main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Welcome New Users! Please start here! (Now with a quick guide to era tags)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 15, 2015.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Then people look like telltales, which is kind of uncomfortable, too. [face_blush]

Anyway, I talked to three other folks who find these three things annoying/uncomfortable as well.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Posting about it publicly is much more of a tattle than PMing about it where the other person doesn't know if it was another user or just us noticing. We do our best, sometimes it slips through, I don't really know what else to say. If you don't want to PM about it, then it might slip through. You won't always see anything about it because the vast majority of the time we PM people about these things because it's almost always someone new who just doesn't know.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    You absolutely have a point and I'm sorry.

mavjade likes this.
  4. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    How do I search among tags? I figured out how to set them, but when I want to search for tags set on other writers' stories I cannot find how to do it. Should I just enter the possible tag name in the "search" field of the forum, or is there another way to search?
    Please forget the question. I found the answer in another post.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Can someone please direct me to the rules on reposts? I looked in the FAQ thread but didn't see anything on reposting. Thanks!

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    There are no hard and fast rules about reposting (for now), other than you need to indicate it's a repost in the title bar.
    It's not a rule but the general community consensus on re-posting is that it should either have major changes from the previous version (not just grammar edits) or have been quite some time since the original post (4-5 years).

7. Elizabeth2020

Elizabeth2020 Jedi Padawan

Sep 14, 2018
    Hi all!
    I was a reader ‘way-back-when’ in 2002 and 2003. I’m trying to re-read some stories I enjoyed on the new Classic boards and most are cut off. Are you kidding me? All this amazing writing is gone! Are there any updates on if that will ever get fixed? Such a shame for all those great stories to be lost! Please give us a status update for forces sake

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Hi Elizabeth2020! Welcome back!

When we moved forum hosts years ago, everything got truncated to 10,000 characters, which is why they are cut off. We've given a bunch of status updates over the years, but you did just bring it to my attention that it's not in a very accessible way for someone who is new or returning. Basically what it boils down to is we have the backups, but they would be insanely expensive and time consuming to get up and there's no guarantee that it would work out without messing up the boards as they are now. So, we're basically telling people that while it's possible something could change in the future, it's best to figure this is the way things are.

You can sometimes find the old stories on other fanfic sites (FF.Net, LiveJournal are the most popular period) or you might be able to find them on the wayback machine. We've actually had decent luck with the wayback machine. I see you've found the Looking for Fics thread, which is the best place to get help finding specific fics. We've got some people who are really good at finding them!

I hope that helps!

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    Hi,
    Newbie with a question.

Before Legends - Stories that take place prior to The Phantom Menace in what is now known as Legends, the previous Expanded Universe, including games. If your story takes place in that timeline or with those characters, Before Legends is the tag you want to use.

This excludes KotOR, right? I thought Disney put that game into canon, or am I mistaken? Any story involving KotOR characters would either be a canon or AU within the canon and go in Before (sans Legends), yes?

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Correct.

No, as far as I'm aware KoTOR is still considered Legends (and Wookipedia still has it listed as Legends). Even when things from Legends get referenced in canon it doesn't make the thing where it came from canon. Another example is Grand Admiral Thrawn, who was brought back from Legends, but his story from the old EU is still Legends as are the books in which he first appeared. The new TV and books with him are canon.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Findswoman and Vek Talis like this.
  11. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Apologizes if I have missed this somewhere, but I am coming back to fanfic after a 15 year hiatus and trying to find some of my old favorite fics and authors. Is there a specific thread somewhere if we are looking for a fic and can only remember parts of it? Now that it is almost 2020 I am saving everything I find on my phone and my PC just in case lol. Since I have been around, there is now Pre-Saga Legends and Pre-Saga Canon correct? I was and am exclusively a pre-TPM Obi/Qui reader so I am trying to figure out what is and isn't canon with them now, not that it matters to me but would make them easier to look through! Thanks in advance!

12. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Is script allowed on here or purely prose? I have an idea I want to explore and I primarily prefer writing scripts, but not sure if the readers here are into that or not.

Has there been any script work in the past on this section?

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, scripts are allowed and there have certainly been some in the past. I'd say scripts tend to get fewer comments than prose just because I think most people reading fanfic are used to reading that way. But please feel free to post the scripts you write as things do change over time!

BRE and Tarsier like this.
  14. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks Mav, I've got a script series that's non-SW that I'll post some point soon, but I'm just wondering the best way to approach a SW fan fic project I have in mind. I think I'd wanna go with script so that's what I'll go with for now, maybe in the future if it didn't get much reception I would adapt it into prose.

15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    What does timeframe mean?

16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello! Timeframe is just what it says on the tin: when does your story take place? You can have general eras, like the sorting system we use for Saga-PT, Saga-OT, Before the Saga, Beyond the Saga, and so on and so forth. Then, there are more specific markers like post-TPM or pre-RoTJ you can include in your title bar or summary. There's even a guide for tagging stories based more on in-universe years, before and after the battle of Yavin, if you'd like to break it down that way. It's kind of a broad subject, so if you have any specific questions more than that please don't hesitate to ask and we'll do our best to answer. :D

17. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Thanks that clears it up for me

Mira_Jade likes this.
  18. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Awesome! Glad to help. :D

19. AnAluminumFalcon

AnAluminumFalcon Jedi Padawan

Feb 2, 2021
  20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hi there and welcome. I see that you've already posted to the two threads we normally direct people to (The Truncation announcement in Communication and Looking for Fics). Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do.

21. The Gray Jedi

The Gray Jedi Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2021
    So...
    I'm very new to this forum, i'm still learning how it works (and my English it's not very good either).
    I am here mostly because I want to share my fanfictions to other fans. But I also want to hear you opinions, your suggestions, your feedback.
    I'll admit this is a bit overwhelming, the more thing I found and the more I'm afraid of.
    For example, one of the rules I found about this section is:
    • All fanfic must be "Family Friendly" - Which means PG or a mild PG-13. This applies to sexual references, violence and mature themes.
    I don't think my stories respect this rule. That doesn't mean that are full of sex and violence, but there are a few (even if are not really "explixit" scene).. It's not the Disney "Family Friendly" version of Star Wars it's an HBO version of Star Wars (if you know what I mean ). I don't know how strict this rule is or if I can bend it a little, I would like to have more information about it.

However I am publishing the Prologue to my version of Solo: A Star Wars Story which does not contain sex or violence, so it should be fine.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hi The Gray Jedi. First, I have moved your question to a more appropriate thread. We like to keep Fanfic resource tidy so people can find threads easily so please avoid making a new thread in resource unless you have permission. You can ask any question here or in the Fanfic Writers Desk or by private messaging (PMing) a mod (do this by clicking our username and clicking "start a conversation".

To answer your question, we are extremely strict about this rule. When you signed up for these boards, you would have agreed to the general Terms of Service. Keeping everything family-friendly is rule 1.

What this means for written fiction can be a bit confusing, so if you are unsure if a scene is appropriate or not, begin a private message with a mod (myself, @mavjade or @Mira_Jade ) and we can provide a ruling.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    jcgoble3 and Mira_Jade like this.
  23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  24. SanniaQ

SanniaQ Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2021
    Where would a crossover fic that's Star Wars and something else go, in the Star Wars fanfiction forum or the non-Star Wars fanfiction forum?

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Welcome. It would go in the Star Wars fanfiction forum.

SanniaQ likes this.