main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Be Excellent to Each Other: Bill & Ted (Face the Music)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 20, 2019.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Just FYI, Brigitte Lundy-Paine uses they/them as pronouns. I don't think this is common knowledge, as not even Kevin Smith knew until they mentioned it on the SDCC Online panel (and he was moderating it from studio info!)... but yes, agree. They and Samara Weaving are most triumphant...

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Most duly noted.

BigAl6ft6, Sadie Erso and dp4m like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It mixes concepts from the first two films. It's good, light, goofy fun. But don't expect the deeper story and level of threat of Bogus Journey or to wonder how it's going to turn out as much as Excellent Adventure.

(Not that EA had a great amount of suspense, but with Face the Music you kinda know everything is going to work out and go, more or less, according to plan)

Sadie Erso and Princess_Tina like this.
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Pretty reasonable review by RLM. Also, Bill & Ted 3 is now officially certified fresh on RT with an 80% score:

[​IMG]

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    2020 really needed this movie and it didn’t disappoint at all! I freaking loved it! I need to watch it again to remember all the great lines it had.

Bill’s counter-intuitive line is definitely my favorite though. I was dying! [face_rofl]

This might just be my favorite movie of the year so far. It’s just so fun to watch!

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It really was an excellent, non-heinous follow up.
    Loved basically everything about the movie, from the daughters (who are the high point of the movie IMO), Bill and Ted seeing the older versions of themselves and trying to steal the song from them, (I loved how the Princesses actually got something to do!) and the future stuff was decent as well. I especially loved the new robot who's incredibly anxious and unsure of himself, that's a very funny gag to have for a robot assassin character. The daughters bringing together a band who are all kind of fans of each other throughout time was endlessly fun. I really hope they get a spinoff.

This movie is also incredible for its runtime. It gets in, does its thing, and gets out. I love the way they resolved the entire arc of these movies, very very effective (and affecting) moment to have the whole world playing the song together.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  7. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    Guess what?!! My family went to our local theatre and watched the movie!!! I LOVED IT!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    love this movie too, it really does feel like an antidote to 2020's 2020-ness, especially the closing minutes. Also I appreciate the brevity of the ending as well, kinda like Star Wars A New Hope wherein things wrap up almost immediately after the climax. Reeves and Winter are insanely good returning to their roles again. Anyway, if you have to chose between time travel movies of Tenet or Bill and Ted Face the Music, definitely go with Bill and Ted.

the mega happy ending really doesn't need to tease another installment of Bill and Ted's journey, which is why it's kinda great. while the daughters being the ones who come up with the song that saves all of reality may bend the Bill and Ted mythos it doesn't break it, also notice that reality starts to reassert itself at the climax of the song right when Bill and Ted play their guitar solos so technically yes they were the chosen ones who saved the world.

I guess all of the stuff in the newspapers at the climax of Bogus Journey still happened, just people forgot and didn't care. Bill and Ted has had bigger dopey plot things.

9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Watched this. Liked it. I’m not even a casual fan—I’ve only seen the first movie once a long time ago and never saw the second.

The robot was my favorite part. “I lasered your daughters.” “You lasered our daughters!?”

10. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    I've never liked the second one but you should watch the second one since the 3rd movie actually ties in it which is kind of crazy...

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    So I been giving Bill & Ted 3 more time to sit with me before I try to rate all the movies. This is what I come with:

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: Just a complete classic of a film, from start to finish. The movie is now over thirty years old and still love it just as much as I did when I was 11 years old. Grade: 4 Stars
    Bill & Ted Bogus Journey: To me it truly is the tale of two movies. First half? Very blah. Not horrible but nothing great. Just average. But the second half? Classic! From the moment they challenged death to the end credits, it's pure joy. First Half: 2 Stars. Second Half: 5 Stars LOL! Total: 3.5 stars
    Bill & Ted Face The Music: Just a fun, highly entertaining and very solid movie but is not the classic that the first one is nor does it have the pure joy IMHO of the second half of Bogus Journey. It is kinda like a 3-wood up in the middle to use a golf term. Nothing too amazing but obviously very solid. Grade: 3 Stars.

So my ranking is in order of the films 1-2-3 but no film IMHO gets under three stars out of four. Crazy as it sounds I think overall it is one of the best trilogies ever made. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Sadie Erso likes this.
  12. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    I agree... kind of...
    Bogus Journey was SOO strange, it didn't make sense to me. The first one might have been the best-ish. Face the Music was the one that actually made sense to me.
    And I loved Thea and Billie.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    See that is why I love Bogus Journey to me so much since it was so strange and so much different then the first one. It was really a dark comedy more then a goofy teenage romp. I mean the stuff between them and death still to this day crack me up. I mean watching them play Death in a game of electric football (which was already old for that time but obviously was a classic) and seeing Death lose it is he smashes the board is absolutely genius along with that entire scene:

Again love all that including the stuff with Station
    which btw I am still bummed the Martian was not in it!

Edit: I should add though this does not make me hate Bill and Ted 3 or anything like that. And yes I love the daughters too
    as I love how not only are they little Bill and Teds but also how they love their dads. It could been easy for them to simply be embarrassed by them as that is the usual teenage dynamic in movies but instead they went the opposite as not only love their dads but they think they are cool. :)

14. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    Martian? I don't remember that.
    1st: 5 times
    2nd: 1 time
    3: 1 time

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I always assume Station was from Mars though they never technically say he is a Martian, just the smartest person in the universe. That was I kinda hoping Bill & Ted 3 was about them playing on Mars (as it was ended in Bogus Journey) as they go to Mars to play there and are the ones that help humans make first contact with aliens that look are Station's people. I mean how funny it would been that the first people to make contacts with aliens are Bill & Ted who they throw a most triumphant concert for. ;)

Sadie Erso likes this.
  16. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    I can't believe I don't remember him....

darthcaedus1138 and Luke02 like this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Loved it! Loved their daughters, especially.

Tiny observation: I had to google to verify that my eyes didn’t deceive me, and they didn’t: that is indeed Weird Al making an appearance in the ending montage.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I think they asked for specific fan submissions of air guitaring... think Guillermo from Jimmy Kimmel was in there as well...

19. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    They (Bill and Ted) call them Martians in Bogus Journey but I couldn't tell if that was meant to mean they are Martians or Bill and Ted just see aliens and think Martians lol

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think they're literal Martians, just aliens. I'd have to dig up my copy of the novelization to see if it elaborates on it, as it had all the awesome deleted/lost scenes from the climax (like the return of the Fears and the extended, multiple-resurrection finale) and I'm pretty sure I remember it going into more detail about Station.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  21. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Station!

BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah @The2ndQuest I think you are correct that Station was not a Martian, just an alien but as @darthcaedus1138 points out, Bill and Ted refer to Station as a Martian since well to Bill & Ted, all aliens are Martians kinda like they assume the smartest scientist in the universe would be human:

[​IMG]

I love that whole scene with God btw including the end where Death had to explain why he brought them to see God. "Sorry, they melvin me!"

[​IMG]

23. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    Bogus Journey was quite odd. and strange, and crazy. and impossible. and insane.

Luke02 likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It really is. As much as I thoroughly enjoy the original (and prefer the version of the future shown there), Bogus Journey really is one of those sequels that is better than the original- and is difficult to compare it to anything else. A real shame about the lost footage, though. A director's cut would have been most triumphant.

Sadie Erso and Count Yubnub like this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't think I've seen B&T since the 90's , it doesn't seem to be on tv these days.

Sadie Erso likes this.