main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Has nothing to do with it being forced to Shut Down the California one was open for almost a year and it was a disaster. Fans weren't paying for it staying in the hotel and going to the Park. It had issues before 2020.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    ChildOfWinds and PendragonM like this.
  2. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    There's nothing wrong with that, but they should've been upfront about it. Nobody saw Into the Spider-Verse thinking Miles Morales was Peter Parker's son, even though the story sets him up as a successor. Even if they wanted the shock twist of "Rey Nobody", the ST would be less disappointing if RJ had followed up with at least something interesting and fitting of an epic fantasy tale; Explain Snoke and/or the philosophy of the First Order. Really, actually dive into the history of the Jedi/Sith instead of just having Luke make a Reddit post about how the prequels suck. Have him actually bond with Rey at some point in the film. Rey Nobody was just one disappointing moment in the never-ending ocean of anti-climax that was TLJ.

Also, if you want the "anybody can be powerful" message, actually commit to it. Baiting the audience by promising a trooper-turned-Jedi, only to completely dump that character doesn't seem to fit that inclusive vision of the Force.

3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    [face_rofl] they promised that?

Darkstrider likes this.
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yes, they did, they marketed Finn with a lightsaber before release

5. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Thats not a promise.

The marketing promised The Rise of Skywalker was going to be the adventure of a lifetime and it was not.

Darkstrider likes this.
  6. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    [
    Multiple times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there was this official trailer for the Force Awakens where Finn is showing facing off against Kylo Ren while wielding a lightsaber.

That scene was also included in a promo interview with John Boyega.

He is also shown battling a stormtrooper using a lightsaber in this official TV Spot.

The only other two people presented with lightsabers in the promotional material are both force sensitive. It was a blatant bait-and-switch.

If anyone went into the Force Awakens, thinking that Finn was going to be force-sensitive based on the marketing campaign, that's 100% on the film's marketing because it definitely presented Finn as force-sensitive.

7. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Nice marketing. Is Rey a ninja turtle in that version?

Darkstrider likes this.
  8. FromDromundKaasWithLove

Jan 20, 2020
    What?

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Rey did throw her enemies into the screen. (Ninja Turtle SNES game reference.)

godisawesome likes this.
  10. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Imagine coming out of TFA and still thinking Finn is gonna be the Jedi.

Darkstrider likes this.
  11. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    She has Donatellos staff, yet no lightsabre. Gosh they lied to us Rey turned out to be the jedi!

Darkstrider and christophero30 like this.
  12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

THIS. My god just do something, ANYTHING. Rey didn't have to be a skywalker, but to just say "her parents were drunks! haw!" , was like "uh......ok.".

"Her parents were force cultists who dumped rey on jakku to prevent the first order from stealing her", "Her parents were sith acolytes that decided to protect their daughter from going down the same dark and torturous path they went.", "her parents were ascendancy spies that were killed by new republic operatives",etc. They could've done anything but nothing. How could you write and direct star wars films while being seemingly uninterested in the world of star wars?

13. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    At least Finn held and fought with a lightsaber in the movie. I don't think Kylo was ever a villain that had much going for him, even as a character. But I've seen pushes for him to have been the villain of TROS.
    Why should bloodline be a reason, when those aren't supposed to matter?

14. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I’m sorry I don’t follow your comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The “protagonist being random story” would probably have had more staying power, and Kylo’s redemption might seem less obnoxious and repetitive, if they really did the “flash forward with messages from the past” idea to sell the story, with Kylo not being Ben Solo at all.

I think the more general “empty” feeling is caused by the dissonance and Morton’s Fork of having Kylo be the last Skywalker, a villain, and ultimately a supporting figure to another character’s story - that “formula” is what’s almost certainly behind Kylo dying so he wouldn't overshadow Rey (I know *I* make that claim and can be a bit obnoxious myself, but I *do* think that LFL and Abrams genuinely believed that as well.)

Ben Solo presents a conduit to payoff on momentum from the previous trilogies and a substance for the family story we’ve constantly been following... but he’s also doomed by his role and the narrative issues posed by the story around him. If LFL was determined it get a substance and excitement through him as the last Skywalker, than he really should have been outright promoted to lead above Rey and survived the film - but in the same way that LFL almost certainly started the ST with the the belief “Kylo will end up redeemed as Ben Solo,” they also held that “Rey is our main hero and the main protagonist standing triumphant at center stage by the end.”

The problem was the the way the story unfolded made those two elements clash and undercut each other.

Maybe if “Rey of Jakku” were matched by “Ben of Corellia” instead of Ben Solo, or if Rey Skywalker/Solo were matched with Ben Solo, it would have worked better to have both characters approach the Skywalker legacy from the same angle, so that at no point does Kylo’s tie to the legacy threaten to overwhelm Rey’s and necessitate killing him off to preserve her place in the story, allowing both to equally promote themselves as part of the legacy.

I’d actually have to argue the counter to that would be “Imagine coming out of TFA and still thinking Kylo is going to get redeemed/be the Skywalker.”

Abrams appears to have intended for Finn to at least be set up as a Jedi, considering both TFA and TROS tell the story of Finn’s Force senses awakening. And I’d say that most Finn fans left TFA perfectly aware he wouldn’t be the Jedi... just like how most Kylo fans left TFA likely thinking he wouldn’t be the Skywalker - in the sense of the lead role and main hero the Skywalker legacy would go through - Rey as at least the metaphorical heir was accepted as the natural meaning of her getting the saber.

Though, yes, I would not be surprised if there were some Finn fans who hoped he would be the main hero overall... just like there are probably some Kylo fans who might have hoped he would be the main hero as well.

Both cases, to use a Star Wars phrase, would be delusions of grandeur.

16. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    C3-PO was marketed as a sith for TROS. Same difference really.
    My memories may deceive me about Rogue One but there we had a force sensitive who was never a jedi. Anyone can wield a lightsaber or a gun but that doesn't make them a jedi or a storm trooper or a smuggler.

Hence I never even considered that Finn will become a jedi just because of using a lightsaber and I actually felt it was quite forced that they made him into a force-sensitive. That's my take on it anyways. I didn't have those expectations.

When we found out right at the beginning that Kylo was a Skywalker, I was quite happy that we may have a Skywalker villain but what with Disney being at the helm, there my expectation was that he does turn back to the light side by the end. I was kinda holding out to the end but hey. [face_laugh]:kylo::tie::kylosaber:

17. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    that is just it...people see something taken out of context and interpret it the way it makes sense to them or the way they want it to happen and when one way's expectations don't meet the reality they get disappointed/angry blaming big bad Disney and JJ for manipulating them when really one should self reflect and acknowledge it was their choice to buy in to their expectation. Ultimately, it is impossible to satisfy everybody.

or...and this is quite probable...
    it is ALL Kylo's fault like everything really [face_tee_hee]

@ChildOfWinds
    I am sorry that you feel that way about star wars now. I understand the feeling of hurt, because I think everyone on these boards had their hopes crushed about at least one part of the story (throughout all 9 movies) that meant something to them. For me it is the killing off the last Skywalker. But not much we can do than to accept it? And try not to make others who liked what we disliked feel bad about themselves for liking it.

Personally I was never much interested in Leia's character prior to TROS, probably because she was always depicted as just a passive Force user. In the OT I thought she was represented as a stereotype that didn't sit with me well and of course lacked Han's charms for me to consider her likeable. In the ST they could have done so much more with that character, but for some reason they didn't and they made such a disservice to her. But I don't think that is solely the responsibility of the writers, there is also a lot that depends on the actor's capabilities. Carrie looked much more engaged in TFA, while in TLJ it seemed she even had trouble walking (that walking stick she used did not look like a prop to me) and her facial expressions and talking seemed blunt somehow. So maybe it was not possible to engage her into more scenes? Because I do agree with you it was a total miss that we didn't get to see any of the scenes of Kylo and Leia together, after that intro mental contact they have when Kylo chooses to not bomb her. But you gotta ask yourself another legitimate question, if she went to confront Kylo, what would be Luke's purpose in TLJ and what would be the story of 9?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    sian1965 and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    In a way, one could say that Kylo Ren’s fall was caused by a dark spell cast on him long ago by the Emperor. Through years of manipulation, the Emperor had twisted Ben Solo into his ultimate tool for revenge. Even revealing himself and his influence to Ren did not break the spell, for it is natural that a Sith should want to betray his master.

And yet the spell did break in Rise of Skywalker, and I’m still unclear as to why. It was Leia and Rey’s joint influence, but what exactly happened at the Death Star ruins? Leia’s spirit seems to have bonded with Kylo then, because she did not fully disappear into the Force until he died later on. And Rey’s actions, dealing a killing blow and the healing it, don’t seem to be the key to his turn. So was Rey mainly a messenger in some way, allowing Leia to perform through her whatever it was that finally broke off the Emperor’s influence on Ren?

19. FromDromundKaasWithLove

Jan 20, 2020
    Yeah, my bad. I misremembered a promo featuring Finn, Rey and Kylo Ren.

This line "The only other two people presented with lightsabers in the promotional material are both force sensitive." was incorrect.

Point still stands: the Force Awakens marketing constantly showed Finn with a lightsaber in the promotional material including in one of the official trailers where he was facing off against the movie's villain in a lightsaber duel. It was clearly selling the impression that he was force-sensitive.

godisawesome and Blastaar like this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I mean, that's probably a result of...you know...bad writing.

See, this is what I mean. Leia's the one dictating his actions and thoughts, not him? She's not really gone, I guess, because of his death somehow? Rey was a messenger for Leia's sake? I don't get how a protagonist being a mere baton between Leia and Kylo is really that emotionally resonant. It isn't for me.

Imagine watching the way Finn turned out by the end of the trilogy and being upset with people who think that would have been better.

21. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Marketing. Simple as that.

That conspiracy theory around the Chinese marketing and Finn is also just conspiracy. In the Chinese poster Finn is leveled against Phasma, who is his major challenger in the film. The xwings are balanced against the Tie fighters. etc etc etc.

22. FromDromundKaasWithLove

Jan 20, 2020
    Yes, the marketing campaign sold the impression that Finn was force-sensitive. The marketing is 100% to blame if people thought that he was going to be force-sensitive based on how his character was marketed.

Are you referring to the poster controversy where people pointed out that the Chinese version shrunk Finn and it understandably earned accusations of racism because the only character it happened to was the only non-white character visible on the poster?

[​IMG]

If not, then I don't know what you're talking about. This was also the only Chinese poster that I could find.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What “stereotype that didn’t sit well with you” did Leia represent? She should have been more sweet and demure? :rolleyes:

Leia got me into Star Wars as a kid—because she was a leader and took no bull****.

Not speaking of you specifically because you haven’t said this (yet anyway) but I have always thought that the people who thought Leia should have been “nicer,” both those who have said it in Classic Trilogy or Saga here and those who said it in 1977 to George Lucas, were being pretty transparent.

And this is a discussion board. People are going to discuss what they liked and disliked.

I loved TROS except for one scene, most people here did not like it, but I don’t feel bad about myself for liking it when others don’t. Same with liking the Luke speech on Crait which a lot of people here dislike. People discussing what they dislike is not “making people feel bad about themselves.”

LOL no. Kylo did not fall because of a “spell.” Neither did Anakin, or Palpatine, or Dooku, or anyone else who has fallen to the Dark Side. They fell because of their choices. Kylo is not an exception to that.

He also chose to come back to the Light. The idea that he was under a “spell” that was “broken” not only deflects blame off him for his choice to turn to the Dark Side and his choices afterwards, but also does not give him credit for his choice to return.

24. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    Maybe a combination of all those bits, starting with Han's acceptance and forgiveness, continued with Leia's made the Palpatine's dark spell break because Kylo/Ben felt (and believed) like he belongs with them now and not in the Dark with Snoke/Palps? Kylo, I think seeks belonging and acceptance and that made him vulnerable to manipulation...or spells.

I agree with you that Rey's actions are probably not pivotal in his turn. She may have been the object of his desire and he would go at lengths to get her, but she never really exhibited unconditional love/caring for him, like his parents. She would only accept him if he turns. So in my book that kind of love/caring can not be all that mighty or powerfull or worthy enough to have pivotal effects...
    One thing I read while back and it made (some) sense was that when she healed him she did not only heal his physical scars she gave him, but also through their bond enabled the Force to heal a part of his mind that was infected with the dark...So a vessel of his redemption? I dunno...I am curious to see if there will be an explanation for Leia's delayed dissappearance.

A side note 1, as I was writing this up, I noticed that Rey healing Kylo scene somewhat mirrors the Rey healing Snake scene. Maybe I'm seeing too much into it, but I wonder it is just a coincidence that the creature was a snake and not for example desert scorpio or some Pasana endemic species given that she at one point considered and called Kylo a murderous snake.
    Continuing my reflections on Rey force healing Kylo, how come Rey didnt die after she healed his
    fatal wound...or at least faint? She walks it off (runs it off to be exact), while he dies after doing the same?

A side note 2, I thought it was clearly stated after TFA that Kylo was not a Sith but a Darkside warior?

And a bonus discussion point (lol):
    When Palpatine sucked on the life Force of their dyad bond did he suck it dry or it was still there after he regenerated? Because if the dyad is still there then no one is ever really gone could mean something extra for Kylo...

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

I really can't believe there are people still acting like this never happened. I guess i shouldn't be the least bit surprised.

[​IMG]