main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Be Excellent to Each Other: Bill & Ted (Face the Music)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 20, 2019.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Man Stephen Colbert dropped the ball @VadersLaMent in that interview since he should know that Keanu is Canadian by birth therefore has dual citizenship. Also Alex is born in England therefore he has duel citizenship as well. :)

Edit: And @darthcaedus1138 we need more of that beyond just teenage comedies. I would love the next round of Star Wars movies to be much more like the OT in that it is much more fairy tale then anything else.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Wish I was willing to go to a theater to see this but I won’t. Damn COVID.

Luke02 likes this.
  3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Get it on VOD then!

Princess_Tina likes this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think it's supposed to drop at midnight tonight, isn't it?

Luke02 and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    YES!

However, diligence and responsible parenting dictates I wait until tomorrow evening to watch it so I can watch it with my kids.

Master_Lok and Princess_Tina like this.
  6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Hope you will enjoy it, I may wait until it's a cheaper rental.

Master_Lok and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Most triumphant watch of the first two movies but have about a hour and a half until it hits VOD (hopefully in Canada) so can watch Blu Ray extra features or try to track down episodes of the animated series!

Luke02, Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    the reviews I've read are quite complimentary, hype levels increasing

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    18 minutes past midnight and don't see it :/ most non triumphant

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    79% on RT. Most outstanding all things being equal.

11. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    It's up to 81% as of five minutes ago!

*air guitars*

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Phew it's there now for Google Play rental, non heinous! Wish someone had flipped the switch at midnight EST though

13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Glad to hear that the reception's positive.

A question for fellow cinephiles: Has there ever been a good third film in a comedy series? Return of the Pink Panther was pretty decent, but technically it's the fourth in the Clouseau series.

On edit: I forgot the Marx Brothers! Monkey Business was great!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  14. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Back to the Future Part III wasn't terrible...

Anyway Just purchased Bill and Ted Face the Music...but I have a dilemma. Do I watch it now or wait for my kids to get here in a few hours?

Who am I kidding? I'll watch it now. And again with the boys later.

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm a big fan of BTTF III and consider it the best film in the trilogy in many regards, it has a depth and warmth of its own and even more old-fashioned charm than the original. Plus Mary Steenburgen.

16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I forgot about BTTF III! Yeah, that was fun! And Lloyd and Steenburgen were great together.

Princess_Tina and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  17. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Ok...just finished Bill and Ted. My initial review:

Most triumphant!

I'm a blubbering emotional wreck of pure joy. That was quite possibly the most wholesome comedy I've ever seen. It's an absolutely adorable story about love of family and the joy that only music can bring...across time. It's also everything you loved about Bill and Ted 30 years ago. "Ted, you have had many counter-intuitive ideas over the years, but this is by far your most counter-intuitivist" or something like that was ****ing gold. Or "Future you is a total dickweed."

I loved everything about this. Their daughters are hilarious. I loved that they were able to include George Carlin in a sensible, understated, and still very touching way. I can't wait to watch this with my boys later. This is exactly the kind of healing piece of art that we so desperately need these days, I can't state that strongly enough. It's really rather felicitous.

I'm kind of all over the place with my thoughts, because I'm so pleased, so I'll watch it again later and I look forward to discussing it more here. Be excellent to each other!

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "What are we doing?" "No idea, that's the point!" "I'm confused!" "Me too!"

19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    @Mortimer Snerd pretty much said what I wanted to about the movie. So happy it turned out so well!

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was the last movie I got to see with my best friend in high school, just before he died, so this was already pretty emotional.
    I'm pretty drained being perpetually angry about every damn terrible thing in the world today - and don't plan to ever stop being angry while they are happening because I refuse to ever accept that's the way things have to be - but I find it difficult to watch depressing stuff right now. Watching the new Bill and Ted, though, was pure joy. Even the 'dark' stuff in the middle was just pretty damn funny. It was just a super mega-happy fun movie that also didn't treat the audience like idiots.
    I also loved the post-credit sequence, because it was just - again - pure joy. A fun, final scene of Bill and Ted.
    And the credit sequence for showing a bunch of people around the world just having fun and being silly.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That credit sequence was all fan-submitted videos they did a contest for earlier this year. Very nice.

So, I have seen the third Bill & Ted movie (Excellent!), even though I could not do so in a theater and had to stream it (Bogus!). It doesn't have the depth of the first two films (particularly Bogus Journey) and the overall threat is weak and lacking any suspense (and the main antagonist of the story is definitely a weaksauce subplot... but puts into motion something semi-random that takes some unexpectedly delightful twists (one running gag in particular I really wish could have gone on for one or two more instances before being resolved/moved-on from, because I was dying the second time). It would have been nice to spend more time in at least a couple of the destinations/missions instead of jumping around so much.

Despite those reservations, it's still a really enjoyable, light comedy with a really fun cast. It's a good mixture of elements from the first two films, with some nice newer ideas thrown in.

darthcaedus1138 and blackmyron like this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This was just a really fun, super-cute movie. And like both of the other two, it had not a mean bone in it's body.

I was mostly doing fine, though a little verklempt over old Bill and Ted talking with young Bill and Ted -- mostly because it was actually the actors channeling what they felt towards their early role -- right up until "Your father would be so proud of you." Then I was not okay.

23. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    After a second viewing with my kids (both of whom LOVED it too!) I'd like to reiterate what a genuinely happy experience this has been.

We all expected some nostalgia, but I think this knocked it out of the park.

Brigette Lundy-Paine, the young actress who plays Billie (Ted's daughter) is sensational. She's such an awesome mini-Ted you can't help but enjoy her character in EXACTLY the way you enjoyed Ted in 1989. I think Alex Winter hasn't lost a beat, and in my opinion, gives the most triumphant performance in the movie. Every classic Bill mannerism from the wedding speech, to "Ted my friend?" was just the beginning...he seemed to ramp it up with every line without becoming a cliche of...well...Bill. And the post-credits scene...oh man...

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    We watched it Saturday Night as part of a "date night" at my bff and his family (my wife is still giving grief for calling it a date night). First impression: It is the Toy Story 4 of the Bill & Ted movies. It was a very enjoyable movie but also had it never existed, I don't think I would miss even it even though I am a massive Bill & Ted fan obviously.

25. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    Hi! I'm a teen, and I have watched all the Bill & Ted movies except for the newest one! Is it good? I hope its not like the Bogus Adventure.