main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Empire Strikes Back 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Thena, Jan 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    I have always loved the original trilogy. I think that TESB was a little darker than ANH especially when Luke gets his hand sabered and finds out that his enemy is really his dad. When the blu-ray edition came out my dad was so excited, bought it on Amazon for christmas and then he made us wait months so that we could get a perfect soundbar so we "would get the perfect experience of watching Star Wars". My mom got to watch the movies when she was ten with her older brother.
    Tatooine scenes are/were are really cool because they actually outline Luke's characteristics, you know? He wants to get off this planet to adventure and see the galaxy!

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Welcome to the forums and nice post. That is awesome that your parents introduced you to SW that way. ESB was revolutionary at the time; sequels being dark are kind of expected nowadays but as kids ESB shocked us all. (in a good way)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    ESB tv spots and commercials.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    TESB is coming to my cinema in September. Excited! Never seen it on the big screen before.

5. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Then you are in for a massive treat!

6. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I remember that Atari ESB game.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  7. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Outside of the Atari game there was also that JVC game for the NES.

[​IMG]

And also the classic Super Empire Strikes Back for the SNES(which I heard is one of the hardest Star Wars games ever).

[​IMG]

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    The SNES Super Star Wars games are some of my favourites!

I saw the 40th Anniversary at the same movie house where I had attended the premieres for TPM and AOTC, making it the third Episode I've experienced being projected onto that big screen.

9. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I was four years-old when I first saw TESB in the theater, it's the first movie that I have memories of. I sat on my daddy's lap and vividly remember Luke and Vader's lightsaber fight. I remember thinking how cold the must be. [face_love]

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    It's such an epic film.

11. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    They are a bit slow for modern audience standards, but because ANH really picks up pace as it goes into its latter acts, works for me. :0

I played Super Star Wars as a kid, albeit the ANH one. Couldn't get past the first level, though I think I made it as far as the Sarlacc or whatever that final boss was.

Two decades later, I found it at a videogame exhibition, inside the SNES and all, and thought 'Hey, let's see what it's like now'. And guess what? It still kicked my ass.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Nintendo Hard is a trope for very good reasons :emperor:

R.D. likes this.
  13. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    The 8-bit NES Empire Strikes Back was pretty tough too. You could potentially make it unbeatable by not picking up the lightsaber, and no lightsaber force power-ups (because doing so gives you the lightsaber, even if you don't get it initially.) I logged a lot of time on those games.

SNES Empire was tough, but it remains one of my favorite SNES games.

christophero30 likes this.
  14. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I do know that the Japanese version of that one had, for some inexplicable reason, clones of Darth Vader throughout that then randomly transformed into monstrous animals. :)

15. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Modernized ESB trailer:

16. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    I doubt there will ever be a Star Wars movie that will ever compare to TESB.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Bit of a spoiler there, tho, ain't it? :p

StarYogi likes this.
  19. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Well since modern trailers are notorious for spoiling the entire plot in under 3 minutes, I guess they were on point! ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I saw Empire Strikes Back for the first time ever in the theater on Friday I was born June 5 1981 so the movie came out a year before I was born!

21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    From Mojo: latest box office results 28th Sept ,

In fourth place was a familiar visitor from a long time ago and a galaxy far, far away. Star Wars: Episode V — The Empire Strikes Back returned to theaters to celebrate its 40th anniversary. Now a Disney property, the PG-rated film used the Force to score $908,000 in 2,097 theatres......=D=

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  22. Mokuhanga1

Mokuhanga1 Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2020
    I'm beyond hyped that my fiancee and I will be seeing TESB theatrically on Saturday. I've never seen any of the OT on the big screen, so this is a bucket list event.

23. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I also finally got round to seeing TESB in a theater the other day! I've seen it on a big screen before at open air showings, but I guess I can say I saw it sitting on my butt in a good ol' traditional cinema too. The sound was great, and the effects still look amazing--at no point did I think of Yoda as a puppet, for example, and Cloud City looks as fine as anything out of current films. Put all that together, the way the OT grabbed people still resonates 40 years on. :)

24. Mokuhanga1

Mokuhanga1 Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2020
    It feels good to have finally experienced The Empire Strikes Back as always intended, in a movie theater. It was the 2011 version as expected, my preferred cut. The surround mix and bass sounded awesome.

I really hope ANH & ROTJ are re-released for their 40th and 50th in the future, so I can say I've seen the entire Saga theatrically.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  25. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.