main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Female SW collectors

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Thena, Nov 16, 2003.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Thank you! BTW I got an announcement in my email today that Robert Tonner is getting back to making Fashion dolls and he'll be working w/ Sideshow!

No idea what sorts of lines that he'll be doing, but you can sign up here to find out what's up when they reveal the new lines.

Tonner made the dolls used as bases for my 2 custom Padme dolls and my Leia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    My Loungefly Child backpack arrived today and I just ended up doing a pre-order for the Clone Wars Anakin Hot Toys figure.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  3. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    So there are some preview pics of Robert Tonner's new Atomic Misfit collection up at Sideshow you can peek at here.

I'll have to see what's up w/ the dolls. They kind of look like they have wigs. The basic doll DOES have wigs. If that's the case they're not great for customizing. The bangs on all of them also isn't great for turning into SW girls.

The first dolls might have wigs because Sideshow doesn't have a way to do rooted hair dolls yet.

That being said, if they do a version of this doll w/ hair that can be rerooted, I think the new face sculpt will work for turning her into a Rey doll (which I've been thinking recently that I'd love a ROS version of her.) I don't think the sculpt is right for Leia or Padme.

Here's an interview w/ Tonner from Sideshow.

My takeaway is I know that Tonner took a break from dollmaking because the manufacturing has been difficult. If Sideshow can fully add a new plant/process for making dolls - the possibilities for this are ENDLESS. Sideshow themselves have license for Star Wars - maybe they can partner w/ Robert Tonner to make the SW dolls that we want.

OK I just started perusing one of their floor videos and saw these dolls - left upper behind the Jem dolls. I think they're about 12" size, I don't know what they are the camera blasts past them. I'm going to try to find out more and get back to you all

[​IMG]

I feel a write-in campaign is needed.

I also believe that Mattel needs to try to go after making SW dolls. Hasbro failed spectacularly twice at that. Give that license to a company that knows how to build girl-play empires.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  4. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    @PadmeLeiaJaina !! Do you have enough free time to write a letter and we can all add our names, and promote it and get others to sign? I can do it if you can't, but my first choice for writing the letter is you, then of course we can all write our own letters as well.

I am definitely up for a new campaign!!!

:amidala::padme::leia::ahsoka: I can't find a Rey emoji?

HEAR! HEAR! TO THE GIRLS!!

HEAR TO THE GUYS THAT SUPPORT FEMALE DOLLS BEING MADE AS WELL!!

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I loved the Tonner interview!

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I just wanted to share how I have been passing time the last few days, I did get one sheet stuck in the printer, that was scary! I am looking for more images to add to it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Findswoman likes this.
  7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Ok this...is...EXCITING! Mattel has announced they're doing a Black Widow Barbie for Amazon.

There's also an 11.5" Widow doll coming to ShopDisney.

Marvel = Disney.

Disney = Star Wars.

Crossing fingers and toes that ACTUAL screen accurate Barbies for SW are on the way from Mattel!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'm hoping things are looking up for us. Marvel has had some girl merchandise the last few years from Hasbro after the FOD line tanked for SW. I'm really hoping someone will decide that it's a worthwhile cause to market to females. We've never had anyone truly work out a huge marketing plan for girls. I really, REALLY wish that Mattel can get this. We've learned here that they don't have distribution issues (note: you can always find their plush Child toys everywhere) and they know they know how to build girl friendly toy empires. They built the Disney princess line (that Hasbro stole from them) from the ground up.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  10. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm not normally a Barbie person but that 11.5" Widow looks pretty awesome. The costume is more detailed than the Amazon version.

I liked FOD but their faces just weren't my cup of tea. I enjoy dolls and figures who resemble the actor/actress as much as possible. Hot Toys really does a great job. Even after all this time it's as if the toy companies and marketers don't realize how many women enjoy Star Wars so they have no idea how to tap into something that will resonate.

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The problem is that Hasbro doesn't really have a full female toys development division. They have the Disney dolls - they were a GIFT when they got the license taken away from, Mattel. They've tried twice to market to girls and both times flopped thanks to production timing. No one there has ever sat down and mapped out a strategy for marketing Star Wars toys for girls. NO ONE.

I've been a fan since practically day one - day one when it came to collecting. (I was in Australia when the movie came out and returned home to the madness and of course caught the fever.)

I've spent my whole life collecting merchandise that's made for boys. There were only a very few times we've had toys really focused for females (Portrait series, Queen doll series, TPM FAO exclusives, FOD.) That's pretty much been it. The cheaper dolls are all affordable. The FAO exclusives - unless I win the lottery I'll never get those.

I want Mattel to get the license for dolls.

They're already proving that they can fulfill w/ merchandise needs w/ their adorable Child that they can fulfill market needs and quickly deliver merchandise - which Hasbro has always had a problem with.

I understand the SW fashion Barbies - they're not exact replicas of the SW characters so Mattel isn't infringing on Hasbro's rights to the characters. I just wish that Hasbro would realize that dolls for the franchise aren't their specialty and allow someone else to use it. Mattel could do wonders w/ making toys for girls. They could do a very young girl, line, a playline, and a collector's line. I hate that thanks to no one in the toy industry really seeking and knowing that there are female fans who collect - we don't have a broad selection of dolls available to us. All that you have to do is think of Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker - someone can literally fill an entire house w/ merchandise based on either of those characters. You can't do that w/ any of the female characters. We've had to wait nearly 40 years...40 YEARS...to get our first Bespin pantsuit Leia in 12" form and just under that to get an Endor Celebration dress doll. The Hot Toys Bespin Leia is also expensive and could easily be out of the range of many collectors. There are still Padme costumes that haven't been mass produced in any form - many from AOTC and ROTS - with only a handful of dolls ever made of her. She's got a wardrobe that's 8 times larger than Leia!

If anyone is interested - I have my fanboard link in my signature . I haven't done anything on those boards in eons. I'll start re-promoting them, let's use that platform to work on setting up a fan petition to Lucasfilm and Disney. It needs to start there. If they can get word to Hasbro and have Hasbro do something - I'm fine w/ that. But we'll really only get heard if it's from the top. Long, long ago I helmed a fan petition to DC Comics regarding Smalliville and it resulted in getting the show's producers fired and the series to finally move towards Clark becoming Superman and not wasting away on his farm doing nothing.

I need a new crusade. This is one that I passionately believe in. My wallet is less enthusiastic...but too bad!

We can do this. Everyone is welcome to help.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    wobbits, cathiecat and Princess_Tina like this.
  12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am spending today thinking on this, and researching.

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    If your a pin collector shopdisney has the ladies of Star Wars pins that were supposed to be park exclusives back in the spring. There is an Amidala, a Leia, Ashoka, and Rey. They are $20 a piece. I just bought all my Christmas presents so I could only afford one of them. Of course I got Queen Amidala! I really want Leia bad though!!

they are from Karen Hellion’s artwork designs.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    My Ahsoka statue from Gentle Giant arrived today. I've been mapping out what I'm going to do for my displays and I think I might need just an Ahsoka shelf. I don't have tons of stuff for her but I've got enough that I can fill up a small shelf. I have the Hot Toys version of her on pre-order.

I happened to be bouncing around the internet today and saw that the FOD Ahsoka is now going for tons of moola. I think that she's one of the few from that line that I didn't pick up a spare of. I'm expecting after her stint on Mando that we'll be seeing even more Ahsoka merchandise coming.

cathiecat likes this.
  15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I expect you are correct!

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Now that there's an Ahsoka TV show coming - there will be tons of merchandise on her in the future! I'm looking forward to more Lando stuff too. I have a feeling Qi'Ra will be showing up on the series so maybe we'll get more merchandise of her also.

I rearranged my SW room closet to put more junk in there as I continue to clear out stuff in my SW room so that I can work on expanding my shelving. I found that indeed I did not buy a second FOD Ahsoka, but I did get a second Ben/Rey 2 pack that I'd forgotten that I'd picked up. I have a second Padme also w/ a crushed box, so she'll get pulled out and likely put on an Endor Leia body and redressed into one of her iconic outfits.

I'm deciding what I'm going to do for reorganizing my shelves. I rather like them being chaotically mixed - Prequel shelves next to OT, CW/Sequels, but I think that I'm going to do some sorting - new Disney Era stuff will get put together on 2 shelves. Everything else can stay mixed up. I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that my room will be fully redone by the new year. Grogu needs his own shelves!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  17. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm working on getting started on shelves. Most of my stuff is still in rubber bins but now that I have office space at home I need to fill it. It's a small room so I think I am going to have to go for the taller, skinner shelves in order to make the most of the space. Grogu will probably get his own section and the rest will just be mixed.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Just make sure you get something that can handle his weight. Super thin shelves might not be able to support Grogu. IKEA Billy bookshelves have the middle shelf is the big structure for the whole bookshelf. It can hold a LOT of weight.

The arch that's in this photo is all polystone from Sideshow - it's never fallen.

[​IMG]

Target has some wire open shelves that are impressive also. They hold like 300lbs on each shelf. I use those for my craft supplies. I put heavy beads and mountains of paper on the shelves and they've never collapsed either.

Jedi Knight Fett and wobbits like this.
  19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I haven't noticed anyone post this, have y'all already seen this

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    OMG thank you! I hadn't seen that! Ordered her!

Jedi Knight Fett and cathiecat like this.
  21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Got my Amidala Tiki before Christmas - she made a festive table display for the holiday.

Today I went on Etsy and splurged on a bunch of pins. I've decided that until my SW room is fully redone I'm going to stick to buying pins only to satisfy my SW cravings.

I ordered several from a very talented lady over in the UK (warning she has a lot of Kylo/Hux art and pieces in her store). I got:

The horizontal long Ben Profile Pin - B quality
    Rey and Sticker & Ben and Sticker B quality
    Anakin and Padme with sticker
    Padme in pilot uniform

From other sellers

Rey Scavenger Jakku

And then some Disney pins that were on sale. Qi'Ra Han Solo ESB Luke and 4 Vinylmation pins

I've got a boatload bookmarked for later purchases :p

Oh I got these a while back - they're adorbs. (Sold separately)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Those are great!! Etsy has some new stuff, I hadn't looked at them in over a month. May have to order some stuff.

I haven't bought anything in a few weeks. However, for Christmas a friend of mine made me a painting of an anime style Queen Amidala portrait in her Theed Gown. It was a total surprise and I am very very happy and pleased to get it. You know how much I like the things of Queen Amidala Padme that no one but me has.

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    That's awesome! I love handmade art. Whenever Hurricane Sandy hit a Star Wars artist lost his whole house and was asking for donations. If you donated he would eventually send you a drawing of characters of your choice. I sent him like $50 and like a year later got a lovely black and white ink drawing of Anakin/Padme from their wedding. I need to get that framed.

I'm working to get my craft room reorganized (again.) I closed my ebay store and am working to purge a lot of inventory out of there. When I do that I want to start drawing again. I think that I'd like to try to stylize and come up w/ my own little Star Wars drawings that I can convert into pins to sell. We'll see how that goes.

I still have to get my SW room fully reorganized also.

Star Wars Celebration's site is shutting down after today - I went in and snagged a few pins. I would've loved to have gotten a few more of the 3 packs but you know...money.

So I got these:

Mystery Pack - 2 pins, could include chase pins. My luck will be that I'll get Darth Maul who I really don't need. I'd like Jannah, Luke, or Wicket

https://www.screencast.com/t/ScIQJ2IDXw

Leia Lando Lobot

https://www.screencast.com/t/L3OpjgKeRmzP

Funko Han/Leia

https://www.screencast.com/t/iLhrCuAVv

ANH Leia

https://www.screencast.com/t/O8Sk4f74pai2

ROS Poe

https://www.screencast.com/t/VXzK6sj5EZW

ROS Finn

https://www.screencast.com/t/eBmuDzMq

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  24. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I really like those!

wish I had known about that artist. That was devastating for him. I am happy you got that though. I hope he is doing well again now.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Me too. I'll have to unearth it and scan it at some point, it's really a lovely piece.

Goal for 2021 is to get my room in order. Then I'm going to work on really giving everything a good look over and work to cull things some. I have a LOT of stuff that I've picked up over the years at thrift stores or on clearance racks that I bought because hey "It's Star Wars!" I don't need everything. I don't need everything that's of every character. I just want the shelves that I do display to look great.

My sister bought a sewing machine - I'm thinking that I'd like to get some SW fabric and take a bunch of my SW t-shirts and make a couple of quilts with them. I don't wear them all (got sooo many in my Smuggler's boxes that I'll never wear) so they'd be good fodder for that.

I'm also slowing down on just buying mass produced stuff - fewer Pops, fewer random toys. I'm trying at this point to focus on mostly Hot Toys/Sideshow and Gentle Giant stuff with a few Black Series figures thrown in.

Although I'll be opening up more shelves for displaying - my space won't be unlimited. Meaning - I'll have 5 new bookshelves and I won't have a problem filling all of them. I also have stuff in storage that will need room when it all comes out. When things come out of storage - other than the few vintage pieces that I have, most of my ships might go. I don't have room for them to display them and that's not my focus. I'll keep my POTF Falcon though.

I'd like to find a toy show that I can sell stuff at....once the world opens up again.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    cathiecat likes this.