main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    A valid concern.

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Yes, if you use a laptop, your tweet looks HUGE, and it takes 2 seconds to load. Anakin's picture is even bigger, and it's obviously not formatted in line with the tweet and the text. Then there is a bit of text and another huge tweet with shiny blue colors.

Perhaps I'm a weirdo, but all these things combined makes it less pleasant for me to scroll the page. I feel overstimulated and more tired when I get to the end.

Joystick Chevron and harpua like this.
  3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I really don't think it's so bad that it's worth getting worked up over.

There are points where threads have a couple of pages of nothing but jokes and sarcastic remarks. Then there's tweets, gifs, and images. Then there's some serious discussion. I think the conversations ebb and flow perfectly fine.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Does your browser support a "reader view" format that shows only the text and leaves out all graphics?

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm speaking personally, not as a mod, but in that case I would prefer for you to say it in your own words. The fact of the matter is that you cannot engage with the original tweet poster if you wish to discuss the tweet on these boards. It feels weird to engage with a poster who has only posted the tweet, and nothing in their own words...because they haven't said anything for themselves.

tom, Jedi Ben, Darth Punk and 8 others like this.
  6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I got tagged in the OP. Saw the thread. Played a game. Four pages!

It was a nice gesture Cor but ultimately doomed. Princess_Tina is never going to show understanding and will only dig in. Plus you get Wocky huffing all over the place. This thread won't bring people closer together.

But it does show that people are willing to post if there's something up. That should be kind of a wake-up call when it comes to the JCC.

Diggy likes this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Oh? Really? Is someone trying to litigate posting styles irritating for you? How exactly do you think people felt about your earlier behavior then?

Introspection is an interesting and useful skill.

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Fair enough. I was just using that as an example. I can definitely see your point about it feeling weird engaging with a poster who only posts the tweet. Me personally, I usually add some context for why I am posting a tweet. Even if all I'm saying is that I agree with the person posting the tweet.

But I do still think there is a value to posting a tweet by itself. Sometimes it's just news that also provides a source. Or it can simply bring that sentiment into the JCC discussion, and let it be known that this is also a discussion being had outside of the JCC. And it doesn't necessarily mean that that particular post containing the tweet has to be engaged with either. It's just part of the ongoing discussion. Now, if a poster is doing that back to back to back, then yea, there's a problem. But nobody is really doing that. I think things ebb and flow appropriately. Sure, some do it more frequently than others, but I don't think it's worth having multiple discussions in Comms over.

Man, you're username here really fits with your posting style. I literally just imagine Watto flying through and saying something nasty when I see a lot of your posts.

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    OK, let me throw a wild idea there and if you don't like it, you can shoot it down.

Could we just have one dedicated news events thread in the JC Community section that is allowed to be text-heavy (meaning tweet links, news photos, etc) but that does not constitute any of the so-called "****-posting"? Meaning, it's just stuff that doesn't really rely on snarky posts or memes, but just brings up straight-up news events as they are reported?

Anyone who doesn't like heavy graphics for aesthetic reasons, or whose laptop cannot handle so many graphic elements swiftly, like Esmir, can simply choose not to click on that thread.

Then we can ask all other Senate threads be allowed to remain mostly graphics-free save for rare exceptions (to be determined by the mods)?

I feel this would be a win-win for everyone, the discussions in the Senate can then be mostly free of memes, gifs, photos and tweets, and those of us who don't mind them can find them where they won't bother anyone.

Sound good?

Yeah, that doesn't sound judgmental at all.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Nah, there's too many things happening in the world. One dedicated news events thread wouldn't be enough. Heck, I barely participate in the general US Politics Thread anymore, outside of modding it, because it's so broad a topic that it jumps around too much.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I like to take the opportunity to write "Wocky huffing all over the place" whenever I can. It's meant in jest. You know I have come to appreciate the thought you put into your posts.

But what I meant by it was that if it was Coruscant's aim to create understanding for some kind of JCC forum culture, it's doomed to fail.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I love her idea for the opposite reason, so that the shiny objects will finally be removed from the senate threads.

If it was for me I'd eliminate colors in the signatures lol

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Believe it or not, I'm actually not against making the Senate threads 99% graphics-free, so long as the rest of us who don't mind those graphics could have another place where we can share and read up.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Fair enough, Watto. Apologies.

I really was irritated with today’s events and guess I got a little too on edge.

15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm a very literal person, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but from an uninvolved person's perspective (mine :p ), the 2020 thread looked like it had battle lines drawn across it earlier, and at times it seems they've been redrawn in this one.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You know, Wocky, this is the result of the battle we fought years ago. You and Ender Sai and harps (of all people) were in favour of the Senate merger, and Darth Boba, Lowbacca and I were against it. You argued it would bring Senate and JCC people together. We argued it would bring down the level of discussion in Senate threads.

Turns out we were both right on the money.

The Maverick and Lordban like this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I wouldn't trade you senate freaks for anything in the world, so no regrets.

Why "harps (of all people)," though?

SuperWatto likes this.
  18. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020

thought it was a daft thing to do when they did it too years ago, truth be told.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    it's not a out a gotcha...it's about having the flow of conversation make sense. You made a post and I responded to it, but because you edited the post it made my post look nonsensical and out of the blue. This lead Darth weavile to respond in a way that he might not have had you not edited your post. When you retroactively edit posts after they're responded to it makes the conversation look like nonsense.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    So, first you act in ways that make me feel safer just putting you on ignore most of the time, then I'm supposed to unignore you exclusively when it suits you to protect the "flow" of a thread?
    If you could please stop posting in a way that almost always feels inherently angry and adversarial towards those who don't share your political leanings, it would do a lot more for the "flow" of a thread. It's totally possible to disagree on issues without becoming disagreeable towards others. I welcome honest disagreements but you could try a little harder to keep the conversation friendly.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm sorry but what the hell does the ignore function have to do with my complaint here. My complaint is that you retroactively edit your own posts after people respond to you, thus making them seem like fools arguing with the air. I don't care whether you have me on ignore or not. I just want the misuse of the edit function to stop do that people can have a conversation in threads you're involved in without you causing confusion.

lmao get outta here with this ****.

SuperWatto and harpua like this.
  23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Because you're now defending the values we defended then.

harpua likes this.
  24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You guys gave me your senate herpes. I am now 100% serious business. I even dedicated a Grateful Dead song to J-Rod.

Darth Punk , Coruscant and SuperWatto like this.
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    And I couldn't possibly know what your response was if I had you on ignore at the time, could I?
    Only mods cannot be ignored. It seems like you want mod-like powers, as well?
    If you want to make it a policy issue, then it should be a policy that's implemented across the whole JCC and applied equally to all forum users. You can't make it just about the people you dislike or disagree with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.