main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time Period/Era For New Film Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2018.

?

When do you think the new films will be set

1. Before ANH and after ROTS - Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Before TPM- Weiss/Benioff

100 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. After ROTJ and before TFA- Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. After IX- Weiss/Benioff

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Before ANH and after ROTS- RJ trilogy

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Before TPM- RJ Trilogy

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. After ROTJ and before TFA- RJ trilogy

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. After IX- RJ trilogy

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    When lightsabers looked like caveman clubs.

[​IMG]

2. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    I'd love to see a trilogy set about 400 years after the events of TRoS. It would be interesting to see what the political landscape and technology of the GFFA is like so many centuries after what we've come to know. Also to know how far into the future the legacy of our heroes & villains still played a part going forward.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I wouldn't mind if historical lightsaber were kind of unreliable, and prone to flickering, surging, or overheating from prolonged use. Just something to show a modicum of technological advancement in a galaxy where space-faring capabilities seem to predate recorded history.

Alien Vanguard likes this.
  4. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    IMO a movie about the first Jedi makes a lot of sense. It's an original idea, but it very much informs and adds to the SW saga as a whole. A trilogy that starts with the first person who discovers the force, becomes the first Jedi, shows the formation of the first Jedi Order, which ultimately results in the first Sith lord. That's a story worth telling, and it belongs somewhere in the SW mythology.

Sarge and DarthKegs like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I tremble at the what the current Idea People would concoct for a "first Jedi" story. His name was probably Jed I-something and was a backwater type who built his family a home on their moisture farm and so he lived in the Lars Homestead eons before Luke. Jed will build the first lightsaber from parts he picked up at Bob Tosche's Swap Meet.

Darth PJ, guittarjedi, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  6. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    At the end of the second film in the trilogy, you'll find out that Jed-I's full name is "Jedi-I Sith." It'll be a huge dramatic beat, overlayed with the Imperial March played with kazoos.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

8. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im curious to see where they go with lightsabers for the next film. One option is no significant changes from what we are used to.

Traditional Lightsabers showed up in Momins flashbacks, set sometime in the Old Republic era. His own lightsabers are regular style, though has a saber like handguard.

[​IMG]

Jedi showed up in the flashback as well, and they were carrying lightsabers like the PT era.

In a malachor flashback/vision in Darth Maul's comic, the traditional saber shows up alongside crossguards.

[​IMG]

Then in the age of the Galactic Republic, we have in fashion during the High Republic lightsabers that are traditional but have metal crossguards, while still having sabers with PT style hilts.

[​IMG]

So at least the traditional saber was invented late old Republic. So if we have films about Darth Bane/Fall of Old Republic, normal sabers should show up. But there must have been a time they didn't exist. Perhaps the crossguard (kylo ren style) saber existed prior but when the traditional saber came to be, it still took some time for crossguards to be phased out. Or crossguards were just a variation that came about during an age where traditional sabers already existed.

The earliest saber we have in canon is the protosaber.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Proto-saber

[​IMG]

I would prefer a film when this lightsaber is the most current tech, or bring back the Legends protosaber (as a saber more advanced then the above pic, but still older then regular sabers).

[​IMG]

Both types of ancient sabers would force duels to have some difference then the saga ones. Users have to fight with other tactics/style then later saber owners. Sabers like these would show how ancient this world is. It would also add a key visual difference to help separate said era from other eras.

Lucasfilm could also invent another type of ancient lightsaber we haven't seen yet.

Darth PJ likes this.
  9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Get with the times, man! We're all about analog, lo-fi lightsabers now! What's out is in!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Star Wars: The Last Hipster

christophero30 likes this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I do agree it would be nice to see some more primitive technology in the assumed Old Republic films we may see. But IMO the lightsabers should be left out of that. I'd prefer the lightsabers shine thru as a marvel to the galaxy at large, who are still working to develop in different areas.

Sarge and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    :) Kidding aside, I just don't want lightsabers to turn into the equivalent of this moment.
    [​IMG]

Lucas almost did this in TPM, with Obi-Wan's lightsaber shorting out because he got it wet. There was going to be a running gag about Obi-Wan not taking care of his lightsaber, and Qui-Gon chastising him. Thankfully, Lucas cut it, though he still did a variation of it in AOTC.

To me, lightsabers are every Jedi's personal Excalibur. Mythic, and revered. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. I don't want them turned into a gag.
    Exactly this.

Sarge and DARTH_BELO like this.
  13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
  14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Would be good if we go anywhere as long as we get new stuff.

15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It also means they're taking Obi-Wan's claim that the Jedi have been around "for a thousand generations" at face value. I think that also indicates the earliest we'll ever go back to the series is the founding of the Jedi, but we won't go, say, a hundred years prior to that point. Ergo, the Jedi will remain the lifeblood of Star Wars going forward, whether they're the focus of any particular piece of media or not.

Or I'm just reading way too much into an interview answer.

16. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    COPIED from the article: https://www.gamesradar.com/au/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-future-lucasfilm-george-lucas/

LucasFilm, who produce the Star Wars movies, is using this time to reevaluate what works and what does not, with Kathleen Kennedy carefully planning the series' next steps. Speaking with the Wrap, she said: "[The] stories have been told within this universe over the last 40-odd years, and there’s now the realization that this is a mythology that actually spans about 25,000 years, when you really start to look at all the different stories that have been told, whether it’s in books and games."

She continued: "We just need the time to step back and really absorb what George [Lucas] has created, and then start to think about where things might go. That’s what we’ve been doing, and we’ve been having a great deal of fun doing it, and meeting with lots of different filmmakers and talent. "

I have seen this quote surface recently in several articles. The articles quote her as referring to a mythology that spans 25,000 years. But we need video of Kathleen Kennedy saying these words.

Quoting her in written text is not enough. Too many articles have jumped on this quote. Or there are multiple instances where she is saying something similar.

If Kathleen Kennedy does embrace the 25,000 history, that is a good sign. That means when we may see 25,000 years of galactic history in films, we will likely see a back history that goes back further into the shrouded mists of time.

The biggest thing for me is Kathleen Kennedy respecting lines like "For Over A Thousand Generations..." in A New Hope. That means we can eventually move beyond the debate of how many years one generation consists of. Some people still insist one generation equals one year or ten years. The Expanded Universe has provided a preview of how one generation is going to be calculated in Star Wars (one generation = 25 years).

And perhaps the second biggest thing might be George Lucas, himself, respecting his own lines and original backstories that he directed in his original SW film.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    chris hayes likes this.
  17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Why on Earth do we need a video of her saying it? It's a direct quote taken from an interview with The Wrap. Those are the exact words that came out of her mouth. It's being paraphrased or assumed by the author or other sites, it's taken directly from the interview.

18. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I would like to see a video of Kathleen Kennedy saying those very words that the articles quote her on. The reason I would like to see a video of her saying those words is because of the problem of second-hand news. One article can quote another article to create news stories. The more quotes get recycled in news stories, the risk of altering the meaning of her original statement increases.

To sum it up, A video of her saying these words solves the problem of second-hand news. It's a hearsay problem. The written text quoting her is hearsay. Unless we see Kennedy speaking these words in a video, the words will remain hearsay.

19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    There's... no secondhand news going on here with that quote. Other sites are running with the story, yes, but it is a direct quote taken from The Wrap's interview. In the interview, which The Wrap both conducted and published itself, and which other sites have since cited, she says those exact words. That is how interviews work. Her words are not being changed by the other websites publishing the story, they are quoting The Wrap's published interview, which transcribed her words verbatim. It is not hearsay, those were her exact words, as published by The Wrap, which conducted the interview with her and then published said interview.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    What? She was quoted directly by a reputable news outlet who conducted an interview with her (directly), and Kennedy didn’t dispute the quote, so it’s not hearsay. It’s the equivalent of an on-camera quote. You’ve got the meaning of hearsay completely wrong.

21. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm using the legal definition of hearsay, regardless of the accuracy of quotes.

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    No, as this quote from Kennedy can be easily substantiated. Unless she disputes the veracity of the quote, the most reasonable assumption is that she said those exact words.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    So you are implying the quoted text is not hearsay? It sounds like you are basing whether it is hearsay on the accuracy of the quote rather than the person publishing the quote?

Even if ten articles print the exact quote in text, I cannot assume Kathleen Kennedy spoke those same words unless I see her speak the words in a video. And with video, there is still a problem with editing. A video of her speaking those same words can still be hearsay.

Kathleen Kennedy could change her mind and say she didn't speak those words. She could say a journalist trapped her in that moment and that upon further reflection, those words don't represent her current direction for Lucasfilm. Kathleen Kennedy's acknowledgement of a 25,000 history for the SW saga is a big deal. But will these stories fade from our attention or will this direction persist? Only time will tell.

Unfortunately, with the rumors of trilogies these days, we can't assume a quote is totally accurate even if it's published in text across several news articles. There are also too many people like Mike 0 and Mr. Doom who are out there making You Tube videos based on gossip.

24. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    That is just... not at all what hearsay is, legally or colloquially. The quote doesn't need to be accurate for her to have said it. They could later decide that the Jedi and the history of Star Wars have only existed for 5,000 years, that doesn't mean she didn't say what she said. Let's say I gave an interview, and in it I said my favorite food was pizza; this is quoted directly. Ten years later, in another interview I say my favorite food is sushi; this is also quoted directly. The quote from the former interview would still be accurate, insofar as I literally said both contradictory statements directly, and have simply changed my mind on a subject in the intervening span of time.

And we're not talking about the ten other articles and eighty billion YouTube videos or however many there are, we're discussing the validity and veracity of the one originating source, which was an interview with Kennedy herself. The burden of proof you're insisting on would assume that, from this point forward, we no longer treat direct quotes from interviews as actually being the words of the people who spoke them, and we furthermore cannot trust video footage of them saying those words. That is patently ridiculous, and an immense overreaction to the blatantly false information peddled by people like Mike 0 and DoomRooster.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Dude...
    [​IMG]