main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The The Batman Thread (+ The The Penguin Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Aug 23, 2020.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Because it shouldn't be awash in the DC thread becoming infected by the bacteria that is Snyder.

Discuss.

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Those white men look too similar to the ones of Mad Max Fury Road.

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I dunno, I thought it was about time Doug Walker received his comeuppance for that Pink Floyd review:

[​IMG]

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I watched the trailer last night. I'm very impressed by it. Looks more atmospheric than the Nolan films and yes, even the Burton films. Loved the "I am vengeance" line. I was excited but a tad skeptical when Robert Pattinson was cast, but after watching him in The Lighthouse, I'm a fan and I'm there opening night.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, lets discuss the film's lead star: I didn't see enough of Pattinson in this trailer to have an overall judgment, but I didn't see much of the "man about town" vibe. Bruce has always had the happy-go-lucky billionaire vibe to him. Despite an awful film, even Clooney's Batman nailed this.Pattinson seems too gloomy for Bruce.

It's more than Pattinson hasn't quite sold me on the billionaire bad boy yet. If Bruce is calculated enough to masquerade as a crime fighting enigma by night, he should be effortless in projecting smugness & charm as a billionaire-just like all the portrayals from Keaton to Bale.

But, Pattinson is a good Batman. That i've decided on. Looks great in the suit and has a fantastic voice.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Rew likes this.
  6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Atmosphere is spot on.

We were promised a noir film and I believe that is what we're going to see.

I went into Joker unenthusiastic and walked out indifferent. This film has me wanting to see more trailers. I'm on board.

Let's see where this leads.

Things I love:

- It's not an origin story. If you want this, you're in the wrong house. Watch the 1989 film, watch Batman Begins, even one of the Snyder films. But Batman is at large in this universe, and that is just fine.

- No Joker. Love the character, tired of the over servicing of late.

- Great casting choices. Again, while Pattinson has a few things to prove to me, nothing I have seen have made me think casting him was a mistake - but there's some things I want to see. All of which could comfortably just be in the film that none of us have seen of yet. Could we finally be getting a version of Catwoman that I will actually like? Are you going to go my way, Selina?

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm really excited for Paul Dano as the Riddler. He's terrific in everything.

darthcaedus1138 and Darth Guy like this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    It's a very different Riddler, i'll give you that.

How do I feel? Don't know.

Yes, I know not to expect a man in a green bowler had and retro tight fitting pyjamas. There were just times in that trailer he felt like Bane (the voice I refer to, in particular).

The characters I am most excited for are The Bat himself (just the Bat as, again, the jury is out on Bruce), Catwoman and Gordon (because Jeffrey was such a damn fine Felix Leiter).

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    who's playing Catwoman?

10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Zoe Kravitz.

gezvader28 likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It's also a pretty impressive trailer because they've only filmed, what, 25% of the actual movie?

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    That was another point I wanted to raise because I assumed I had it wrong; this trailer convinced me that the film has been made in full.

But, I could have sworn production was halted due to COVID? Or have they actually finished? This film looks done.

Keeping in mind we only received a final Rise of Skywalker trailer a mere month before that "film" was released.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    they were only seven weeks into production when they were shut down - lots more to go.

14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Impressive.

In that case, they need to keep up the rawness they have going with this trailer.

Please do not sand it down over the next eighteen months.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    one thing i didn't notice last night (watched on a phone) is that the makeup job for cobblepot (colin ferrell) looks brilliant. he is completely unrecognizable to anyone unfamiliar with the casting.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I have every faith in Matt Reeves. He made two fantastic sequels to a pretty great, if uneven, first film (Apes) so in Reeves I trust.

17. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I can't watch it fully yet, but the fact they acknowledge the eye black for him wearing the mask is a win for me

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As someone who isn’t a Batman (or Nolan) fan, I liked this a lot. Saw several jokes about how this is a remake of SE7EN on FilmTwitter and chuckled. The atmosphere is on point. I like Patterson’s barely contained angst (“I am Vengeance!” is great).

So, yes, I will rent. That I want to see this says something.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Looks pretty good.

Some Arkham series vibes.
    Especially if they're going for the psychotic Jigsaw type Riddler. Much more threatening than the over the top eccentric puzzle man of the past.

I expect Matt Reeves to deliver, so far it looks like he will.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Smart move to try and bring all the Twilight fanatics over to discovering the DC universe.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope it's not too derivative of the Nolan trilogy. Even some of the shots in the trailer are Nolanesque. Paul Dano is great but his Riddler could easily just be a retread of Ledger's Joker.

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This reminded me more of David Fincher than Christopher Nolan in terms of cinematography, but yeah, the overall "grounded, gritty and realistic" take on Batman is definitely encroaching on Nolan's territory. It's kind of interesting that Reeves is populating his Gotham with the rogues more fully and seemingly building out the city's history more, something Nolan didn't really do on either front, while also pushing it into even more of a DIY-Batman direction than Nolan ever attempted. End of the day, Nolan's trilogy still relied on plot devices like using a microwave emitter to flood Gotham with fear toxin by evaporating the city's water supply, and holding all of Gotham hostage for like half a year with a nuclear bomb rigged out of a clean-energy device. This take feels more like Se7en or Zodiac than any of the three Nolan films.

23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I wonder if they're like Cult of Joker or something weird like that. Like Batman already dealt with him - previous to the events of the movie - but his followers are still around.

I dig the atmosphere and aesthetic. It's noir. It's gritty. But not GRIMDARK.

24. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Cult of Joker would make sense if this is a distance down the line. This "feels" like it's set after Batman Year One where he's known, has a now established relationship/understanding with Gordon and is before his rogues galley is truly up to speed.

I don't need to see another Joker but I wouldn't have an issue if Joker was just a woolly threat sitting around whilst Batman is off dealing with the current issues and never ever gets screen time, the Cult of Joker would give this nebulous threat.

If this is to become the next big Batman series then reference Joker but never use him and then have him removed as a threat off screen between movies X and Y just because it'll really annoy some fanboys.

Give us good enemies based in reality

Riddler
    Hush
    Hugo Strange
    Zsasz
    A good take on Ra's Al Ghul (I'll even accept Lazarus Pits with this character)

But don't bring back Two Face, Joker, Bane, Freeze as they've either been done to death OR carry bad memories (Freeze urgh)

DarkGingerJedi and Diggy like this.
  25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Bad memories are exactly why I'd like to see Mr. Freeze done. He's a great character, and deserves an adaptation better than Batman & Robin gave him. Granted, I have no idea how he would fit into the world it seems Reeves is building, unless he takes a hard turn towards fantasy and sci-fi after this film.