main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    No defecation. Tired of these bums.

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    If I had to venture a guess, I’d say he’ll demand New York and California ‘pay up’ since he ‘helped them defeat the China virus’ and now they ‘owe him’, then launch into a tirade of how they’d rather spend the money paying for illegals in sanctuary cities instead of helping Americans in red states because they ‘hate white people’.

If I were writing his scripts, that’s where I would take this.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Rew, Valairy Scot, blackmyron and 3 others like this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It's a horrible prospect but I fear you may be quite on the money, @Vaderize03

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope Cuomo pulls a Lori Lightfoot and tells him to go **** himself.

5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh in the end it will go on everything else does......Uncle Sam's credit card:

[​IMG]

I do look forward to Trump ranting against the fed chair that he installed later today especially since apparently inflation now is a good thing.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    GOP economic policy in a nutshell: "when WE do it, it's A-OK - when the Dems do it, it's an unholy abomination!"

7. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    That's not just just economic policy.

Vaderize03, Yodaminch and Luke02 like this.
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yep though both sides are guilty of that (see gerrymandering for details) but the GOP almost as monopoly on the "Do as I say, not as I do" form of governing.

Kiki Jinn and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  9. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It's one of the fundamental rules of politics: it is always the right thing to do when you do it, and almost always the wrong thing to do when a political opponent does it.

EDIT -

"America is not a racist country", said Nikki Haley yesterday. And she's technically correct: America isn't a country.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Oh, he would. And then some.

He'd probably also offer assistance from NY emergency teams and other crews to show what a real leader in a crisis looks like. Just like he did when he sent supplies down to Florida after their COVID cases exploded.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Or better yet, Wolverine from his First Class cameo. :p

12. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Yeah I was about to say how can one drop "economic" or even "policy" in there. It's clearly the essence of GOP governance in general at this point.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Well, Bilbo, I think that the problem is that the republicans stand for chaos and fascistic violence as their policies. Therefore, some of the things I want, such as free healthcare for all, education for all, and other welfare state ideas, or even a more moderate compromise, are thrown out the window by the extremism. Therefore, the policy is not even what the far-right wants. They want violence against minorities, since they unjustly believe they are stealing their jobs. That's dumb af. I mean, most of us know that did not happen. The jobs weren't even given to the oppressed people to begin with. Honestly, I think that's the issue. It's like America is a collection of different countries. Some parts of our country would adamantly oppose segregationist tendencies.

Honestly, I think that this society would be more fair if employers gave everyone an equal shot at getting a job, and if the citizens were taxed less. I mean, the middle class and certainly the working class. I think the corporations need to be taxed. I believe that's why people get jaded. They hope for years that the richest of the affluent will be taxed to fix the mess, and then they give up. So, I think we ought to keep fighting for that. Even if we lose, fighting for the right thing is worth it, environmentally. Humans suck, but my Facebook friends generally want to vote for Howie Hawkins because they think votes for Biden and Trump are votes for extinction and collapse. But I understand what Noam Chomsky's take on the situation is. He doesn't even like Biden. But he feels that Trump is the true adversary of democracy, and I think he carries some weight as a philosopher. Biden is bland as heck, but he's not a threat to democracy. You all know I don't like him, given my earlier posts.

But honestly, if Trump is reelected, I think many black people are going to be moving to the Caribbean and many trans people are going to be moving to Canada and Europe. And I don't blame us. My Dad said he would help me in such an endeavor. Trump wants to wipe out nonwhite humans..despite how they are just as human as everyone else. His Carson fellow called us trans ladies men, and said we were unworthy of living in shelters. And Trump himself said we were drug addicts unworthy of life. So, yeah. Trump is a pig. He is anti-human for opposing us.

Glitterstimm and Alpha-Red like this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    That's not something that should be accepted. You can only push that so far before you end up with a might-makes-right world and destroy the prospect of a peaceful society.

15. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I agree. It's not something that should be accepted. But it's not one of the fundamental rules of politics because it's acceptable; it's one of the fundamental rules of politics because it works with a large majority of people. We're a very, very long way from having enough people enjoying enough critical thinking ability to invalidate that rule. Tribal reflexes in politics, however, are highly reliable.

16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    On MSNBC, Joe Biden says that if he were president, he would go to Kenosha, Wisconsin. But as a presidential candidate, he says that he is considering going, but won't commit to doing it. Like, doesn't he realize how that sounds?

I think it's fair to say that his reluctance to engage with Trump is hamstringing his campaign. Yes we are in a pandemic, but most people still expect traditional demonstrations of leadership.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How do you think it sounds?

It sounds to me like someone that doesn't want to spread a virus and endanger people. Visits from officials in-office can command resources and attention to an area in ways that candidates simply cannot. Likewise, it can allow "on the ground' insights that help inform later policy discussions. Biden doesn't have access to these levers of power, so there's no point in pretending he does.

18. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    It sounds like he knows exactly what the public expectation for a president is, and he is unwilling to meet that expectation.

Then why is he suggesting Trump should do it? No, this is just bad messaging, and the paradox of trying to run a non-campaign with an old school candidate. People want to see what a President Biden looks like, and no, they don't all have a rosy memory embedded from the Obama years like you do. Physical courage has always been a core component of Biden's persona, but he can't demonstrate that in any substantive or superficial way when all he does are zoom calls.

Optics do still matter.

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    My last post was dedicated entirely to addressing this. There is a difference between Presidents and Presidential candidates. The presences of a sitting President could help in the way that a non-incumbent candidate never can. Which is an excellent reason why one should strongly consider doing it and the other should not.

Your complaint is that he's not being superficial enough, when the downside of such acts is excess death or serious disability? This is a pandemic. "Bravery" has nothing to do with it. This is the same kind of benighted reasoning that animates anti-mask protesters. It is bizarre and irresponsible to me that you continue to elevate these concerns over the actual wellbeing of human beings.

20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    They wouldn't get to see what a President Biden looks like. He's not the one that can give orders, whether he goes there or not.

But that's not why I wouldn't be going there right now if I were Biden. I wouldn't go because with a hard Red executive mucking about and deliberately letting fascist militias stay active in the mix after one of their number murdered two people, I couldn't guarantee the safety of my staff.

21. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    It's weird how you are acknowledging the benefits of "on the ground' insights that help inform later policy discussions" but then you don't think that Biden should seek these benefits, even though you expect him to be a president leading those discussions. This doesn't make sense.

The DNC just held a convention which gathered hundreds of people indoors to program political messaging. In the parking lot crowd many people weren't wearing masks, so forgive me for not taking Democrats' crocodile COVID tears seriously. No, they are just as invested in superficial optics as everyone else.

Fair point, and I'd like to see Biden acknowledge this reality. I'm tired of hearing him talk about healing, bridging misunderstandings and listening to each other. The battle lines have been drawn and he still pretends to be a referee.

Lordban likes this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Trump was looking to back out at anyway. This will cause him to go, "See it's Joe who is the coward who won't debate...MAGA!". It truly is the battle of thinnest kid at fat camp. And my wife to this day wonders why I quote K from MIB all the time saying a person is smart but people are dumb panicking and stupid therefore while I love a person, I hate people.

23. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    In his interview just now on CNN, Biden recommitted to doing the debates, said he would do all three. Dismissed the calls for a "fact checker" to be present.

He was actually better than I thought he would be, was explicit in saying the Rittenhouse shootings were white nationalism.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Come on, Jack."

"I give this Pi Pinocchios. Donald Trump's name is not and never has been Jack."

Glitterstimm and DarthTunick like this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No, it isn't. Joe Biden takes office in late January of 2021. That is five months away. The window for the kind of help a President can provide is long closed by then. Donald Trump is President today.

A small collection of camera people, sound technicians, and communications booth workers can take safety precautions in a way that a large, in-person political rally can't hope to. Likewise, being outside with cars that are parked at a distance from one another can sharply reduce viral spread, even without the use of masks (though obviously this would be preferred). Your refusal to acknowledge differences in levels of risk and the usefulness of practical precautions is bewildering. What is this lust for in-person events?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.