the Mandalorian? you think in the episode with the AT-ST they were running away from a real built mech? or were the actors just running away from... well nothing. when done well, todays CGI can look seamless.

And yeah now they have this technique where they can shoot in studios against a 3D screen and make it look like they are outside. i guess it saves traveling.

I get the feeling George like CGI because even he would admit he wasn't the best at directing actors. and you can make changes to CGI fairly easy if you happen to change your mind about something. he has the imagination, he just struggled at molding performances.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    My point was less about CGI and more about Lucas' lacks of interest or lack of skill to direct the actors. In prequels CGI-technology was crude and many actors were lost in the scenes with blue screens only, there was nothing to act together with. As far as I've head many actors complained about that and Lucas was not that interested. This is easier now with motion capture suits etc. since they have evolved.

CGI itself is the great tool if used well, Lucas just was not that interested in the results of actors performances, otherwise prequels would be better as movies. About Jungle Book I cannot say since I haven't seen it. But Lion King remake looks absolutely horrifying, the reason it not that it's CGI though, but because it's CGI in which real-looking lions speak and that is creepy as hell....

Sure Lucas has imagination, that has never been a problem, result is just better when someone else does the directing job, Lucas has great ideas and overall vision but he is not a great director and his dialogue is hard and often actors struggled with it, but Lucas didn't seem to understand or care...

7. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    George was planning on directing the pilot originally. But presumably it was gonna have different directors for the rest. So no matter what your view is on the PT it probably wouldn't have mattered much for this show.

The point of the test footage was to create the universe for a TV Budget back then.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    But these aren’t “takes.” They’re test footage. Proof of concept stuff. Shooting the actual show wouldn’t be “reshooting.” It would be shooting it for the first time. Think of this as an elaborate pre-viz, almost.

Alexrd likes this.
  9. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    I find there's almost no way to evaluate this. As the Mando gallery show demonstrates, the pre-viz process has evolved since then.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    On the record, do you guys think one day the underworld show will happen?

I reading years ago Disney was thinking about reviving the show and still no word from them. If they are reviving it, I think it might be a little different from what George Lucas might of originally intended.

11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The scripts have been picked over just like the EU has for current projects, so the thing itself will never be in its originally intended form. We can hope for some kind of Coruscant/Core Worlds thing at some point at most. I'd say that's likely, even, because the Wild West thing is being leaned on pretty heavily these days and they'll need to change that up in time. The Cassian series may touch on that.

12. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Maybe with a new management, which I doubt could that could be revived, there could be a Star Wars underworld show, both the force unleashed 3 and Star Wars 1313.

It wishful thinking, I doubt it will happen but we might have Star Wars underworld tv show which stands a better chance for revival than the other two video games canceled and there will be a new leadership in LucasFilm at some point.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah, the Coruscant Underworld is a real, recent, thing in the Canon.... the middle episodes of the recent Clone Wars.
    So it's there to be used with an established look and mood and maybe characters.
    It's not impossible that was a sneak peek at something they are planning.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    No i don't think it will happen. the scripts will probably be repurposed

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Rogue One apparently came from the tv show scripts so that would be definitely be right out. I'd say the Cassian show would use them but it's gone through 2 writers at this point so who knows

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I have a feeling some of the Underworld material will be incorporated into the Cassian show, given the time period alignment and likeliness of Cassian visiting urban planets as a spy.

indydefense likes this.
  17. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I've read through many of the comments here and the one thing which wasn't picked up is that BOBA FETT - yes for all you drooling fanboys out there who so desperately want to see him in Mandalorian - was going to be in Underworld! There is promo artwork featuring the character and he featured on the original promo image. On top of this, Underworld was inspired by Battlestar Galactica so there's a good chance it was going to have a very adult feel to it.

So does that now change the perspective of those who keep judging the entire series on this test footage, especially those who are comparing this - a show which was NEVER made - to Mandalorian? Moreover, as was mentioned by someone else Underworld, 1313 and some of the last season 5 TCW eps set on level 1311 if I recall were all going to tie in together which would've been outstanding.

So put all your prejudice aside and acknowledge that back in 2010 Underworld would've been FANTASTIC to see! Or you can look at it this way, sure Mandalorian is a great show, but imagine an adult based, live action series set on Coruscant during the Imperial era made by George Lucas AND with Boba Fett, well I know which one I'd pick.

18. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Bit optimistic putting this one in the Current/Future forum

indydefense likes this.
  19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It did not. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if they took elements from it like they did elsewhere.
    https://www.cbr.com/rogue-one-star-wars-tv-pitch/

El_Machete12, Riv_Shiel and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. The Lonely Lizard

The Lonely Lizard Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2020
    Actually, you’re wrong that it would be as bad as the Prequels, it would actually be as great as, if not better than the Prequels. I’m sorry you don’t like George Lucas, always dump on him and hate his Prequels, but a lot of us fans like him and his prequels. I would’ve liked to see this show happen. Just because you don’t doesn’t give you the right to say other fans shouldn’t too.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Actually i quite like George Lucas and The prequels. But Lucas was better at his ideas and visionary then writing and direction that he didn't like. use to mutch cgi and not enough practical.

22. The Lonely Lizard

Aug 13, 2020
    Well, at least you can see he used both CGI and practical effects for his movies and not give into the GLRMCH narrative that the Prequels had “all CG, no practical”. So I’ll give u that. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Mayby when i crittize i sound like i hate something, but no it's becuase i like or love them and i the srory of the prequels are great if noly better acted and directing.

24. The Lonely Lizard

Aug 13, 2020
    Well, glad you said that, because the first half of your statement was exactly how I felt.

25. I hope someday we see more of the planned stories for this show just like with Palpatine backstory

indydefense and CernStormrunner like this.