main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Greetings, Star Wars brethren

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Eduardo Letavia, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eduardo Letavia

Eduardo Letavia Jedi Padawan

Aug 27, 2020
    Hello to you all, honourable members of the Jedi Council. I'll introduce myself: I'm Eduardo Letavia, a middle-aged man who grew fond of Star Wars in his childhood back in the late analog years. Not that I had access to much Star Wars related things back then, in fact the only toy I've ever had was the figure of one Jabba guard (an ugly fellow from ROTJ, the one with a wrinkled face and dreadlocks that was behind Luke in the skiff before the jedi would make his "jump" into the infamous pit). At the time I didn't even knew that, since I had only seen the first movie. Only after a few years I discovered the other two movies and, although I don't remember it well, that finding probably was a real mind-blow for me back then. Later I would be able to play a couple of console games and, finally, I would reach the expanded universe (wouldn't it be more correct to say "expanded galaxy"?) through the many novels I obtained. Then, the nineties came and the prequels happened... An event that might ring a bell among some of you, heh.

Nowadays, I have to say that I like Star Wars more as a framework for possible stories, and that I have found little appeal in any of the recent movies done up till now. In fact, I've seen fan shorts with more heart and creativity (and much less resources) than most of the official media done in recent years. Of course, I won't go into a rant here, it's not the proper place! And no, I'm not judging everything done under the Star Wars brand. I don't think I'll have enough lives (or patience) to see it all! (And no, I haven't seen The Mandalorian yet...)

Currently, I'm more interested about the rethinking (or even reinterpretation) of Star Wars, about how to make it evolve from its current state of, what I feel at least, stagnation. If any of you happen to have thoughts in a similar vein, let me know! Maybe we could do something about it, while having some fan fiction fun at the same time.

I think this is enough for an introduction, so I'll wrap this up saying that I'm glad to be here and I'll read you around!

2. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    Welcome, enjoy your stay among fellow SW fans. If you love stories about it I would definitely say that you should delve into the role playing forum. There are many SW stories, both ongoing and completed, there. There is also both a Jedi group and a Sith group that are involved in the RPF, which most of the writers of the stories are involved with, one or the other.

Otherwise, I will just say enjoy and welcome.

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Greetings and salutations! Please let us know if you have any questions about navigating the forum please let us know.

4. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    Interesting story! Welcome to the forums!

5. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello! Welcome to the community. :)

let me know if you need assistance finding your way around.

6. Eduardo Letavia

Aug 27, 2020
    Thanks for your welcome! For now, I'll keep a low profile and get a feel of the forum (the fan fiction section mainly).

darthbernael likes this.
  7. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    That's a good way to start, I'd agree. If you do check out the RPF it doesn't mean you'd have to join and write. But there are a LOT of good stories there to read as well.

As it is, taking it slowly is a very wise course.

Elder74 likes this.
  8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome! Late to the party again!! Seems everyone is offering their help, and if you need it do take it. We're a friendly bunch.

9. Eduardo Letavia

Aug 27, 2020
    Thanks!

10. Eduardo Letavia

Aug 27, 2020
    Well, I'll take it slow since I don't really have that much time either... @darthbernael, you have mentioned a couple of times the RPF. Since, as you said, part of the fan fiction writing is happening there, could you (or anyone here, of course) give me some hints about that forum? Specially for someone not really interested in role playing per se, just in crafting Star Wars related fiction.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Just watch the double posting mate, you have 30 mins to edit your previous post, if you wish to quote someone in an edit, quote it, cut it and paste it into the edit ;) Double posting is against the rules, considered 'spamming' ;)

Take a look here! All the Fan Fiction information you would want or need!!

Elder74 and darthbernael like this.
  12. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    If your desire there is not to get into the role playing then just looking through the stories would be the easiest. There are many SW stories, both focused on the Sith and the Jedi. There are other genres as well. If you scroll through the lists most stories begin with the narrator/GM having an opening post that sets the tone. I'd say check out those and see if they are interesting and if so the read through the story. I've done so myself, when I first came to the forum and I do take part there and I have added to my repertoire some of the ways others write when it looked to complement my own writing style.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Adalia-Durron likes this.
  13. Eduardo Letavia

Aug 27, 2020
    Yes, sorry about that @Adalia-Durron, I just replied "whatsapp style" so to speak.

So, from what you say I get the feeling that most of the attention is given to the Jedi and the Sith, nothing surprising given the preeminence they have had since the prequels. This impression leads me to another question for all of you. From what you've seen, it is not explored in the fandom or in the current canon the possibility of force users that are not related in any way to the Jedi or the Sith? As far as I remember, there was no such a case in the old expanded universe (well, there was kind of a exception in the The truce at Bakura).

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    From what I understand, it can be either, genetic or random..........The Force chooses.....

darthbernael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.