main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think most audiences watching the Cassian show will be aware of the Death Star and Krennic’s role in it, so I don’t see this as an issue. I mean, the “Anakin is Luke’s father” reveal from TESB was spoiled in the prequels, and that wasn’t really a central point of complaint...

That said, Stellan Skarsgard is playing a main villain in this show, so I don’t think Krennic will be central to it. Perhaps we’ll see him at a few Imperial council meetings, or something. Reveling in the secret project he’s spearheading.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  2. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    True, but we all knew about the Death Star before RO, and the reveal to Cassian about the planet killer still held weight in the moment as it set up the events of the movie and abruptly upped the urgency for the Rebellion to find a way to defeat it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right - but you strengthened my point. :) We knew about the Death Star before watching RO, but the reveal was still very weighty because the film was successful at building tension and danger. So by that logic, knowing more about the Death Star in the Cassian show won’t lessen the impact of the reveal in RO.

RO has a very strong internal structure that keeps audiences tense despite their existing knowledge. That’s what I mean when I say it’s the best standalone film of the series, next to ANH. It needs no other film to prop it up.

4. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    What I was trying to get at, and not very well apparently, was if they reveal Krennic and the Death Star too soon, does it become a waiting game leading up to the reveal in RO? Where it has the potential to gloss over the events of the show because nothing that happens is as important as Cassian finding out about the Death Star?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I get that. It will be up to the showrunner to give the other missions Cassian embarks on significant personal and galactic weight. I think Gilroy and co. are more than capable of that. Though I’d rest easier if I knew Edwards was closely involved...

6. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I would think a show based on a character from RO would want to use other characters from the same film, when it's possible. Just a couple cameos of Krennic would be cool.

I really hope the Cassian series is good.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I see almost no reason to expect it won’t be. A spy thriller in the GFFA made by many of the same people who created Rogue One? With Stellan Skarsgard? You’d have to try to screw this one up,

8. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    A tad late to the R1 show but I just watched it last night as my usual "bridge" from the prequels to the originals and as always its just a damned solid film. For those that have 3D, I own the 3D version and on my OLED its freeging cool. As for the film itself? It just feels "right". It fits. It doesnt stray too far off course if at all. The characters arent necessarily built up totally but we get enough to work with and the final scene(Jyn and Cassian on the beach) certainly does resonate. I find the battle at Scariff to be one the best in ANY Star Wars movie. Its a visual treat and there is so much at stake.

I love how the story unfolds too. The defector, Galens booby trap is unveiled, how every little piece has to fall into place for the data to reach the rebels. Krennic is an interesting character that helped drive the narrative. Tarkin's inclusion worked for me too. And, nothing more needs to be said about Vader and his epic scene at the end along with his chat with Krennic. Just so many positives!

Negatives? Not a ton. Saul Garrera wasnt really that interesting to me. There was some dilly-dallying in the middle of film to reach our final conflict which slowed the procedings down a little. Nothing major. This is easily the best "Disney era" film, IMO. Its now a must-watch after Revenge of the Sith to set you up for A New Hope. Just excellent. :D

9. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    Couldn’t agree more. Battle of Scariff is one of the best space battles/ ground assaults we’ve seen. Seeing Krennic watch on as the bombs go off is gold.

There’s also something so satisfying about seeing the OT ships such as rebellion X wings and Y wings with modern graphics. It really does feel like we’re approaching the OT and well removed from the PT

10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Rogue One is the natural progression from the OT, it follows on smoothly, so much so that Rogue One flows into A New Hope seamlessly. In that it is my favourite SW film of the Disney era by a mile, I don't think any of the others come close for just the feel of the film, it really takes you back to those epic battle scenes in ANH, TESB and ROTJ.

May be the question is that after Aliens, Fox didn't believe a sequel could compete so they went back to story closer to the original Alien. Has Disney/LFL taken a similar attitude and there won't ever be another Rogue One style sci-fi war epic in the franchise?

AndyLGR and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  11. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Great point about being "removed" from the prequels and closer to the originals. The ships and some of the pilots from the Battle of Yavin in A New Hope are present too. Its just well done and planned out. You can tell. Krennic seeing himself about to be blown up is great. Amazingly, I actually feel for the guy. He's a good character and has as much depth as any other character in R1.

12. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    [/QUOTE]Great point about being "removed" from the prequels and closer to the originals. The ships and some of the pilots from the Battle of Yavin in A New Hope are present too. Its just well done and planned out. You can tell. Krennic seeing himself about to be blown up is great. Amazingly, I actually feel for the guy. He's a good character and has as much depth as any other character in R1.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed Krennic.

Like I say I think they really captured that OT feel in the modern day which made it brilliant for me. I prefer the PT but there’s just something magical about the OT. They tried to recapture it with the ST and failed, they could easily have lost R1 to a more ‘prequel feel’ with it being released in the modern day but they really just captured that essence. I don’t even know if that makes any sense but I know what I mean [face_laugh]

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    RO is definitely one of my favorites in the franchise. Few movies have made me feel as this one has.

14. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Best Disney movie by a long shot. They should do more tie-ins, tell stories during the Galactic Civil War, since the world-building is already established.

15. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I agree completely on the point of being removed from the prequels. It makes the prequels feel even more distant from the events of the OT. Almost to the point of being archival footage. RO hits every beat and every note perfectly to the point it feels like it's been there the entire time, as opposed to a new entry to the saga.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Since this is a thread about favorites and R1, this is my favorite movie trailer mash up with R1.

17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    One of my favorite Star Wars movies combined with one of my favorite WW2 action movies? Definitely getting some positive waves out of this.

I like to think this is how a deleted scene would have went.

Jyn Erso: Hey, rebels, this is your hour of glory. And you're chickening out!

Rebel Council: To a Outer Rimmer like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on a Death Star.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    This may be my all time favorite tweet. Definitely my favorite R1 tweet.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    [face_laugh] That's glorious, since seeing him in A Knight's Tale I always thought Tudyk would be a perfect fit into a Star Wars film.

Another Star Wars rendition of of Kelly's Heroes' that is just perfect for the characters.

*Baze Malbus and Chirrut Imwe on the beaches of Scariff*

Chirrut: Why don't you knock it off with them negative dark side waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Baze: Crap!

anakinfansince1983 and Sarge like this.
  20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    We have such strong memories of ANH, but I actually think RO is the better film.

Darth__Lobot and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    RO is the best Disney film, but that's about all I'd give it in comparison to the other SW films. It dresses itself up nice in the OT "style", but it doesn't feel necessary. It's a one-off, non-Skywalker side-story. Which is fine. Good filler can definitely be better than crappy non-filler. But it doesn't really beat the 1-6 Lucas saga for me.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I wouldn't say it's that flawed. Maybe a little bit. I know that Tony Gilroy made some changes here and there. But the most necessary change was to Jyn Erso. If she had been pro-Rebel and anti-Imperial as originally envisioned, she wouldn't have been as relatable. She seems to hate the Rebels more than the Imperials, given how she felt abandoned as a child. Therefore, her desire to have the Death Star destroyed seems more relatable partially due to the fact that she realizes that her father was only protecting her from being found by either side. At any rate, it's a great movie. Sometimes, I like it better than TESB or the entire CT. Just saying.

Plus, it is somewhat amusing when Diego Luna says that he is fascinated with the texture of Jabba's skin.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Darth__Lobot and Iron_lord like this.
  23. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    never thought it would but it does for me

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Likewise. Best Star Wars film, IMO. And 2015 me would be shocked at that statement.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  25. Starith

Apr 5, 2020
    I think my liking for RO has actually died down some, and maybe the fan praise and hype for it combined with the disappointment of the ST is partly why. But also, the film itself just has its flaws. I still like RO, I think it's the only decent SW film to come out of Disney, and those Vader scenes are stand-out awesome, but If I'm honest, without the Vader scenes RO probably wouldn't be that interesting to me.