main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Boys and Gen V

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Jul 26, 2019.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just finished watching the first season the other day. I know it's been out a while, but I'll share my quick spoiler-less thoughts.
    • I didn't know what to expect as I never read the comic this is based on, but I've heard good things hence why I gave this show a shot
    • The writers definitely went for the "holy **** shock value" at least once per episode and most of them worked
    • It's funny how you kind of hate certain characters at first and then later sympathize with them i.e. Homelander
    • Some characters had a very weak arc so I hope they get more time to shine in Season 2 i.e. Queen Maeve
    • The acting wasn't that great, but there were a few standouts
    • I'll definitely be checking out Season 2

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You sympathize with.. Homelander?

5. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, we aren't really given much of his backstory as the mysteries unfold with Compound V. We see him as a baby in a secure setting with a blanket as the only thing he remembers. He probably was the first of his kind so he was feared and controlled by his creators/scientists so I buy that he turns into an *** **** because of it.

Then his focus becomes finding his son. I didn't get the whole attachment with his boss and the baby, but then it made sense because he lost his son. And there's definitely more to the story to unfold. Was Butcher's wife really raped for 3 hours? Seems unlikely. So as a father who wanted to find his son, I did find sympathy towards his plight as he was constantly lied to.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So... you sympathize with... Homelander?

None of what you said explains any of his behavior, let alone excuses any of it. He's three-dimensional, but he's still entirely terrifying.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I hope the boys get on the compound v next season

Jedi Merkurian and jp-30 like this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    To sympathize with someone is to free sorry for that person. I don't need to explain his behavior nor do I excuse him for it. I feel pity for his misfortune in life.

Is he a bad person who does bad things? Heck yes.
    Is he a terrifying person? Double heck yes, especially if you wrong him.
    Do I feel bad / sorry for him that he was lied to just so the company could maintain some level of control over a super-man they feared? Yes, I do. I do also understand why the company did what they did because they fear him. He's a living god and could probably take over the planet if he wanted to.

The whole show is about control. Does the company have it? Do The Boys have it? Does the god like figure of Homelander have it? Do any of us have control over their life? I think our glimmer of hope of having some sort of control comes from the Hughie character.

It would be cool to see what would happen i.e. what kind of power they would get and how they would use it, but I hope (a) none of them would get hooked on it, and (b) it doesn't become the "gummy berry juice" of the show and they take it when they need it to fight a Supe.

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    They were all on it in the comic

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Holy **** balls.

11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
  12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    In a dick move, Amazon have decided to release the first three episodes of Season 2 on release day with the rest being released each week

[face_plain]

why? what is the point of streaming services if they won't drop them all at once.

Yodaminch and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    To keep you subscribed.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    heels1785 and Diggy like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This is how Doom Patrol is being done as well.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The Boys is 8 episodes, and thus will be released in a 35 day period. It’s not about keeping people subscribed.

Yodaminch and FatBurt like this.
  17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Diggy likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Although I'm not a regular watcher, I am familiar with him as the other half watches. In fact, I've even been to his bar in Austin (something for you to check out next time you visit your daughter, Freida?)

SO I cna see hiom going either way, being part of The Boys, or being a direct rival to Homelander. He actually would have been as a good a Homelander as Antony Starr.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    If he’s playing Soldier Boy he’s in for a rough time

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I need to read these, don’t I?

Jedi Ben and Healer_Leona like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    100%

Diggy and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    They're on an ever growing list of things I need to read.

Every time I visit the daughter we hit Family Business Brewery, Im fond of their stout, Grackle. One December got a pic with him as he was there. :D

I've been reading up on Soldier Boy and I can see Jensen having fun with this part.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Diggy , Darth Punk and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    dig this is next on my list after I finish the americans. starting season 6 now, the filthy american dogs are nearly defeated. that's what happens, right?

Diggy likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For anyone contemplating it. the comics are very different to the series.

For the first 25 issues, it is Garth Ennis ripping the hell out of DC and Marvel any which way he can, hacking off DC so much in the first 6 issues, the series had to move to Dynamite.

After the Herogasm mini, Ennis started to change course, taking an anti-corporate tack and weaving in as many war stories as he could get away with on the sly.

The second half was far more interesting than the first, still had pieces of gross-out humour that the first half had, but there was a different tone that worked better.

It's an excellent demonstration of the two styles Ennis tends to veer between in all his work - shock jock comedy and serious. His best work is found on the serious side for the most part. but Hitman and Preacher are also a blast.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I missed it, but noticed it was mentioned above, that all episodes aren't being released at once.
    Here's the release schedule according to FutonCritic.

9/4/20 (Fr.) 3:01 AM AMAZON (#201-203) TBA
    9/11/20 (Fr.) 3:01 AM AMAZON (#204) TBA
    9/18/20 (Fr.) 3:01 AM AMAZON (#205) TBA
    9/25/20 (Fr.) 3:01 AM AMAZON (#206) TBA
    10/2/20 (Fr.) 3:01 AM AMAZON (#207) TBA
    10/9/20 (Fr.) 3:01 AM AMAZON (#208) TBA

Also, for a laugh, here's the Honest Trailer treatment for The Boys.