main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    No.

2. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    Whatcha mean "No?" Are you an OG fan? Did you see Star Wars in theaters(before there was a subtitle"A New Hope", before an episode #?) Have you read the expanded universe? Yes, new stories would be great if they used the EU and made movies to fit it around them.

3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    =D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D=(standing ovation)

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am. I saw Star Wars (not A New Hope) in the theater. And I agree with @TCF-1138 .

I liked a lot of the Legends EU, and there was quite a bit of it that I would prefer to the ST—one example being that Jacen, Jaina and Anakin Solo were monumentally better than Kylo Ren, and the Vong were monumentally better than Snoke.

But a lot of the Legends EU was bad, and too many authors had pet characters.

And I would take Rogue One over all of it.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't see the OT in the theater, no, but I've been a fan for almost thirty years, and I grew up reading the EU.
    That's irrelevant though. What I was reacting to was the "most fans" part. I've found that when someone claims to speak for "most", "real" or "original" fans they're, well, not.

6. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I was 11 years old when Star Wars came out in 1977. My cousin was 9. We saw it together and then went to ESB on opening night three years later. He's read all of the EU, I've read very little. He loves the EU, it wasn't for me. We both adore Rogue One. It's a wonderful film. Space battles were never my favorite part of SW, but Rogue One changed that.

My only real issue with Rogue One was Tarkin. The special effects didn't work for me and every time he appeared I was yanked out of the film. I love Krennic. If I had my druthers, less Tarkin and more Krennic. Minor quibble is that I wish Saw had been integrated into the story a little better.

I don't think being an OG fan gives me a better insight into Star Wars compared to other fans. It's a different viewpoint. That's all.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I find your lack of irrationality...disturbingly refreshing!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. Classified8

Jun 8, 2016
    You caught me on a good day. I'll probably be back to irrationality tomorrow.

You can't ever truly predict how other fans will feel. I would've thought people who are fans of the EU Luke would dislike the portrayal of Luke in TLJ, and probably many of them do, but my cousin actually liked TLJ. It was TFA he disliked, lol. He never got on board with Kylo, the character was a complete bust for him. Whereas R1 Tarkin didn't work for me, he thought it was great.

Strangely enough, these differences have not caused any strife between us. Though I did almost drive into a ditch when he said there should have been more Tarkin in Rogue One.

9. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I saw Star Wars in theaters in 77. I used to read the EU./Legends, and there really wasn't much that was good. Very little actually. I mean Chewbacca dying by having a planet land on him? Seriously? A planet. I think they're better off mining what they like from the EU to bring into canon instead of making the entire EU canon.

And I agree with @anakinfansince1983. Rogue One is better than what we've gotten in the EU.

10. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Shadows of the Empire. Even if it's done in the style of Clone Wars. I have to think that's on a short list somewhere of productions to put in motion. Especially now as they're trying to redeem themselves from the Sequel Trilogy.

I remember it being jarring at first. But honestly, after you've watched RO a certain number of times, you don't even notice it anymore.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  11. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    The initial viewing was a bit jarring, but I always thought they did a great job as opposed to doing a full CGI Tarkin. And I agree that with multiple viewings, I don't really notice it, even when I do RO/ANH back to back

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  12. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    Wow! My apologies for saying "most." Almost everyone I have talked to around me, in my area, that has read EU books(at least x-wing series thru Vong) would prefer the EU stories over Disney. I did say I thought Rogue One was the best film Disney has made in the Star Wars Universe. I thoroughly enjoyed every single book in the EU(even Courtship of Princess Leia) that came out before Disney Purchased. That includes the original story of how the rebellion got the plans for the Death Star and Maul hunting them down. Anything that gives more Maul is superior in my opinion. ...and I5YQ was definitely one of the best droids in that whole universe. I enjoyed all the characters from the books more. Chirrut Imwe was the best part of Rogue One for me. The rest was MYEH! Of course I went into the theater knowing "the real story"(from EU) and was already disappointed that Disney wasn't making that story. ...pleas read "Cloak of Deception & Dart Maul: Shadow Hunter"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Weren't there like three different EU stories about the theft of the Death Star plans?

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can’t stand Krennic and wanted Jyn to push him off the tower, but I agree with you otherwise. CGI Tarkin and CGI Leia weren’t great, and I thought the Vader hallway scene was overrated. I much prefer Jyn’s speech to the Alliance council to that. Or if I had to pick a Vader scene, Vader choking Krennic and bringing out his full Anakin sarcasm was better.

I laughed out loud the first time I read Chewie’s death scene in Vector Prime. It grew on me though, particularly with Chewie waving his fists in a “**** you” gesture to the moon before it landed on him.

On Luke—I liked EU Luke (except for his relationship with Mara) and TLJ Luke.

15. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Yes, and the Dark Forces game, as well, which was canon for a brief time.

@anakinfansince1983 that was the moment I basically gave up on the EU. I mean, seriously? A planet?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  16. Classified8

Jun 8, 2016
    I think Krennic is a fun villain because he's such a sniveling, grasping, nasty little worm trying to slither his way to the top. Great actor. I love the moment where he realizes the Death Star, his "baby", is going to get him.

Also love his white cape. I love all Star Wars capes.

Starith, MotivateR5D4 and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Star Wars without capes is like ice cream cones without ice cream. Capes are an essential ingredient. Perhaps the most essential.

Classified8 likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Vader with no cape would look like a pretty awesome trooper commander of some sort.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    YES CAPES

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Classified8 likes this.
  22. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    If Krennick was a chicken, he'd be a Capon with a Cape On.[face_laugh]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Tarkin wasn't that bad, it was CGI Leia that irked me. Those teeth...

Krennic was one of my favorite characters in RO. I think if I could choose just one character to have survived RO, it would be him. As fitting as his death was, I want to see more stories with Krennic.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, we’re getting a prequel TV series, so Krennic may be back...

25. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I wonder how that would work in the Cassian show? No one in the Rebellion knew about the Death Star until the spy told Cassian in RO. Wouldn't showing Krennic working on the battle station kind of undercut and steal some of the impact of the reveal in RO? And if Krennic's project was the DS, I doubt he'd be handling other projects, as well.