main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How do you build off the Sequel Trilogy moving forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I mean, in terms of how Poe's character is handled, his stuff with Zorri feels much more contrived considering that the latter is really just a last minute "Oh right, and Poe's a smuggler, surprise" while with Han, it's just more of Lando being an associate/friend of his.

PendragonM likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Please keep in mind that this thread is about the how to build off of the ST going forward, not discussing the merits of the ST itself.

3. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Always two there are, I guess...so, maybe there's a Maul. And there was a Maul figure in the final draft of DoTF dueling against Kylo and Rey. According to MSW (April 2019), Matt Smith/Acolyte dueled Rey and Kylo after being possessed by Palpatine. We've seen no less than 3 Snokes in the ST, and he trained (=was killed by) at least one other apprentice.

The Legends of Luke Skywalker book has a hooded guy during the battle of Jakku using sith lightning to destroy ships. Identified as Luke by an imperial, but does not sound like him. After the battle, acolytes left the planet (that's in the Ochi's ship section, TROS VD)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    DP...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  5. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    2Cleva, Darth PJ and Darth Nobunaga like this.
  6. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    it's legit. it's from KK interview.

7. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Shared since didn't see it in the past two pages, i just like linking back to source articles if possible.

8. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Agreed. Always go to the original source and even then check if the quote has quotation marks or it's just an editorial (no quotation marks).

9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It's a shame that we had to endure the missteps within the ST before she came to that realisation. Pressure from above, below and the side, no doubt, have made her choose her words carefully ...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    2Cleva, ChildOfWinds and PendragonM like this.
  10. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    John and Oscar are done with the franchise.

Daisy has expressed doubts.

The SW community is split between those who hated the ST and those who liked it.

Can't think of anything other than an "Episodes X-XII" trilogy set 30-35 years after IX, announced in 2030 and released in 2035-40, with an older Daisy Ridley as a Jedi Master/leader of the New Jedi.

Lucasfilm should focus on quality tv, comics and videogames for the next 5-8 years, at least, all of it set before Ep VII.

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I didn’t like the ST much, but that doesn’t mean I’m in a camp that’s “split” from those who do. I’m glad some fans love it. And I feel connected to all the fans that loved RO, liked Solo and adore the Mandalorian. And many of those fans liked the ST. This exaggerated war within the SW fandom is exactly that. Exaggerated.

K2771991, EHT and Darth PJ like this.
  12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That's the thing isn't it? When people say that fans will 'never be happy', I always contest that point of view. Rogue One and The Mandalorian show us that it's very possible to create content that the majority of fans can get behind.

Nom von Anor, 2Cleva and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Plus, I would say that pretty much everyone loved ANH, and that most people enjoyed TESB and RotJ as well, so yes, there ARE films that the vast majority can embrace and profoundly enjoy. That’s how most of us became SW fans in the first place. Unfortunately, the terrible choices and decisions made for the ST pretty much guaranteed that a LOT of people would be disappointed/ upset/ angry. Tearing down and diminishing the very films and characters that brought most of us to SW in the first place is NOT a good recipe for success. Not having an agreed upon story and plan for the trilogy before filming of much-anticipated movies costing hundreds of millions of dollars, was also a ridiculous mistake that one wouldn’t expect professionals to make.

Then, they went on and on to make poor choice after poor choice for the films and characters, and now, here we are....

14. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    'There’s now the realization that this is a mythology that actually spans about 25,000 years' points, I think, to human generations (25 years x 1000)

And human generations would point, also, to 'family'. That's how people gets generated. 25000 years after the jedi were formed, there was family (episodes I-IX); and 25000 years before I-IX there was also family. That was a thing in 1975.
    Here, the jedi were started by a third generation of force users, the grandchildren of 'the holy man called the Skywalker'. Before that, there was this holy man and his twelve children. They were no jedi.

So,for example,
    this guy -'the prime jedi'- would have been a grandchild of the holy man Skywalker:[​IMG]
    What about the holy man Anakin Skywalker and his grandchild Ben, 25000 years after that? 'If Skywalker returns, the new jedi will rise'.

The 12 sons of the holy man Skywalker; the 12 jedi in the jedi council; Luke's 'dozen' students; those 11 jedi voices talking to Rey...plus Leia at the end.

Maybe the jedi were born, 25000 years ago, when the 'family' started to include non-humans. That's more or less the kind of connection we see in E.T between the frog kid and the human kid, which looks like a dyad. And maybe that's what Baby Yoda is about. (The Child and Anakin were born at the same time, apparently)

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I really dislike the whole Force dyad concept. And what is the point of Baby Yoda being born at the same time as Anakin? It's almost as dumb as Ezra being born around the time Luke and Leia were born.

Nom von Anor and Darth PJ like this.
  16. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don’t like the Jedi order being 25,000 years old.

Seems far to old.

I want the 25,000 years in canon to include the pre-Jedi Order days, perhaps in a time before the Old Republic and Man made Hyperdrives. What if the Jedi Order were not the 1st force user faction to arise?

Darth PJ likes this.
  17. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I'm sure Kennedy has a general idea of what Legends is, but she probobly just never looked at it too hard becuase it was'nt her wheelhouse; after all, Lucas did'nt give a crap about it, so why should she?

Man, I'm glad I don't have her job, becuase I'd hate to work by *@#$ off just to be a lighting rod for negativity and have every statement I make picked apart and twisted around to make me seem either evil or stupid.

Probobly just coincidence - they likely just threw out "fifty years old" as a random, generalized age when they were writing the episode. I doubt it was by design.

As for Ezra, Luke and Leia, there were probobly a lot of kids born the same day the Empire was founded; it's a galaxy of billions, after all - even in just New England I'm probobly far from the only person to have been born on Febuary 16th, 1991.

And this is different from 2005, when the fandom was "split" (as Bor says, the split is eggagerated, and their is plenty of nuance between "it hated the ST" and "I loved it") between those who loved the PT and those who hated it? And when actors like Portman declared they were done?

Why set all of it before VII? Why not make some before VII, some after and other stuff in other eras? That's what Legends did, after all - we had Old Republic stuff, PT stuff, post ROTS/pre-ANH stuff, stuff mingled in in between the PT and OT films and post ROTJ stuff.

As much time as I spend advocating certain elements of the ST, I would'nt describe myself as someone who loved it enough to be in one of two radicalized camps. I have issues with all three films (yes, even TLJ;)) and I'd much sooner describe myself as being in between "hating" and "loving" the films; I think peaple need to step back and remember that, just becuase they veiw something in an extreme not everyone else does, and there's plenty of nuance in the middle here when it comes to the ST.

But while you see it that way, not only are their other fans who disagree, but their are plenty of new fans who are being brought into Star Wars by the ST in the same way the original trilogy brought you in, and neither of those groups don't see anything getting torn down or diminished; my roomate and I think the ST added (overall) to the mythology, rather then tore it down, while my cousin (a new fan thanks to the ST) does'nt have a pre-existing connection to the OT/PT casts that would make it possible for her to view the ST as "harmful" to them in some way.

I did'nt like how Anakin was dipicted in the PT and (for a time) I thought that said dipiction ruined Darth Vader. That does'nt mean that other peaple did'nt love Anakin, either becuase they liked his dipiction or they did'nt have a nostaglic bais towards Vader to color it.

For what it's worth, though, I agree with you on the lack of a plan being a mistake. I just think that there's room for naunced views her (and I don't see how one can say 4.4 billion dollers and a lot of happy/new fans is'nt sucessful)

It's either in/between 10,040 BBY and 25,019 BBY.

Had he been the last to discover that his Master was leaving him without so much as a word? Or would he have to explain to everyone why he was a seventeen-year-old Padawan in search of a new Master? He’d never even heard of that before. Was he the first disposable Padawan in the ten-thousand-year history of the Jedi?
    - Obi-Wan's inner thoughts, from Master and Apprentice (set in 40 BBY, so 10,040 BBY)

He could see himself seated in one of the low, curving chairs, opposite Mace Windu. Opposite Yoda. He might sit next to Ki-Adi-Mundi, or Plo Koon—or even beside Obi-Wan! And he could not quite ignore the quiet whisper, from down within the furnace door that sealed his heart, that he was about to become the youngest master in the twenty-five thousand year history of the Jedi.
    - Anakin's inner thoughts, from the ROTS Novelization (set in 19 BBY, hence 25,019 BBY)

Master and Apprentice is newer and is solidly, rather then debatably, canon, so it probobly takes precidence. But it's possible to make both work together - for instance either both Anakin and Obi-Wan are generalizing and the organized Order was formally founded between 25,019 BBY and 10,040 BBY, or the Order was founded in 10,040 BBY but the greater history of Jedi and their ideology, maybe in the former of predecessor order(s), dates back further to 25,019 BBY.

18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    There sure is room for a Je’daii order in canon.

Hopefully someday Disney is willing to give us a pre-Jedi world that will eventually lead to the origins of the Jedi.

Long before the galaxy created the original old republic and also the hundred year darkness that created the Sith.

I would like to see a dark side threat that predates the Sith.

K2771991 likes this.
  19. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Especially since the Complete Locations book states that the (canon) Jedi Temple on Tython is a canidate (along with the ones on Ossus, Coruscant, Jedha and Ahch-To) for the first Jedi Temple.

Perhaps the Je'daii came from Tython, and around 10,040 BBY had a conclave with other like-mind groups on Ahch-To* (with the combined histories of these groups dating back to 25,019 BBY) were they founded the Jedi Order at the site were Luke trains Rey, the relocated first to Ossus and then to Coruscant?

*like the Whills from Jedha.

Back before Legends was wiped away I toyed with the theory/headcanon that the Celestials, as they were dying out, were the ones responsable for bringing Force-sensatives to Tython with the goal of ensuring the evolution of an Order that was capable of defending the galaxy agianst something, be it the Dark Side in general or something specific*, an idea that was brought on by Legends explanation that the Mortis Gods were ascended Celestials and the fact that the Mortis Monolith bears a passing resembelance to the Tho Yor bear more then a passing resemblence to each other

(being a huge Doctor Who and Star Trek fan as well as a huge Star Wars fan, and possesing an overactive imagination that just won't shut off, I naturally took this even further into wackadoddle headcanon territory at one point, playing with the idea that the Mortis Gods/Ones could be the Guardians of Time, the unascended Celestials were both the Arretans and the Ancient Humanoids and the reason they wanted to ensure the formation of an organized group of Light Siders was to defend the universe agianst the corrupting influence of the Beast/Fenric, whose prison on Krop Tor was actually Had Abbadon and who was the root cuase of the Dark Side "cancer" in the Force)

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree with you. It can make the visual references and aesthetic choices much more problematic when trying to build internal logic. I think it might even be wise for Lucasfilm to truncate the current timeline and have 'year zero' as circa 5,000 years ago.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Unfortunatly that's not really possible at this point, as plenty of canon works have already been made that refer to things happening before 5000 years ago (relative to ANH, I assume you mean) - heck, as I myself pointed up above the history of the Jedi alone date back to at least 10,040 BBY.

And anyway, the idea that the history of the galaxy (recorded or otherwise would only date back 5000 years is a bit silly. Real-world recorded history dates back that long, true, but 5000 or 10,000 years from now, when we're (hopefully) cruising around the galaxy in faster-then-light spaceships with advanced technology like the peaple in Star Wars it will streach back even further (assuming there's no world shatter disaster that somehow makes everyone forget everything prior to it even in the form of mythology).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Funny. I had the exact opposite reaction. Given the scale and scope of the GFFA’s galactic civilization, I’ve often considered it to be hundreds of thousands or even millions of years old as a space-faring society. And so 25,000 years seemed disappointingly short to me. I like the idea of the Jedi being 200,000 years old or something (with their full on ‘guardians of peace and justice’ galactic role arriving late in their history, to fit with the 1,000 generations line). A past almost unfathomably deep appeals to me. And if you jump back to that time period, you can be free to create your own world completely, with only the tiniest visual hints of connections between the original Jedi and the ones we know from the PT and OT.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    K2771991 likes this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    For me personally, I don't have an issue with the relative timelines between different ages per se. I just think it becomes a bit of a challenge when/if they present them on the screen (visually speaking), to show the aesthetic/technological changes/advances between something set 1000 years before the PT and something 10,000 years before the PT. For example, if they were to go earlier than KOTOR, would that nessesitate a period to be depicted without droids, spaceships and the general tech we associate with SW? At what point does Star Wars become Willow/GOT? I guess it depends on what style/aesthetic is chosen for the earliest period of galactic events.

24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I personally think it would be less problematic to truncate the timelines (if those eras were to be depicted in films/TV)... I don't think for a second they would, given the lore that's already been established (as you mention).

Technology does't seem to stand still though. And, if cultures similar to ours exist, the advances in technology are probably relatively similar (in terms of how long it takes to advance philosophically/technologically from point A to point B). But obviously in terms of Star Wars they can do anything and everything they want... but I think it would help (and I'm sure they have/or will) to establish a chronology that maps that advancement, so 'eras' have a consistent style/aesthetic.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh no, I still expect 25,000 years prior to the PT/ OT era, or even 200,000 years back, to include droids and interplanetary travel. Otherwise we’re talking about local planetary stories. Though I am open to a story about the first Jedi that’s set on one planet, but one that involves a society that’s just on the cusp of connecting with other planets. So a local LOTR-like story that ends with Jedi leaving on their spaceships to bring their teachings to the broader galaxy.

K2771991 likes this.