main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    @galactic-vagabond422 It could also be both. Remote corner of the galaxy, or even way back in the past so you can capture that hard sci fi feel more for those who desire it. Ideas to consider?

@Shadowsun Also looks good! I’d say all of those storylines look good to go. #4 should be narrowed down to just the ends of the solar system rather than galaxy however IMO. Feels more in line with the level of tech you’re displaying. ;)

Shadowsun likes this.
  2. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Force Ghost star 4

Jun 26, 2017
    Ah yes my mistake I meant solar system. Yeah the tech is supposed to basically be us in like 10-25 years. (Whenever Elon Musk finally decides to land on Mars :p)

Darth_Elu likes this.
  3. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    So I might be going over my head, but an idea is brewing in my mind of a DC comics based game, debating whether it should be an Apokoliptian invasion of Earth or based around the Doomsday Clock (or a combination of the two).

Sir_Draco and Kurisan like this.
  4. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    TheAdmiral has caught the GM bug hard I see.

cackles maniacally

Kurisan likes this.
  6. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    I blame you for that :p

Sinrebirth and Kurisan like this.
  7. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Whoever is to blame, I must say @TheAdmiral you are very good at it. [face_batting]

TheAdmiral and Sinrebirth like this.
  8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    *sigh* This is revenge for me having to withdraw from Calm Before the Storm, isn’t it? You think I have time for a DC game? You think I have the will to resist joining? [face_laugh]

:_|

9. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    There, there, it is not too late to return to the flock... also join the DC game... :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Reynar_Tedros and Kurisan like this.
  10. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Sinre... I request a GM ban on TheAdmiral on the DC game until Reynar and I have time to join in the future.

I know you have the power to do it!

11. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
  12. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I gotta say I am an temporary comic reader at best, but I think the Doomsday Clock would make an incredible plot device. Why has nobody done a Watchmen game anyway?

13. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I feel like....There was one before.

14. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    Well it will be loosely connected to it, maybe an aftermath of sorts. Was thinking that Superman is either dead or taken by Dr. Manhattan as an experiment to another universe.

So Darkseid launches a Galaxy-wide war and starts moving Apokolips towards Earth. So the first act will be preparations, maybe foiling some sabotage attempts and so on. Some of the villains will have to decide where their allegiance lies, whether they want to see Earth subjugated and so on, oh there is also the Batman Who Laughs, who is a wild card. Will not go into the Perpetua thing though.

I was thinking that it will be a long and protracted conflict (so will not be resolved that easily). Governments, heroes and some villains will have fight side by side to stop the invasion. And then launch a counterstrike on Apokolips.

That is the basic premise of the story that I have in mind.

Kurisan likes this.
  15. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    @TheAdmiral well... if you do it, you know I'm in... if you'll let me! :)

16. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    How big would be the interest in a small town horror game actually be around here? Very character based and slow burn, but definitely aiming to rise the hairs on your neck, eventually! Skipping the last few years I found there were not exactly many horror entries.

Darth_Elu likes this.
  17. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Candlewood did good in sign ups, but I had problems meeting the expectations of people. Very tough to pull off, also I totally see you doing it. Anyway, be warned.

Out of curiosity? What will the game be about? Any hints?

Darth_Elu likes this.
  18. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    I'm always up for a horror game, @Lawbreaker. I remember old Graven Bay from years and years ago that had been a lot of fun. If I wasn't in so many games already! [face_frustrated] Still, my interest is there, so who knows. lol

@SirakRomar has good advice there, keep it in mind if you pursue it. Am also curious to see what specifically you have in mind. :D

19. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    Hm, looks like it is tough to do around here.

What would it be about? A small town with a mysterious vanishing and a nearby living cult ... corn belt USA. To tell more would be spoilers.

DarkLordoftheFins and Darth_Elu like this.
  20. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Sounds solid, but as you have already analyzed yourself probably we had few horror games around here. I can remember a zombie game and a werewolf game, but otherwise the ancient Graven Bay and the more recent Candlewood. I loved Candlewood, I really did and I would love to see any sort of sequel. But if it is any indication to answer your question the GM recently told me if that was gonna happen, probably not around here.

Anyway, I think you can start any kind of game right now and some players of your previous two would sign up, so don‘t feel shy. GM reputation is making games fly more than even genre does, methinks.

21. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
    I know it is customary to tease the game in here and then launch the OP but this game kind of comes as a 'whole package' as it were to make sense. So if you want a long read here you go (I put it in a spoiler as to not be annoying):

The Saga of the Ryujin

In the beginning there was nothing but the three.

[​IMG]
    Tellus the Earth Dragon

[​IMG]
    Caelum the Sky Dragon

[​IMG]
    Pelagus the Sea Dragon

From them came forth Regnum: A vast, fantastical plane of existence where elves, humans, goblins, orcs, halflings and a whole host of creatures were born.

[​IMG]

But perhaps their greatest creation was the Ryujin. Beings capable of transforming from their humanoid form into a dragon. Those blessed with this gift often rose to immense status and influence.

Indeed, one such being rose to unfathomable power. That to even rival the three. Their essence a duality; one forged in fire, the other carved from ice. His name: Sapientis. He led a group of Ryujin in rebellion against the three, an unholy civil war with cataclysmic effects. Only when united were Tellus, Caelum and Pelagus able to defeat Sapientis. His essence spilt in twine and sealed.

Eons have passed, the Dragon Gods no longer interact with the mortal realm. The ancient war faded to a distant memory. Regnum is filled with disparate kingdoms that fight for survival. Before the three deities departed, they spoke of the duality of Sapientis. Two halves that would arise to destroy the mortal plane, beings of Ice and Fire. That once joined would be unstoppable. Rumors of Sapientis’ halves having been reawakened are a buzz along the plane, but most ignore them. Most but not all.

You have received an invitation from a Ryujin named Zalzabar. He has formed a group to hunt down ancient relics of the Dragon Gods in order to defeat this supposed force. He gave little details but spoke of the possibility on great power, riches and knowledge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Zalzabar

Who knows why you accepted?

Perhaps the glory, the fame?

Perhaps the riches?

Perhaps the power of these ancient Talismans?

Perhaps out of a sense of duty?

Let the adventure begin…

“It simply isn't an adventure worth telling if there aren't any dragons.” – J. R. R. Tolkein

--------------------------------​

Welcome to The Saga of the Ryujin! An epic of bravery, grand feats, and noble sacrifice! You play as an adventurer selected by the mighty Zalzabar to engage in a grand journey to defeat an ancient foe. While an original world, this is not a Sandbox style RPG. It has one story: a beginning, middle and end. Victory is not guaranteed, if our heroes were to make a foolish mistake, character death will occur. This is a world we will discover together, building it as the journey progresses.

A Note on Characters

While there is plenty of room for powerful and versatile characters there are limits. Some should be obvious (You can’t be one of the three Dragon Gods, or equivalent in power for example). Keep in mind this is a medievalesque fantasy world, so create your characters accordingly. Your character does not need to be a Ryujin and any race can be one. There will be a maximum of seven characters.

A Note on Ryujin

As mentioned above, any race can be a Ryujin. There are four loose classes of Ryujin which should give an idea of how powerful a particular Ryujin is. All Ryujin typically have a strong association with magic, (although not always), for those that do their magical abilities become much more powerful while in dragon form. Some are incapable of casting magic in their humanoid form and can only achieve once they are a dragon.

For a far more in depth look on Ryujin and the four classes go look at the OOC/Resource Thread. I strongly recommend you look at that if you wish to be a Ryujin.

Character Sheet

Name:
    Appearance (if a Ryujin include dragon form as well):
    Equipment:
    Class: (Ignore if not a Ryujin)
    Personality:
    Bio:

Rules
    1) Respect and Obey the TOS
    2) The GM’s word is Law
    3) No God modding
    4) If you need to step away, please notify the GM
    5) Have Fun!

(The following part would be in the OOC thread):

‘Newborn’

Those who have recently discovered they are a Ryujin are affectionately named ‘newborns’ as they have been ‘born a new’. Those that are newborn often cannot summon their dragon form on command, and their transformation seemingly happens at random. When they are in dragon form their abilities are limited to say the least. For instance, there is no documented case of a newborn being able to fly, such a skill takes time to develop. Their magical connection is also severely limited, and for even normal mages unimpressive. When in their dragon state they are not much larger than a human, perhaps eight to ten feet tall.

Adept

After some training, a Ryujin is able to gain control over their transformation, summoning their abilities when they will it. While their transformations are no longer random on occasion, they will trigger their dragon state when under great emotional duress. Also, a Ryujin’s magic is now enhanced at this stage, only the most powerful non-Ryujin mages are able to match their magical abilities. The vast majority of Regnum’s Ryujin are at this stage, and most will go their entire lifetime without progressing past it. Adept’s are ‘normal’ dragon size that is to say about the size of a house.

Elder

If a Ryujin is able to reach the elder stage they have been able to unlock the deeper aspects of their power. No longer transforming under emotional stress, these Ryujin can grow to enormous sizes and their magical capabilities seemingly endless. Few of these beings exist and when they do, they typically rise to great power.

Ancient

Legends speak of a class even above that of elder. These supposed ancients hold unspeakable power, their abilities of that the Elder Ryujin could only dream of having. How these supposed Ryujin got their power is unknown, perhaps it was from the dragon gods, or some other benign force. Such mysteries may never be answered.

To give an example Zalzabar is an Elder Class Ryujin as he is capable of transforming the weather, casting large bolts of lightning and can grow to very large sizes when in dragon form.

EDIT: Ah yes when you go to hit preview and accidently click post reply....oh well....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  22. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Ah, it looks like I’ll be beaten to a High Fantasy game. Looks highly intriguing @Shadowsun!

*glances at his own fantasy project* Perhaps I can shelve this for another time then. Decisions to be made. [face_thinking]

23. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
    ....lol whoops! Well I'm not sure when I'll launch it...just wanted to know people's thoughts

EDIT: I meant to add this game would be for five to eight people....but my stupid fingers were a bit too trigger happy with the aforementioned preview/post reply debacle

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Sinrebirth and Darth_Elu like this.
  24. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Looks good. Another source of temptation. ;) :D

And its all good, creative endeavors are always good. It looks like Ryujin is still a lot closer to launch than what I’m working on. LOL :p

Sinrebirth and Shadowsun like this.
  25. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    Woah! Looks amazing! Don't tempt me!