main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Behind the Scenes of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TCF-1138 , May 13, 2020.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They needed to meet a deadline, I guess.

rocknroll41 and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ve always felt that directors need something of an instinct for Star Wars. The ability to know when something will work and have a lasting visual or emotional effect, or not. And IMO, Abrams consistently demonstrates that he doesn’t have that instinct. Rather, he has a superficial grasp of what makes Star Wars tick, and so he gives you Star Wars facsimiles, not stories. The Oracle was weird and horrifying, but also sort of darkly comic-looking all at once. That’s a recipe for legendary Star Wars character status, ala Jabba the Hutt. But he just didn’t see it (I suspect). Maybe the scene as filmed was just bad and needed to be cut. But I doubt it. I’ve heard JJ talk Star Wars, and he almost seems determined to cut out the most interesting scenes in his films in order to maintain a breakneck pace.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He always talks about things like profundity and spirituality, but his idea of those concepts is, as you say, superficial. He seems to think that creating a sense of it is enough. Which ties back to his mystery box approach. He builds shells for us to fill with our own ideas.

fett 4 and PendragonM like this.
  4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Abrams seems to weirdly lack conviction in his vision, and constantly seems to second-guess himself. Its actually quite amazing and impressive he's revered as much as he is with that kind of work ethic, and I don't necessarily mean that as an insult. I suppose it makes him human.

The early ideas for TFA were much better and more daring than the final film, as with TROS (and I actually like both films). That's why, though, at least to me, TLJ is by far the best film of the ST. Rian Johnson doesn't seem to have those problems. He displays complete confidence in what he is trying to do. It seems that if someone in the editing suite said to Abrams they didn’t like something, he'll just change it straight away without any hesitation. Whereas Johnson would ask you why you didn't like it, and then proceed to tell you why he likes it and why he thinks the film needs it.

Certain people may not like the film as a result, but I've always preferred filmmakers like that.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  5. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    'The temple was burning'. That's Kurtz up the river, and not Luke on that island. The Apocalypse Now original script (the one from Milius) included Kurtz's compound being bombed, and that's how Luke's temple ended, as seen in the comic. And it was not Ben; he did not 'slaughter' the students either.

Going back to Apocalypse Now, that would mean Willard/Sheen: his orders were to infiltrate and terminate Kurtz's command 'with extreme prejudice'.

Was there a Willard? 'Infiltrate'?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Django Fett likes this.
  6. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I wonder if Abrams did intend for that night to be as ambiguous as TLJ and later comics made it seem. The story is straightforward enough in TFA, but Abrams is a fan of misdirection, so I wouldn’t be totally surprised if the idea always was that there was more to Ben’s fall than a straightforward turn.

If that was the intention, then I would imagine it was Snoke who responsible. But I doubt it would be as obvious as sending a squadron of stormtroopers or bombarding it with conventional weapons. I’m not sure. Part of me does prefer the idea that Ben simply burned the temple during his rampage.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't know that I'd say Abrams is inconsistent with his intentions on either TFA or TROS. In the broadest sense, TFA was intended to be an OT followup in tone and texture, whereas TROS intended to take more narrative and character risks. Feel free to disagree with those intentions or their eventual executions, but both of those respective approaches seemed to be pretty clearly established early on.

8. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
  9. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    And then went "No, no, your ideas are all wrong. Let me show you my ideas" and none of it was Star Wars

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I wouldn't use the term follow up more straight up rehash.
    If you want to know his intentions just watch his Ted Talk

whostheBossk and Glitterstimm like this.
  11. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Rian Johnson: :p
    Kathleen Kennedy: Give this man a trilogy
    Colin Trevorrow: Luke should live
    Kathleen Kennedy: No
    JJ Abrams: I want to use some of Trevorrow's ideas
    JJ Abrams: Rey is a Palpatine
    George Lucas: Anakin's ghost will defeat Palpatine

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't think thats KK, sound more like GL during the PT.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    We're not doing this here. This is a thread for discussing the making of the ST, not for trolling, nor for PT vs ST debates.

godisawesome , KyleKartan and EHT like this.
  14. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    This, from something a wrote in the Kylo thread. I think it's a possibility.
    Snoke died like Greedo, the upper half of his body stumbling over...after being distracted by Solo's (Solo Jr's) left hand while the other hand was minding its own bussines under the table.

Maybe RJ was inspired by that...and also Kylo, inside the film. 'You have too much of your father's heart in you[...]You failed!'

And also Palpatine, outside TLJ.
    He's talking about Han and Leia. He made a plan before ROTJ incorporating the stolen plans ('many bothans died') and also Luke's friends, and retconned those elements into a trap. He knew Luke fell in the Bespin trap because of his friends.

This would have been the same thing. I mean, maybe he learned at some point about Han and Greedo.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-star-wars-interview-288523
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...52067a-8b1f-11e5-be8b-1ae2e4f50f76_story.html
    So marrying Leia turned him into John Wayne. Ben was told about John Wayne then. But Han shot first. He was not married when he did that.

Not so different from not being told by the OT3 about 'grandfather' being Vader. We know he wasn't. Ben learned that truth in the worst way possible - from the worst people.

'He shot first. A cold-blooded killer. It's not s story your father would tell you'. Palpatine was not in Tatooine, that day. He was told. By who?

Not by Snoke, maybe, but Snoke was a part of the process.
    And in the Kylo Ren comic, Ben know about 'Solo' not being 'his real name'. In 'Solo', Han shots first at the end; he shots Beckett.

Kasdan wrote TFA and Solo.
    https://uproxx.com/movies/solo-lawrence-kasdan-jonathan-kasdan-solo/
    'He's a lie', Ben says in the comic. This is after Luke 'proves' himself to be a lie in the hut - a murderer.
    If you become a murderer yourself, then Vader is not a lie; and neither is Han the cold-blooded killer. Kill it, if you have to. 'Too much Vader in him'>'too much of your father's heart in you'

So Snoke used Kylo against Han, and then Kylo used Han against Snoke.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    darthfettus2015 and MarcJordan like this.
  15. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  17. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Lol “Winkie.”

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Beyond Luke dying (which has always been a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned) and Rey initially being a 14-year-old, I would have expected more about GL's version of episode 8 and 9 which we barely know anything in contrast to his episode 7 story. I highly doubt his version of ST would have span in just one year especially since our main protagonist was 14-year-old. I would have loved to see more of the master/student relationship before Luke's death and how the Whills fit in all of this.

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Looks like we'll be getting a few more tidbits from Lucas about some of his ST ideas soon:

20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Remember that leaked concept art of the Jedi Killer holding Kira from behind which was reminiscing of that Adam Driver photoshoot for Girls and led some people to believe Rey and Kylo's romance was planned from the start? Well...

Hey Phil, was the early concept that the Jedi killer would fall in love? Becus thats some great gothic romance tropes right there.

Phil Szostak
    Nope- that was never a story point for the Jedi Killer character.

21. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I mean, at that point, neither Kylo or Rey existed

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Just checked the link. Nicely done - he separates the YouTube video into segments.

One segment is about how GL was a non-linear filmmaker. There was a lot of greatness of GL that the ST thought they could do just as well. TPTB were wrong.

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Eh, the early version of a female Jedi protagonist existed enough to be identifiable as Rey's personage.

It's with the Jedi Killer and Sam where things get interesting, as this lends further credence to the report that Kylo and Finn are the results of splitting away Sam's heritage as a Solo and grafting it onto the Jedi Killer to become Kylo, with what remained of Sam becoming Finn.

Now, whether they ever intended a romance involving Kira/Rey at this early of a point is completely unknown; even speculation about Kira and pre-split Sam seems to point to siblings more than lovers. And her earliest form being a 14 year old would imply that she wasn't going to be made a love interest yet, at the least.

But this would imply that Kylo's latter film projection as a love interest is either a result of taking some old Sam traits and trying to move them from Finn to Kylo... or more likely, it was the result of LFL becoming interested in the idea as TLJ was rolled out, though through an abstract lens, considering how tone-deaf their approach was to both pro- and anti-Reylos.

24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    There is little doubt that had GL made the ST, it would follow the same road mat the previous trilogies had.

ACT 1: Heroes are introduced, a new hero emerges and their teacher dies.
    ACT 2: Our hero or heroes walk a dangerous path between good and evil, learning to become a powerful warrior but is brutally beaten by his foe
    ACT 3: The final battle, the real villain is finally revealed to the hero and everything is torn apart only for our hero to come through.

Act 3 differs between the OT and PT but that was dictated by the story and where it had to by the end. Whilst the ST follows Act 1, it diverts away in Act 2, losing it's way for a section of traditional fans.

Lulu Mars and jaimestarr like this.
  25. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    If that saber was Excalibur, then Luke was Arthur. Abrams and RJ talked in arthurian terms, with Johnson comparing Luke to middle-aged Arthur in an interview:
    Le Morte d'Arthur(The Death of Arthur): 'middle age and beyond'.

Or: Boorman's Excalibur (1981), based mainly on that version of the legend. The things is, a jedi knight is a wizard
    and a knight. So Luke is really Arthur and Merlin.

So, John Boorman's Excalibur (1981). OT, pre-jedi Luke:
    [​IMG]
    Post-ROTJ Luke, both Arthur and mentor (Merlin/Obi-Wan):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the film, both fall at the same time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(film)#Plot
    Arthur 'walks away from everything', after almost killing Lancelot, his best friend.
    [​IMG]
    And Merlin...is trapped in a cave.
    [​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin
    Luke being placed under those rocks (the TLJ hut) and the rock-spell being broken in TLJ ('lifting rocks'). Excalibur follows the Morte D'Arthur model and the Arthur-Merlin up/down/up&death arc, similar to
    OT Luke(up)/>
    pre-TFA(down)/>
    ST Luke (up&death) arc.
    The femme fatale figure was Morgana/Helen Mirren, Merlin's apprentice, who traps Merlin in a cave after 'seducing' him.
    In TLJ, Luke reacts violently when he sees the handtouch.
    [​IMG]
    And then:
    [​IMG]
    This looks like Luke about Luke, just like 'your parents threw you away like garbage' is Kylo about Kylo. There's a woman lying there with Ben/Lancelot (a woman is heard screaming inside Ben's head) Then Ben/Lancelot turns into something like the spiteful and young Mordred from the same film (into Kylo)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By the way, Morgana means 'sea-born'. One wonders about Luke going to that ocean planet, Lew'el, in the Legends of Luke Skywalker book -shortly after ROTJ- and about the girl Aya and that character called Flux. Those Lew'elians call the force 'the Tide', and that's the word Rey uses in TLJ (the TLJ visual dictionary hints at the possibility of Luke's island not being the island Rey dreams of)
    So, Le Morte d'Arthur via Excalibur. Then:
    death. Arthur sails towards Avalon and Merlin fades away. Basically the same fate, that is:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020