main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite Star Wars film and Why (Revised)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, May 10, 2020.

?

Which Star Wars film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

14 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

16 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

45 vote(s)
    22.3%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

29 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

60 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

21 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

11 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    well you just called her old so she's probably mad again [face_tee_hee]

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Then my work here is done. [face_party]

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  4. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    As a child, it was AOTC, because let's be honest, the arena and the Battle of Geonosis and the starfighter chase are awesome.

Then it became Return of the Jedi - what an amazingly triumphant conclusion to an epic trilogy.

Nowadays it's Empire. It has everything that Star Wars is: a stunning vision of a galaxy far, far away. An external and internal struggle between good and evil. Thrilling action. Sublime music. And all of that packaged in the sharpest dialogue, editing, and photography in the saga. A near-perfect, genuine space opera masterpiece.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  5. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    A New Hope. It so easily could have been an incoherent ugly mess of a movie. Luckily for everyone, through hard work, imagination, and some happy mistakes, it all fit into place and it wasn’t a mess—it was a masterpiece.

CampOfSorgan, Nhisso, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  6. jedi35

jedi35 Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2020
    vi
    vader kills Palpatine and saves his son=D=

Ithorians and Emperor Ferus like this.
  7. Nhisso

Nhisso Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2020
    I would have said RotJ until recently. I have a confession (I think I've made it on this site before, so sorry if any one has seen it before): I only saw RotS and the Sequels, Rogue 1 and Solo just this year during the Rona lockdowns. I watched The Clone Wars back in like 2015 or 16. I didnt even know Rebels, which I love, and Resistance and TCW movie existed til I got Disney+ during Rona lockdowns as well.

Ive played every SW game, and have seen the Original Trilogy 1000 times over. But, after TPM, I refused to see AotC. But then someone made me watch it. It was in some ways worse than TPM, some ways better. I gave up on SW movies after that.

Then I watched every movie with my kids in order of release (except Solo and Rogue 1 which we watched in that order after the other movies).

But man I love RotS. It had some issues, but not like the rest of the prequels. Im sorry, but Hayden Christensen is a horrible, horrible actor and i felt his portrayal of Anakin was awful. Frankly, Natalie Portman is awful, too. But the plot and premise, and a bit of imagination when Portman and Christensen were delivering lines throughout the movie really made them bearable lol. And Order 66 is my favorite moment in all of Star Wars and one of my favs in any movie ever. Not because I cheer for the Empire, but because it was very emotional for a Star Wars fan. Especially after wondering for over a decade what RotS was like because I avoided it so as to not sully my view of the movies even more.
    My 8 year old loves that moment too. He makes every one be quiet and has me turn up the volume on what he calls Order 66's "very dramatical music"

But the action is perfect, and technology was really perfected by the time it was made in regards to CGI. Obi Wan is finally a badass. Yoda has a real fight. All the changes occur and we get to see what made SW universe what it was when we meet it in the original trilogy.

RotS is what all the rest of the movies after should have emulated in presentation and drama IMO. I was shocked to see that it's the favorite on this poll, too. I didn't think it was so revered.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I was not born during the OT or close to it, Am true PT fan who loves all stat wars even the Sequels, yess we do exist. I have had a long time to think about it and i have to say it. of all 11 movies that i love it's still the TLJ that tops it for me. Maybe it's becuase I love Luke and the jedi with nostalgia for their histoy.

The B pplots of TLJ dosen't bother me very mutch as it seems others as i remember the B plots of the other movies when they first came out. TLJ takes Luke to intresting places and makes him feel more human, it refrences the history of the jedi and the PT with Palpatine.

We get Luke doing his yoda momment with explaining the force and what it means. The light and dark and balance, reffrencing the chosen one. We get Luke almsot doing what Anakin did with the younglings. Ben reminds me mutch of Anakin in this movie with him and Snoke and later him and Luke reminds me of Obi wan and Anakin when he said he fail him and Luke saying the same to his newphew. It has some the best shots in the entire saga. Luke doing what jedi is supposed to do and this force projection reminds me of the crazt things we see in clone wars with magic and force gods.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  9. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Favourite is still The empire strikes back.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  10. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    joint between ANH and rouge one. ANH still has the magic to me after watching it for over 40 years. I watch rouge one the most out of recent ones

Chancellor Yoda and Sarge like this.
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars at its most operatic, and Lucas at his peak at a visual storyteller.

12. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    The Empire Strikes Back. I really enjoy the action and the chemistry between the main characters, especially Han and Leia. I also prefer the mainly mechanical effects (with some later CGI add-ons) to the in-your-face CGI of the prequels.

It's also a matter of familiarity, I've seen the sequels once each, Solo and Rogue One twice each, the prequels maybe about five times each, and the original trilogy more than twenty times each.

13. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    Ep. V The Empire Strikes Back. I am a very lucky man to be able to have seen all of the Star Wars movies original releases in theaters. "Empire" is my favorite movie of all time. For several reasons: 1) It has the greatest cinematic reveal of any movie.
    2) Introduction of The Emporer
    3) Introduction of Yoda
    4) some of the best lines in the series
    5) reveals most of the story for the original trilogy

Arwen Sith and Emperor Ferus like this.
  14. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I think the best is The Empire Strikes Back for obvious reasons - it's not held up in such high regard by most fans for nothing. However, my favourite is probably Return of the Jedi. I think it's got a lot of warmth to it, I don't mind the Ewoks, I love how Luke has undergone off-screen character development and is now a Jedi Knight, and it features Vader's redemption and really brings the films to a perfect close.

The bit with everybody celebrating with the Empire defeated warms my heart everytime. I went through all of the films (apart from Solo) with my girlfriend not so long back because she'd not seen any of them, and while she was very impressed with Revenge of the Sith, The Empire Strikes Back and Rogue One, RotJ was her favourite and I realised through the rewatch it was mine too.

15. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    My favorite is rogue one.. Not on list

Chancellor Yoda and Sarge like this.
  16. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    I wanted to write an own post but then I saw yours. Instead of typing something super similar I just want to pay respect to this beautifully written ode to the first produced SW film. 100% agree. It was an inspiration and it is still a benchmark.

17. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I love all 9..well all 11

KyleKartan likes this.
  18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    "The Last Jedi"
    First, it did the nearly impossible for a huge corporate franchise film and actually took the story in a new direction in a beautiful way, while keeping the basic Star Wars trilogy tenet of functioning as the 2nd act of a 3 act play. I actually don't think it was responsible for the trilogy as a whole feeling aimless and disjointed --- I don't agree that it retconned anything from TFA. TFA established that Luke had been isolating himself from the war and TLJ gave us a far more credible justification for that than anything I can remember from fan speculation: he considered himself a major part of the problem.
    Second, the music was at it's most operatically brilliant.
    Third, it gave us not 1, not 2, but 3 classic, iconically operatic, and surprising jaw-dropping moments: Kylo's betrayal of Snoke, Holdo's lightspeed maneuver, and the revelation of Luke's astral projection.
    All while telling a very cohesive story. I completely attribute the sense of trilogy disjointedness to TROS, which seemed to play things way too safe and, with the possible exception of Rey and Kylo's relationship, kept the contributions from TLJ to a superficial minimum.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  19. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Revenge of the Sith! The first time I saw it in 2005 as a kid I absolutely loved it, and I appreciate it even more now. The storytelling and stakes are unbelievable, and it ties in so well the OT. It makes Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader the most compelling character in the history of cinema.

The Last Jedi is very close behind it. I walked out of the theater in 2017 absolutely mind blown. A film has never affected/moved me more than it, and it just continues to get better with each watch. If it wasn't for some of the misplaced humor, it might take #1.

20. DarthXela

DarthXela Jedi Master

May 26, 2005
    ROTS. The atmosphere from beginning to end was amazing, sounds and visuals plus the soundtrack were the best in the series IMHO.
    We get to see the death of the Republic and the birth of the Empire with the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker (from hero to villain.)

A close second is ESB.

21. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I agree. The film goes through so many changes emotionally. The upbeat banter opening is fun, great action, going through Anakin's emotions right along with him during the film, the fear and heartbreak. Like @anakinfansince1983 said, I watch it to the end with that "if only" feeling.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Edit: wrong thread

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  23. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    While I do enjoy The Last Jedi mostly, I disagree with you about it being a 2nd act and not being the cause of the disjointedness (which it absolutely was).

There was clear hints in TFA that something was special about Rey beyond simply being Force-sensitive. In TLJ, the entire opposite is made out, that Rey is simply no one and that anybody can be special (while that is a beautiful sentiment to have had in SW, it 100 % causes disjointedness in Rey's narrative).

It feels largely like a conclusion rather than the middle entry. Snoke and Luke die, there's all the stuff about 'let the past die', it does feel like a shutting of the book rather than a close jump to the end.

DarthFixxxer, DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    For me ESB and TROS - YES, TROS - were close, but Revenge of the Sith is my favorite.

It just contains all the things I had waited for ever since I first heard the PT was going to be a thing. It contains some of the best special effects of the whole saga, set design, costume design, and uses all the world building done by TPM and AOTC to great effect. We are introduced to a vast range of interesting planets (Kashyyyk is my favorite) and alien races. Also it is a very pivotal point in the story of the whole saga, and GL did NOT drop the ball in helping us as viewers recognize the magnitude of what was going on in this episode, and what it meant for the galaxy. There are some really compelling themes here, that can resonate with us in real life-the burden of making choices and how they affect more than just oneself, and the effects of war and the passing of an era. There's a really clear sense of tenseness and impending doom throughout the film, which can be felt in the background in many scenes (for example, the council chamber containing several members participating via hologram, since they're all spread out around the galaxy due to the war, and Jedi riding around casually on Republic gunships just to get from one place to another.). Anakin's turn is believable in terms of his motivations leading to his choice.

You can tell that THIS is the prequel GL really wanted to make. The acting is better, the dialogue more compelling and/or fun (at least compared to I and II), It has a rip-roaring, throw-you-into-the-action opening sequence, great fight coreography, some smart reflections of ancient mythology tales, and some truly emotional moments. It also ties together continuity-wise in a clear way that's clear but not just blatant in-your-face fan servicey, but just obvious enough to tie the trilogies together effectively. And it has the perfect ending sequence and iris out. In all of this it really is a grand and epic film both visually and story-wise.

Okay. I've met my gushing quota for the day. Maybe the month.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  25. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Agree to disagree, then. It seemed clear to me that what was special about Rey was that she had these immense powers in the Force. Her problem was that she didn't know what to do with them. It was the reverse for OT Luke. He had an ambition - to honor the memory of his father - but his problem was that he wasn't strong in the Force. People don't seem to appreciate that yin/yang aspect between the protagonists of these two trilogies, or even realize it. And as for feeling like a conclusion, I am supremely mystified by this. Snoke was a red-herring (dramatically speaking, not just as a Palpatine creation revealed in TROS), as Kylo clearly took over the First Order, eliminating most of the Resistance in the process. The entire Resistance was so dwindled in numbers, that they all literally fit inside the Millennium Falcon at the end, to barely escape with their lives. I don't understand how that feels at all like an overarching ending. And Luke's sacrificial death? I don't understand why that's relevant, other than that people can't seem to accept that he's no longer the main character. Rey is the main character. If *she* died, I'd agree with you. But she didn't and this is *her* story, not *his*. The whole idea was that Luke being the "Yoda" figure of this trilogy was a misdirection. Leia would take up that spot, handling most of Rey's training between movies. To me, this trilogy wasn't about Rey becoming a Jedi, but about her finding the right use for the power that she found awakened inside of her.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Merrin and Sarge like this.