main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The The Batman Thread (+ The The Penguin Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @Diggy [:D] Back at you. My genius lies in the right side of my brain.:)

@Sith_Sensei__Prime ah, the movie is Year Two. Interesting.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Diggy like this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I disagree with this, despite Bruce and The Bat being a very intelligent force.

It's not so much that there is a need to write scenarios that outsmart tthose written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but instead provide a Batman story where a situation can only be overcome with the assistance of a vigilante. While Batman is a great detective, part of why the Dark Knight Trilogy did such a great job of telling its version of Gotham is because it was less about showcasing Batman's intellect and more toward begging the question as to when a vigilante would be absolutely necessary.

If the challenge in writing a Batman script substantially lies within writing one that is clever enough, then it's time to return to the drawing board because the finished product will inevitably fail in its own logic.

Instead, give us the guy who can do the job that can't be done independently by Gotham Police Department.

There are a few reasons why this may be the case.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    And in your view, does a vigilante always have to violate the constitutional rights of criminals? Or could he operate within the same constraints as regular officers are supposed to abide by, just not answering to the "proper authorities"?
    (And yes, I realize of course that officers IRL frequently do violate people's constitutional rights)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Rew likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Is it me or does the new suit buff out his chest with too much fake muscle?

5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Nope. Citizens arrest, at least in my country, is enshrined within State Crime Legislation.

Being a trained ninja, the Bat doesn't always need to throw a punch when he can just twist a criminal's arm behind their back.

Well, the police are only authorised to exert a proportionate level of force when apprehending criminals (so, you can't shoot a 16 year old who is running in the opposite direction with a stolen loaf of bread, obviously).

I suppose your question could, in some ways, be answered by looking at some classic westerns or even the film, Deliverance, which both explore the idea of whether morality is constrained to the geography that is covered by law.

My view of a vigilante (Daredevil, Batman, The Punisher, Harry Callahan, The Shadow as examples), is that they have their own idealistic moral which may, or may not, coincide with the boundaries of the law.

If you have a vigilante that strictly observes criminal law, then isn't it just a cop?

I cannot recommend enough, if you haven't already, that you check out Daredevil on Netflix as an entire three seasons are explored on these questions. It's especially intriguing considering the fact that the protagonist is a morally ambiguous lawyer whose strengths are defined by his disability.

Rew and Princess_Tina like this.
  6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    It's Robert Pattinson, not Daniel Craig.

Enough said.

7. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Bring back Adam West.

These dark, gloomy batmans are boring the **** out of me now.

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I know, right?!

How nihilistic was that Batman film with George Clooney?

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Some men just want a tangerine

Diggy and heels1785 like this.
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    We also have citizens arrests in the US. That doesn't mean you can just do whatever to someone, of course. I'm not sure what the actual limits might be, though I suppose it varies from state to state...

11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    ...it's Batman.

THE BATMAN.

Enough said.

Luke02 likes this.
  12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Tangerine

Master_Lok and Diggy like this.
  13. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    @DebonaireNerd I think the point you’re missing here is that Batman is the epitome of the white cishet male 1% patriarchal hierarchy and that the movie some of us want is that he should citizens arrest himself - violently.

Diggy likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Anyone in the thread read Murphy's Batman White Knight? Well worth a look if you haven't.

15. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
  16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    “Batman, I need your help”.

Yeah, it’s ******* excellent.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's one of the final panels:
    "Jim, I really like hurting people."

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Arkham games ruined the whole "greatest detective" idea. Sure he's better than the GCPD, because he has access to far superior tech that gives him the answers (3d bullet trajectory tracing, holographic scene recreation, DNA scanner)

Give Jim Gordon that stuff & he'd solve the crimes.

As for the violence, it's obvious he beats criminals to pulp because deep down he likes it.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At least there are no nipples on the suit?

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    But where's Robin? And Batgirl? :p

21. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Supposedly one is planned for Batgirl. None for Robin which is the joke in the Teen Titans Go movie.

...I'd love a real movie based on the original show though...

The2ndQuest and Princess_Tina like this.
  22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    If they do a Batgirl movie, they better make a better Catwoman movie, too. It will help erase our memories of the first attempt :p

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Last I heard, Whedon was attached to the Batgirl movie.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Anything is better than Zack Snyder :p

25. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Batman has a remarkably long history; over decades of time and thousands of comic books (to say nothing of cartoons, TV shows, etc) you can find him portrayed with many different nuances and twists.

As a long time fan, I enjoy the idea, at least hinted at in the trailer, of an increased emphasis on his abilities as a detective - Batman at a crime scene, talking with Gordon, analyzing, is something we've seen many times in the comics, but which the movies have rarely given us (maybe never given us?). I am really looking forward to that.

And of course, yeah, Batman is also about inspiring fear in criminals, and physical combat, and the trailers take on that also looks good.

Also, promising approach to the Riddler, making him creepier and more dangerous than many incarnations.

I'm definitely intrigued, and looking forward to it!

TheChosenAlpha likes this.