main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should Episode Numbering Continue For This New Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 15, 2019.

?

Should the new Saga have Episode numbers?

1. Yes, of course

29.2%
  2. No, you idiot

70.8%
  1. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    People really hate the opening crawls? That’s really a thing? Every Marvel movie starts with the comic pages flipping that’s their signature. Star Wars signature is the opening crawl. The Rogue One opening feels like a jump scare to me! I do understand why people don’t mind not having a crawl on the spin offs but whatever new trilogy or saga should keep the crawl.

Darth PJ likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I like the “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away” better than the crawl.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    First of all I'd like to have a new movie at all

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed-let's actually have a film on the slate first. At any rate, it now sounds like it'll be well over three years before we get one.

I originally voted no to having episode numbers. But if they start in a new era, with completely new characters/story, but a series-I would actually kind of enjoy if they portrayed it as the start of "a new saga." Maybe not the same amount of episodes, or even trilogy format, but having each one numbered and with an opening crawl could be interesting. Then we'd get to a point where Star Wars would have multiple "sagas," and that's how they'd be referred to: the Skywalker Saga, the...IDK...Sith Saga, the Old Republic Saga, etc.

I'm sure we're talking perhaps decades into the future before there's more than just two, but it could be an interesting way to keep SW going. And keeping that Episode and crawl format could help keep some familiarity between it all.

Lee_ likes this.
  5. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Give me Episode 13 next. Or give me an Old Republic film without a saga number.

Darkstrider likes this.
  6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think that because Episodes I-IX are now badged as 'The Skywalker Saga' it maybe points to Lucasfilm wanting to keep the numbering system and opening crawl? It would allow for specific trilogies to be viewed as books, and would enable them to do 'The High/Old Republic: Episode I' etc. where there would be an internal logic to the numbering system.

Lee_ likes this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed. If they went to a new era entirely, they could start numbering them again. I don't for a moment think they are going to go with one-off movies for any drastic length of time. SW is just not put together for that; it's more egalitarian than Marvel, and less likely to have a featured star that dominates the movies long term. They will have a saga that is a collective group of heroes and villains, not one Incredible Hulk or Ironman dominating the show.

The opening of SW is a signature that thrilled us from the start. Being 7 and watching ANH, I'll never forget that opening, probably the greatest in movie history, leading up to Vader/Leia conversation. The whole thing with the crawl, and the ship going by the looked a mile long; we were so astonished by that in those days; really amazing craft for the 70's especially.

I'm less certain about the numbering, although inclined to think it will be back; the crawl is virtually assured; too much of a SW signature to go away, but it won't be back until there is a new saga, which may not come right away once they start releasing new movies.

Maybe since it could be 25,000 years before ANH they will add a "long."

"A long, long time ago, in a galaxy...."

Darth PJ and DARTH_BELO like this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ...and eventually "A long, long, long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away." :p

Lee_ likes this.
  9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    KOTOR Episodes -2 , -1 and 0 .......

10. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    ANH was not ANH (episode 4) until 1981. 'I am your father' created the saga.
    So episode X could be called just Star Wars, or just a title. (FG Leia is wearing her 'hope' dress, as if she had put a piece of info inside someone. 'My father will know how to retrieve it')

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, but that is because they didn't know it was going to be a saga, or that it would even do well. We all called it Star Wars when there weren't any other SW movies, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. If you just said "Star Wars" now, no one would know what you were talking about. I think they would want a distinctive title.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    You just know the teaser poster will be a black starfield with a big yellow X and nothing else.
    No way a marketing department could resist that.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Clearly they should go with Star Wars: The Next Generation.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Iron_lord and GregMcP like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Space Battles Part 1: The Star Wars Chronicles

Bor Mullet and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No, please not. No Jean Luc Plagueis please.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Battlestar Wars

GregMcP likes this.
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think they should continue with the numbering because I cannot count past 9.

GregMcP likes this.