main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The solution here would be to either not use the ignore function if it hinders being able to contribute, or to have any substantive changes in a post accompanied with an edit note.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    See, with Lowbacca and his stone cold logic around, you automatically end up with Senate rules

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Look, @Lowbacca_1977 , I'm all for updating policies when it's about something that impacts a substantial part of the forum users.
    This whole business of trying to settle personality differences under the guise of "policy issues" is something @GrandAdmiralJello already pointed out.
    If we start down that path, it will never stop and the admins will be presented with a new "policy issue" every time a handful of users are trying to antagonize the people they personally dislike.
    That's not going to help the JCC in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, is that a bad rule? It doesn't seem particularly intrusive, and would solve the issue that people seem to be complaining about. It would only be a big deal if someone edits their posts a lot without marking them as such.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    As a user, I am in the minority that tweets don't bother me, but then I'm one that posts them A link to article on sites with a paywall do though.

But it sounds like if I post "I just read this tweet" and then type what the tweet says instead of posting the tweet itself and whatever else I have to say- that would be enough?

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Great, now I'm reading Leona's posts as Deep Thought and thus the unrelenting truth.
    "You just get on the pundits circuit..."

Healer_Leona likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    @Outsourced , if you're referring to the rule as it stands now, it seems perfectly reasonable. Other forums don't even have a time limit for editing one's own posts.

But I hardly see how Vivec giving a single solitary example of something that HE didn't like makes it a pressing policy issue that requires changing forum-wide policies.

8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    That would be much better, Yes.
    Tweets are visually noisy, if it makes sense.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    If I was on ignore, how would you be posting in the ****posting thread to begin with? That thread should have disappeared for you.

And as I said earlier, I don't care if you put me on ignore. I just want the dirty editing to stop.

Darth Punk likes this.
  10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    @Princess_Tina In the thing you're responding to, I didn't suggest a policy update; I said the fix to your issue, specifically, of wanting to edit posts frequently but then being upset that it gets a negative reception is to do one of those two things.

I've tried to keep this general, as I think the issues are general ones.

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Does everything need to be a pressing policy issue to be addressed? Like I said, it wouldn't be an issue for the vast majority of users. It would only really be a net positive.

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This is all literally because people have a fixation on Tina. This is has been going on for months now. There is nobody else that this is about. Take Tina out of the equation, and nobody is having this discussion. This is about one user and one user only. Three separate and lengthy threads in Comms over it.

FFS, get over it. If you don't like what she posts or how she edits, stop engaging with her and move on. It's not that hard.

Mods, I don't know what I'm risking here, but can one of you interject and put a stop to this? Maybe threaten bans if people keep going on about this?

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    If someone replies to one of my posts in that thread, I'll still get a notification. If I choose to follow the thread separately, I can get notifications too. I've done that with DP threads in the past.

It seems to me the only dirty editing is in your mind. All forum users have the same ability to edit and add to their posts, within a 30-minute time frame. To the best of my recollection no one has ever seriously complained about this at any time in recent years.
    And what is so incredibly important about responding to my posts that you feel you must make a federal case out of this? My posts aren't nearly as important as you evidently feel they are. For that matter, none of the stuff in that thread is of Earth-shattering importance, imho

No, what GAJ asked earlier is how this is different from someone trying to pass off a personal dispute or disagreement as though it was a policy issue. Which in this particular case it clearly is, since Vivec is giving only one example of it happening. If there were dozens of examples involving a lot of forum users, it would be easier to believe it is a legit policy issue, rather than someone with a score to settle.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    No one does it as much as you. Hell, every post of yours on this page has a dirty edit. I half expect this one to have one as well by the time I post this.

Edit: And the post I'm replying to has now been edited.

Diggy and SuperWatto like this.
  15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    @Princess_Tina have you tried self moderating and trying to meet people half way?

harpua and Outsourced like this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You are engaged in a lot of conversation in the only election thread and they're routinely hard to follow because you edit your comments in order to make the posts after yours look nonsensical.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That is a very subjective opinion - have you been keeping stats for all the forum users across all the forums? Show us the data, please?

People following the forum rules make you unhappy, so the solution is to change the forum rules around your personal preferences. Yeah, that's not at all lacking in objectivity.

@DarthPhilosopher This thread was supposed to be around policy issues, if you have an issue with a particular person, then you can bring it up with a mod. And whenever a disagreement is around a matter of opinion, I will always respect that there are differences of opinion and once an impasse is reached, it's better to move on to another subject or just cease the conversation altogether.

18. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    You have literally edited every single one of your posts on this page. Like... c'mon.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I really don't feel like naming names, but as it relates to general Senate threads I think an official expectation of better posts would be about far more than just her posts. Both in general spammy content, and posts that have no interest in contributing to discussion.

For whatever extent some individuals have personal vendettas, that is not the full domain of the concern.

20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    @Lowbacca_1977: You know sometimes a lot of you guys can go several pages making jokes and snarky remarks. Which is fine. But I don't think any of you have any intention of stopping that. And you don't have to.

But that's what a lot of this is about. The selective outrage over one user masquerading as some policy change for the betterment of all.

Like I said, take Tina out of the equation, and nobody is having this discussion the way they have been doing for months. You can't deny that. And that's not an indictment of Tina, she shouldn't have to stop doing what she's doing either. You guys are way too fixated on her.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I’ve actually never really liked it when people just drop a hyperlink and nothing else. It adds nothing. I have no reason to actually follow the link, it could be anything. The people who do this tend to be boring people who link to boring things. Or 45 minute podcasts with no context other than “this might be of interest”, and no promise of an engaging discussion. I suspect few people actually follow these links, as they never lead to discussion, so they’re just taking up space and time.

For me, it’s not just about tweets, it’s about empty posting. I don’t want the few threads I like reading to become spam threads. I don’t like spam threads and I do steer clear of them, so why don’t spammers steer clear of threads where spamming isn’t appreciated? Just posting a link is empty posting. Twitter is worse because it takes up more space and bandwidth, and when tweets are deleted, you get those loading errors and the page never finishes loading. It slows down browsing. I know this isn’t the JCCer’s fault, they can’t know if a tweet will be deleted, but the more that are posted, the more deleted tweets we get causing lag.

You ask, why not just skim past empty posts? I can. I have. But I’m getting to the point where I’m skimming past entire pages. To the point I’m skimming past all but a few users. At what point do I just stop coming here?

Am I really asking for too much by asking people to post something worth reading? Am I asking too much by asking people to try? You don’t think it’s incredibly lame to empty post and then tell people to skim past if they don’t like it? You don’t think it’s lame to spam threads?

I don’t expect certain people to understand this, because they’ve repeatedly demonstrated a failure to understand, but not all tweets are the same. They are not all equal in what they add. They’re not all equal in terms of tedious empty posting. Funny tweets at least add something funny, if nothing else. Tweets with unique comments from unique personalities add something unique. Mundane news tweets aren’t funny or unique, and if they don’t add legitimately interesting news, they don’t add anything of interest. Not all information needs to be posted. See: deaths of people no one has heard of.

tom, Jedi Ben, starfish and 7 others like this.
  22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    @Princess_Tina we're all a community here, and a few users seem to find your posts particularly problematic. Have you tried meeting them half way?

harpua likes this.
  23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yeah, this seems about 99% of it.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    May I suggest that a lot of you seem a little too attached to the JCC to be getting this worked up over one user?

25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You're really missing the point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.