main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020
    this is a very interesting thread from a sociological standpoint to say the least.

Users: A, C, E and F: can we please stop talking about user B, it's bigger than that

Users: D, G, H, I: it's all about user B.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems that y'all regulars want different things from your community.
    I always understood it that Senate threads were held to higher standards of posting and if you were to post in one then your posts should have a bit of weight to them and not just 'drive-by-posts' or a twitter link, is this not the case anymore? are the JCC and Senate tags now so blurred we need Robert Thicke to sing in here?

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This place isn't the end all be all for political discussion. It's a Star Wars message board. Maybe you guys need to lighten up a little as well.

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    DP, with all due respect, I believe it's you who is missing the point. This thread was started on the premise of discussing a policy issue - and if that's all it is, fine, let's all discuss that.
    And yet every single one of your posts is about your personal dislike of one person - that isn't a policy issue. If you see any posts in the forums (from ANY user) that you find "problematic" and it goes beyond simply a personal dislike, then report it. Let the mods deal with it.
    And stop obsessing over forum stuff that happened many months ago.

I don't disagree that we should want more substantial discussions in the Senate. Bringing up some new element of information is merely the first step in engaging in a conversation about it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Emperor Ferus and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This is the thing I mentioned in the last Comms thread about this. It's not clearly defined in the forum rules what "higher standards" of posting are for Senate threads. Most of us, including myself, would agree with your interpretation of it. Perhaps it would help to specify what the expectations/guidelines are. I know PG is already going to be doing this with the next US Election thread so maybe that could be the template.

Jedi Ben, Darth Punk , harpua and 4 others like this.
  5. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020

The Senate Floor rules thread: from NOV 2007

that was how it was when I used to look in said forum anyway.

Jedi Ben, Coruscant and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    All of that changed in 2012, when we moved and merged the forums. Jazib is right, there were no policy discussions when that happened. We've been operating like this for eight years now, with no real issues. But now, here we are. Clear guidelines are necessary now, I guess.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    And those clear guidelines should make it harder for individual posters or a small clique to purposefully antagonize those individuals they don't like personally. Because cliques like this clearly want to drive people they don't like personally away from the forums.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Which of my posts have you taken issue with on this for not making a point?

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I was once enlisted to explain those rules to people like Beezel, so I'm clear.

10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know what you are referring to.

11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    This is the crux of the issue though. I don't have a personal dislike of you. All my posts today have asked if you've considered meeting people half way with this.

harpua and Outsourced like this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Listen to Punk, he is correct.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Have you actually been reading the thread? I've already stated my position on the main issue being discussed. Go back and re-read the posts, before you continue misrepresenting where people are on this.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    This should not be a referendum on individual board members. It should be a dialogue about what has become problematic with Twitter - a wild wild west social media platform that is not going to go away, and that we have to find a way to live with that doesn’t just make this place become a repository of.

Lordban, harpua and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    @Princess_Tina

Yeah I have. It seems that you think this is all a personal vendetta, when I don't think it is at all. You've just suggested that I had a personal vendetta here when I don't think I've posted anything suggesting so. I think if you took the criticism on board people would cut you alot more slack.

Regarding Twitter broadly, I'm all for banning it from here. If it's newsworthy it'll be posted in an article anyway, which can be linked.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thread spamming with vapid unsolicited embedded content deserves to be discussed without individuals being singled out and/or setting themselves alight as martyrs.

3sm1r and harpua like this.
  17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Tina had the idea of a catch-all news thread earlier, which gave me an idea of my own. What do we think of a thread for tweets, outside of the ****-posting thread?

In the meantime, maybe tweets would still be allowed in the regular Senate-tagged threads, but only with original commentary provided by the reposter.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    You responded to my post about this being a broader issue and not just about one person with saying "You know sometimes a lot of you guys can go several pages making jokes and snarky remarks. Which is fine. But I don't think any of you have any intention of stopping that. And you don't have to."

So I'm wondering which of my Senate posts you are talking about that didn't have a point.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Original content is vital. It's at the heart of all Senate threads... and that is a standing well known standard and not some recent cultural thing anyone can believe is being weaponized. There's a reason that a ****posting thread is designated for all the ****posting (ie unsolicited gifs and memes and Tweets and such).

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    One moment it's about Twitter, but then it's about all graphics - including gifs, etc. For the sake of people whose PCs/mobiles have a hard time with lots of graphics, I can totally see having some kind of uniform policy, at least in Senate threads - spoiler tags or whatever.

You do keep focusing on a single person, tho. Even DP just stated that "This should not be a referendum on individual board members"

This certainly sounds fair to me, as well. As many of us have said linking to external sources should still be allowed in some form or another. It's not about being the first to share the new thing that just came over the news, but where we go with that and incorporate that into the ongoing discussion.

21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I mean I don't know of any in particular off hand. Maybe it wasn't you specifically. But that happens often in the senate threads. Sometimes they'll go for a couple of pages of just jokes. And yet you're talking about those threads as if they should be strictly a place for serious discourse. But if that were to happen again, I don't think any of you would have a problem with it. Which goes along with what I mentioned before about the selective outrage people have towards certain users and that much of this is thread is directed at.

22. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^ Oh Yes ^
    This is the solution. It was so simple, yet we didn't have the intellectual courage to flat out propose it.
    Ban all tweets, instagram silliness, shiny windows, heavy pictures, everything eyes-catching from the senate threads.

If some celebrities post a smartass tweet showing off how clever they are in owning Trump, then (1) I don't want to know about it, (2) if you really want me to know about it, go do some research and you'll surely be able to find a corresponding smartass pundit publishing a lame clickbait article celebrating the smartass tweet that was so important to post.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think that kind of post would have belonged in the "****-posting" thread anyway.

24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Wait are you being sarcastic @3sm1r?

Princess_Tina likes this.
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm so used to him srs-posting it didn't occur to me he was capable of sarcasm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.