main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think this is definitely a very valid concern. It's beyond obvious to anyone who has been paying attention how this small group has made me their own personal obsession, to the point that trying to keep them on ignore becomes impossible because a day doesn't go by that they don't have some gripe or make some ridiculous accusation.

This includes the person who had to be told by a mod to stop trolling the free association thread, which this group never had a problem with before, simply because I'm a regular there.

Don't mind at all adding spoiler tags, personally.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020
    I feel like I've stepped back in time to the first week in June ;)

As for the ignore thing

@Coruscant is right about the show ignored content thing, it IS like a dangling a carrot that shouldn't be written into the system in the way it is, but that's just me :p

Also, I don't know why it's difficult for some to ignore something they don't like. With or without an ignore feature.

Unless somebody threatens you, says something completely abhorrent or talks about how they want to pee on your gran, ignore it, converse with people that are more like yourself or something. Seems a no brainer.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think that would actually be worse. From a space point of view it makes sense but in terms of navigating through a thread it wouldn't feel so great to have to constantly be opening up spoiler tags.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As someone who has been to Rome, I am struggling to recall their policy on embedded Tweets.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Funnily enough the embedded Tweet function isn't working at the moment (at least on Chrome) so this might be an issue that solves itself!

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I made this thread in part so that single user and a few other users could try to share where they’re coming from. It seems like we’re all talking past each other without doing the serious work of attempting to understand.

I think we can better understand where not only Tina is coming from, but also Motivate, Wocky, etc. Conversely, I hope they better understand where harpua, Vivec, etc. come from.

Maybe I should have framed that better in my opening post. But on the other hand I do think there is a serious discussion to be had about the customs versus rules on the JCC. It does seem to me after all that we’re at a crossroads, and it isn’t about a single user.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You mean, require everyone to use Chrome? :p

8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm having the issue on Firefox, but only on this board.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    You wouldn't have to constantly be opening spoiler tag because people are supposed to use tweets more sparingly in the first place.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Seems to me much of that point has already been eloquently answered:
    One of the larger concerns should definitely be this type of group behavior where 3-4 users gang up on one person they personally don't like and try to frame it as a "policy concern" - but it's really more about their desire for some sort of retribution for perceived slights.

The other should be when some posters keep insisting on double standards, for example Vivec saying (quite literally) that the post editing function should be removed from the people he just doesn't like.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I have an actual policy concern: Twitter is often a terrible source of news and we should avoid linking to it whenever there's anything else to link to.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's not that they need to be used more sparingly. It's that you simply can't post a tweet/image and leave it at that. There needs to be additional commentary on top of it. You could have five consecutive posts in a thread that have really good substance while also happening to have a tweet or image attached to them. Having to open up every spoiler tag in that scenario would be, well, kind of annoying.

Jedi Ben and Darth Guy like this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Romans wrote all over buildings with political graffiti and memes, so I am pretty sure they're just like the JCC.

If we really need to have some sort of mediated discussion or something to hash out issues, I can entertain the idea of that but that definitely seems like a separate discussion than the custom vs. rules thing.

Not that the custom vs. rules thing isn't worth discussing, because we all know how many times some new person has come into JCC, run into custom they weren't aware of, and it's become an issue of them getting bullied or them irritating everyone else. It's something worth discussing, I just think it seems like two separate but related things.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This is a broad generalization. Sure, some accounts are dodgy, but others are the official accounts for elected officials, candidates for office, legitimate news organizations, respected non-profits, etc.

We presently don't have any limitations (that I know of) when it comes to posting news links and links to other websites.

Having been here on and off since 2001, I feel I've had to adapt to a lot of things over the years. I think the best policy remains to ask folks to bring things up to the mods rather than directly confronting the people they find irritating. Allowing head-on confrontations rarely results in progress being made. If I see a newbie who seems to be doing things wrong, I will generally trust the mods can deal with that. OTOH a separate section in the forums where a more private conversation can take place between people who aren't getting along, moderated by an administrator or manager, might allow many things to be sorted out amicably and make the forums a friendlier and more enjoyable place for everyone.

15. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020
    A)seems like everyone involved needs to play on the other end of the playground if they can't be civil, or, in board terms: ignore the words written on your screen if they trigger you/them or whatever the term is

or

B) if it's consistent and obvious harassment, report the post. As far as I know once a post is reported every mod can see it,

LOL

well good luck with that policy then, not that could be implemented anyway since I highly doubt that's actually in the board's coding.

16. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Tina

Seemingly so.

The analogy we see used is that this is about a clique that doesn’t like that one nerd in the corner.

But I don’t think it’s so simple.

If the JCC were a cafeteria and there were tables with different cliques, harpua, Watto, Vivec, etc. would all be sitting at different tables. They’re not part of the same clique—well maybe Diggy and Watto are.

Additionally, there are some users, yourself included, but also Adam once upon a time and even myself (!) who might go in threads and light it up with embedded tweets or gifs or one-off quips of little substance. This isn’t simply sitting at one’s table enjoying the discussion. It’s the forum equivalent of tooting an airhorn and speaking at a table conversation with a loudspeaker.

Can you see, can you understand, how this might get some users miffed? And why it’s so hard to ignore the old-fashioned way? I have already demonstrated the issues with the ignore feature.

Edit:

Jello—that is a discussion I think we should have, if only because it seems to keep coming up in other threads. We might as well have a dedicated place for it

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    a hyperlink is less intrusive than an embedded Tweet, which makes me feel like I might as well be cruising around in Twitter where who knows what kind of disease I might pick up.

If all Twitter links were in the form of simple hyperlinks, I would not object to that. Easier to ignore.

tom and harpua like this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Oh **** Season 2 of The Tina Show has just dropped on Commsflix.

Please, let’s not make this about her. She is already a large percentage of the daily output on the JC.

Can we steer this towards what @Point Given was thinking of doing in the election thread, please?

If everyone keeps talking about Tina, it makes Tina talk more about Tina, and then we get nowhere.

Can this be a proper Tina free discussion about Twitter’s place on these boards?

tom, Diggy , poor yorick and 3 others like this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    agreed punk. despite what wocky says, it isn't about her, at least as far as I'm concerned. let's minimize the image links and twitter embeds. Sometimes a graph or table is a really useful thing, but knowing when an image is really worth something text can't convey is worth knowing and then putting into practice where possible. Letting someone else's Twitter feed speak for you is just so ****ing lazy. Not that I'm not lazy. I'm really lazy.

tom, Diggy , poor yorick and 3 others like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's really not. I've tried ignoring, but the posts come so fast and furiously, along with the (often negative) responses to said posts, that the threads read all choppy.

As for my ASG comparison, fair enough, I can admit when I've crossed a line. I will stop with that comparison.

Also, god damn you, Cor, you couldn't have started this earlier? I already dropped it in the thread. I already said anything I'd say in here.

Jello, you could argue that a single user is being discussed here. I just want to note that this is comms thread number three, addressing these concerns. At some point, you can't assume this is one person vs the world... this isn't an isolated event.

Tina, I'm not even remotely obsessed with you. You turbo-post in all threads, you are virtually unavoidable.

So, anyway... moving forward, the asg, etc remarks will stop. I (we) need you to give a little now. LISTEN to people's grievances, instead of getting uber-defensive. People have legitimate gripes with your incessant posts. These gripes didn't come from nowhere--people aren't making **** up.

So yeah, I'm busy at the moment and don't have time, right now, to sit on this thread. Hope I.covered everything.

Coruscant likes this.
  21. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Sounds good to me.

I’ve been thinking about the twitter thing recently. We’re a small, insular forum that is much like a community (literally called that, too) whereas twitter is a massive social network where there aren’t communities so much as hashtags.

I think it’s good for users here to realize that they should be mindful of how they post here if they’re coming over from twitter a lot. Tweets shouldn’t be inundating threads

3sm1r and harpua like this.
  22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    It’s that twitter ain’t going anywhere for the time being, and how does that relate to the collective experience on the boards

Coruscant likes this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    My default reaction now is going to be "What did Tina do this time?" whenever the JCC clique gets in a huff.

Based on people's reactions, it seems to be tweets and Star Wars references that really irritate people.

This isn't that serious guys.

I usually make an attempt at finding a tweet that also includes a link to a legitimate news article about it. Tweets can be succinct and provide a lot of information in one spot.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A big bit of the issue is that simply dropping Tweets into a discussion forum without any actual discussing is decidedly *not* properly using a "discussion" forum as much as it is making people who have chosen to be members of a discussion forum subscribe to following Twitter accounts they had no interest in following.

If people want to read Tweets without the insights or opinion of people registered here, they would simply be following those accounts on Twitter.

There is a place for the occasional Tweet but turning any thread into a random Tweet algorithm feed defeats the purpose of what these boards are.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I see this happening even with mods. There is one in particular who has been using a Spider-Man gif rather liberally to reply to starbob. I personally got tired of seeing that gif, but then just decided to ignore it. I don't have to look at it if I don't want to.

For as far as I can remember, sharing the occasional news link (hyperlink) has been a part of the discussion, but not a substitute for substantial discussion. In many instances, where it references a news event, some tweets are standing in for the news links we used exclusively 20 years ago (imho).
    If it is just sharing a news event or announcement, then it should be a springboard for further discussion, shouldn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.