main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social What is your first memory of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Also about Wars in the Stars. :D

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  2. Luminous Crumb

Luminous Crumb Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2020
    My earliest memories are all a jumble. Maybe my first was of waiting in white corridors amongst tense men, with helmets like firemen, all armed and focused at the same point down the corridor, I don't know at what, or why, but it was all very exciting and mysterious. I remember it like I was there, instead of watching it.

The first memory that I can fix in time is of anticipating Return of the Jedi in the spring or summer of '83, when I was 6. The red Imperial Guards I had glimpsed in the previews excited me so much I painted my Storm Trooper figure red, very badly.

When my parents finally took us my Dad kidded me into believing he was taking us to see Mr. Mom. It was several minutes into the film before I really believed it was the film and not a preview. I still haven't seen Mr. Mom.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Luminous Crumb , Mr Mom was pretty funny back in the day. Check it out sometime.

Luminous Crumb likes this.
  4. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    The confusion of seeing two suns convinced that my teacher told me there was only one sun in our solar system. I was 6 or 7?
    Other than that, when I first saw Darth Vader hijacking Tantive IV.....I was sold.

5. Luminous Crumb

Apr 13, 2020
    Michael Keaton is always watchable, and I'll snatch it up if I get the chance. It will have been a long time coming :).

Sarge likes this.
  6. Luminous Crumb

Apr 13, 2020
    Sorry, patchy connection.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  7. Jektheclonewithbigguns

Jektheclonewithbigguns Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2020
    My first memory was when I was 3, I was obsessed with Darth Vader, I had a full costume about a 1.5 foot action figure and the plastic light saber where ever I went.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  8. RaiseTheFlag

RaiseTheFlag Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2020
    My earliest surviving memory is seeing Threepio and Artoo argue before going separate ways on Tatooine and feeling sad about it. I have no idea how old I was

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  9. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I was too young to see the OT in the cinemas, but I was aware that Star Wars existed, mostly through older kids. Some of my friends had older brothers and inherited their Star Wars figures. I remember seeing the movies on TV and not really being able to follow the plot, but being drawn to the visuals. Darth Vader and Jabba’s Palace (particularly the rancor) really stuck in my mind. I also remember one of my friends being absolutely terrified of my Bib Fortuna figure.

10. Nhisso

Nhisso Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2020
    When I was 4, I found an Empire Strikes Back storm trooper toy at a park by my house. My mom let me take it home since no other kids were around to claim it. I left it outside in our backyard and found it, in of all places, the snow, the following winter. My mom said "oh I forgot you had this! I wanted to show you were it came from". And she then had me watch A New Hope and I was hooked! I, of course, watched the other 2 movies of the holy trilogy, and that Christmas I got my first ever Star Wars figures (aside from the one I found). Now I'm 38 lol. What's been cool though, is that 3 of my 4 kids are old enough now to appreciate to Star Wars more than just toys and video games. We used the quarantine to watch all the movies except for Rogue One and Solo. We will be watching those, too. And we've now watched all the tv series. We just got Disney+ so we are in the process of re watching The Clone Wars and SW Rebels (my favorite SW thing of all time besides the original trilogy).

11. Nhisso

Nhisso Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2020
    lol nice. Bib was my first ever non canon Jedi character I made up with my toys.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  12. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    Star Wars fan evolution: As I child, I remember seeing the Ewok Adventures movies on TV, and then seeing ROTJ in theaters (yes, I'm that old--I was nearly 4 when ROTJ came out, and Star Wars fandom was raging). I remember playing Star Wars on the playground of my daycare center in Arizona, and since I was the only girl, I was always Princess Leia. Fast forward to high school in the mid-late 90's: my fandom sparked up again when we played two Star Wars songs in my marching band's field show my sophomore or junior year ('94-'96). Yes, I saw all of the re-releases/SEs in theaters--I tried to get the first showing of each one, which left me busting but straight from my high school that got out at 3:10 to get to a 4:00 showing in another town. I went to at least one midnight showing of ROTS dressed as a Jedi.
    Boba Fett fandom evolution: I was also became a subscriber to the Star Wars Insider magazine in the 90's. I received two posters through that subscription, one was Han Solo, and one was Boba Fett. I gave the Han Solo one to my mom since she had a crush on Harrison Ford at the time, so I put Boba up on my wall just because I didn't know where else to put him...I wasn't very familiar with his character until I remembered, "Oh! That's the guy that fell into that pit with teeth...what was his name, who was he?". LOL I became more intrigued by this armored character and ended up becoming a huge fangirl. Yes, I still have those posters! They are packed away and not on display right now, but I plan to have them framed at some point.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  13. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    When I was a kid my Dad has me okey this video game with him and at the time I had no idea what it was thought I really enjoyed the game and still do.The game was Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga which was the first game I ever played.I then started to learn what Star Wars was from my friends and I saw a few episodes of the tv shows and read a few young reader books.Though I had t seen the movies yet because I lived with my mom at the time and she wasn’t a fan like my Dad.When I was 8 I finally watched them with my Dad and I loved them.Though I wish he had we watch the original trilogy first.I would then go on to watch a lot of the shows and read some of the books but my favorite memory of it when I was a child was playing with my toy plastic lightsabers with my friends and how badly those little ****ers hurt when they would get you right in the finger.I also remeber how much Anakins fall to the dark side confuses me as a child.I was like “wait he’s turning to the dark side because he had a bad dream about his wife dying and he assumes the dark side is rhe only way to save her?” I was a very dumb child

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    DarthIshyZ and Sarge like this.
  14. RebelJoel

RebelJoel Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2020
    My first vivid Star Wars memory is seeing the covers of the 1997 Special Edition VHS' on my parent's dresser and thinking they were books of some kind. It wasn't until I was a few years older that my dad finally showed me the movies proper, though he opted to show me the original CBS Fox video releases instead of the Special Editions.

15. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Have noticed a few 'double posts' here, please be careful, its against the rules to do this ;)

16. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    4 years old at a cinema in Manchester saw Star Wars while on holiday with my mum and auntie, at the time who would have thought I would have a love affair which would last 43 years and counting. Another memory collecting all the figures and trying to get as many playsets and ships as possible and playing with them as much as possible

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  17. Tanitha Solas

Tanitha Solas Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2020
    The theaters were filled to capacity every night. took me 6 months to finally see it. Other audience members were screaming and everyone really got into it! It was the best time!

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  18. Tanitha Solas

Aug 16, 2020
    I had to wait over 6 months to see the first film, it was so popular! I love all the SW films,including 7, 8 and 9.

19. Tanitha Solas

Aug 16, 2020
    Anyone here a member of the old SW fan club? they gave out great posters and stuff..

20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Watch the double posting here @Tanitha Solas - you have 30 mins to edit, please do so in future.

21. Eduardo Letavia

Eduardo Letavia Jedi Padawan

Aug 27, 2020
    Many orbits ago, in a cinema no longer standing...

A kid went with his mother to watch a rerun of the first Star Wars movie. In his six years of life, he had never seen anything like that. Ever. Back in his home, he would pick his Lego pieces up and try to build his first X-Wing by memory...

DarthIshyZ and Sarge like this.
  22. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    Jabba's gigantic face and booming laugh when I saw RotJ in the theater when I was 3 years old. Not only is that my first SW memory, but also my first cinema memory.

DarthIshyZ, Sarge and Princess_Tina like this.
  23. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019
    This will show my age, as I've been a fan from the very beginning.

I was 13 years old and my brother, a school friend and I went to the local cinema to see A Bridge Too Far on the school holidays in December (Australia) and the original trailer for Star Wars was shown before the film. We were so excited by the trailer that the war movie didn't really interest us, and using our drink and snacks money, we paid for another session just to see the SW trailer again. We talked about it and watched the magazine racks and newspapers for more news on the film over the following months and my school friend and I went to the first public session of the film in '77, and went every weekend after that until they stopped showing it. It was re-released the following year and we went to see it again and again. We couldn't get enough of it and we had scrapbooks with clippings and we bought all the magazines and poster books. We were so hungry for anything Star Wars that we collected everything we could find. All our pocket money went on SW and I remember how excited we were when the Kenner figures finally reached our shores, even though we felt a little guilty about buying dolls at our age. We had seen them advertised in the Marvel comics and it took months for them to reach Australia. I remember ordering MPC kits through Famous Monsters magazine and waiting six months to get them.
    Our fathers threw out our collections when we started to drive and chase girls, but we still went to see every movie release as they came out, and that friend and I went to see TROS in December last year, and before it started we recalled the day we saw the very first trailer back in late '76/early '77 (I can't be specific).

I'll never forget the line: 'Somewhere in space, this may all be happening right now'.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Good Lord! Another member older than me! :eek: AND ANOTHER AUSSIE!! :eek: September School Holidays in '77, Adelaide, I was 11 and it changed my world!!!

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I remember that trailer. Watching it now, it's so strange to see iconic SW scenes set to music that sounds like Vivaldi's Four Seasons, not John Williams.