main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Rew, Nobody145, Valairy Scot and 6 others like this.
  2. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    You say this as though there won't be police murder of black men and protests against it after he's president . . .
    I need you to understand that working class people do not have the resources to rent studios, auditoriums, and hire film crews to project their voices. They need to rely on whatever they have to seek redress, and often that is nothing but themselves. You have no standing to lecture people about "levels of risk and the usefulness of precautions".

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Actually that is about the worst thing he can do. Biden is not president yet even though I wish he was.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It sure would have helped if Biden hadn't picked a ruthless prosecutor who made a history of siding with cops and attack poor people and minorities. The best thing to do is keep Kamala out of the spotlight.

5. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm trying to think back to her acceptance speech, was there any point where she explicitly said Trump was racist? Did she use that word?

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Biden has been involved with these meetings and conversations for several incidents. He will have even greater involvement in the incidents that do happen in his tenure. You know, the ones that don't occur when he has no actual power and when a pandemic is wildly uncontrolled nationwide. The marginal gain he will get from one more local visit isn't really that great compared to the marginal risks of his visit.

This is a deeply bizarre response. You asked what the difference between hosting the DNC and doing a large, in-person political rally was. I told you. Whether people should be protesting is a very different than whether Joe Biden should go on-site to try and make a raucous speech about it.

7. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Here's a link to her speech quoted verbatim. She doesn't attack Trump himself over racism (he only gets named once, and is indirectly mentioned another time), but she does talk about racism - and specifically, systemic racism resulting in disproportionate numbers of black and latin Americans dying in the current epidemic.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  8. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    This is not what I asked, stop trying to avoid the discussion. You believe that some forms of protest are legitimate and others are not. You've been quite open about this for awhile now. Biden can choose to show his support by joining protesters or he can choose not to. The COVID question is besides the point.

Ok, yeah this is what I was thinking. I just watched her remarks on CNN and she never called Trump racist. I'm starting to think we might go through this election with Kamala having choicers words for her running mate's racism than her opponents. Like with Obama, she seems very hesitant to call a white person racist, but I think that's the campaign doing the talking at this point.

9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    1. We have literally never been discussing protester behavior. You started the conversation this way:

We were talking about how Joe Biden should respond to the Kenosha protests. Which is why every one of my comments has been about Joe Biden.

2. Your specific comment that opened this phase of discussion was here, in response to my point that the risk from COVID-19 made Joe Biden's attendance inadvisable:

I made a comparison to the DNC because you brought up the DNC as a rationale for why he could attend. I demonstrated that the risks involved in each activity are different.

3. If the standard is that the only way to claim one supports the protests is to show up on-site, then I suppose you don't care about them at all either.

10. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Tonight will be interesting to say the least but for me personally I have to say...

4 years ago I watched Trumps’s nomination acceptance speech and then could not sleep. No lie. As a lover (and writer) of history I felt we’d clearly turned a page in the worst possible sense. And again, that was just his nomination acceptance speech. IMO the last 4 years have validated all of the fears I felt that night and then some. Can’t wait for the election to be over with one way or another, it’s felt like a lifetime getting here.

Rew, Ghost, darthcaedus1138 and 6 others like this.
  11. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
  12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I’ll be staying indoors. I feel so bad for the children and teachers. I hate trump.

Kiki Jinn and Princess_Tina like this.
  13. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Why? The point is to look presidential while Trump peddles white grievance politics. If nothing else, it certainly would take the wind out of the “hiding in his basement” line of attack.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    mnjedi and Glitterstimm like this.
  14. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Yes, you have argued that privileged elites like Biden shouldn't have to share the risks of the people they ostensibly represent. Not physically, not symbolically, not at all. Like most liberals, you have a blind spot here.

Exactly, it's a no-lose situation. Putting on a mask and meeting with protesters on the ground to listen to their grievances firsthand as well as lending his support would go a long way towards building his "healer in chief" bit. He doesn't need to meet white antifa bros, just show that he's present.

mnjedi and Vaderize03 like this.
  15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

If she shows herself on the side of protesters, coming to share their griefs even during a pandemic, that might help to soften the ruthless prosecutor look.

16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    More assaults on journalism.

I hope beyond hope someone has his tax returns and leaks them before Election Day. Maybe the Washington Post will publish them?

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have always hated it when presidential candidates act like they're already the President. Remember the financial crash of 2008 and how McCain suspended his campaign, told Obama that he should do the same and dashed back to Washington because he said that the crash needed to be taken care of and then he got to Washington and just stood around because there was nothing he could actually do to address the issue? I hate that ****. Biden going to Kenosha would be in the same vein. What's he going to do when he gets there? Give a ****** speech? Great. Who gives a ****?

Princess_Tina likes this.
  18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Actions speak louder than words. Her actions as that of a prosecutor and that of an attorney general were abhorrent, and coming out now to say "but i feel your pain" is too little too late. Very few people will believe it. This is a woman who had to drop out of the race because she was going to lose her home state of California to Bernie.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    She was losing to Andrew Yang in California.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Typical behavior of someone who doesn't have a thing to hide, nor any skeletons in the closet.

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Debates are always a risk for the candidate who's leading.
    In addition to that, Trump has virtually nothing to lose 'cause his supporters are too committed, and Biden has much more to lose, 'cause he can't speak without making gaffes. I totally understand why Pelosi would come out with a similar idea.
    Then I don't really know whether chickening out from the debates would be more or less damaging than going to the debates and making gaffes.
    Personally, perhaps I'd probably accept to go to just one rather than three debates, if I were Biden, but it's a difficult call to make.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Biden's presence doesn't mean he shares the risk. Bringing Biden, his campaign people, and the Secret Service across the country spreads and exacerbates the risk. He owes it to people already risking their lives not to put them in any more danger. It's something you might grasp if, at any time in this past year, you had tried harder to learn about risk mitigation in a pandemic.

EDIT: I see that Rogue1.5 made the point pretty strongly before I got here.

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

I cannot disagree, but the way I see it is we're stuck with them and I would like to see some sort of effort on both their parts to be someone I don't dislike.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Biden's answer to literally any criticism is tell a voter "listen Fat, go vote trump" so I don't think we're getting any effort on this ticket's part.

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    These ****ing idiots need to be charged. Hatch Act, attempted manslaughter? Recklessness? Endangerment? I don’t care what.

But this seating configuration outside of the White House right now is downright criminal in more ways than one.

I’m livid about this superspreader event.

Meanwhile, Biden did the responsible thing and only had a few staff and reporters socially distanced and wearing masks. At this point, that alone should be enough.

Ghost, Alpha-Red and Princess_Tina like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.