main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Doctor Who: "The Tomb of the Cybermen".

This was my first story arc with the 2nd Doctor and it was enjoyable to watch. Amazing how different and similar the show was in 1967 compared to new Who.

The influence of ancient Egypt and Cybernetics was interesting in this arc and the cast was good.
    Toberman is my fave character from this arc.

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "Command Decision", a 1st season episode of "Dad's Army". This is the first time I've seen early episodes of the series. At this point, the show was still in b&w, and they didn't have uniforms or rifles, yet. Still very funny, though.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Ejiputo-funbo no Nazo (Zenpen) Kodai Kara no Chosenjo (2004) – Yumi Kamakura, Naohito Takahashi

So, I think IMDB screwed up on this one as it gives both episodes of this two parter the exact same title, but, you know, there’s nothing so wrong I can’t be anal about it, so I’m keeping the title as IMDB lists it. Regardless of that housekeeping, I was curious to see how this Japanese adaptation of Christie’s story would deal with one very particular element. There’s a clue here that is one of Christie’s absolute best in my opinion. She pretty well gives the entire game away in one line of dialogue, but she trusts that the reader will misinterpret it and damned if the reader doesn’t do just that. At least, I did. It revolves around an English idiom, however, so I wondered if this show would find a way to work it in. Well, they didn’t, which is too bad because it’s my favorite thing about this story. But Poirot in Egypt and a shadowy figure with the head of a Jackal and mysterious curses . . . this story has enough going for it that it all still comes to a nicely entertaining head. This is the best, I would say, of the short story adaptations so far. 3 stars.

tl;dr – Poirot in Egypt, a jackal-headed figure lurking in the shadows, a mysterious curse; a couple of things get lost in translation, but this is still lots of fun and high energy. 3 stars.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Makijaku Satsujin Jiken (2004) – Masakazu Amiya, Naohito Takahashi

This episode, an adaptation of The Tape Measure Murder, a story I wasn’t really familiar with, finds Mabel taking a much needed rest back with her Aunt Marple in St. Mary Mead. I mean, she did just help track down a serial killer, survive a machine gun battle on the English Channel and face down an Egyptian curse. But even in quiet St. Mary Mead, there’s been a tragic murder and Ms. Marple is pretty sure the dead woman’s husband isn’t guilty. I liked the slower pace of this story after the adventure tone of the previous . . . jeez, eight episodes, I guess. It even spends a little time with the widower and how he and Ms. Marple bond over his gardening. It’s a solid episode, a nice breather after the sillier and more fast-paced episodes we’ve been getting for a while now. 3 stars.

tl;dr – a slower-paced, more character based episode is a nice breather; the best so far of the Marple episodes. 3 stars.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Kinkai Jiken (2004) – Katsutoshi Sasuki, Naohito Takahashi

Well, this is awful. In this episode, based on The Case of the Gold Ingots, Miss Marple tells Mabel a story about her father Raymond West and an incredibly boring “adventure” he had when he was a youngster. It’s like smugglers or something. It’s just . . . I’m not getting into it. This episode also features a scene with a “Fall Celebration” or something where the children of St. Mary Mead are engaged in a scavenger hunt where various food items have been hidden in a field. This leads to one of the greatest lines of dialogue ever when a kid reaches into a haystack, pulls out an ear of corn and shouts, “Corn in a place like this!” There’s a joke there somewhere, but this is a kid’s show. Really didn’t enjoy this one at all. 1 ½ stars.

tl;dr – incredibly dull story of Mabel’s father and an “adventure” he had as a youngster; profoundly unenjoyable. 1 ½ stars.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I’ve been watching High Score, a limited documentary series about the history of video and computer games. It’s really good so far, with an engaging narrator and compelling, sympathetic interviews.

I didn’t know Donkey Kong was a title character before Mario. I also didn’t know Kirby was based on the lawyer that saved Nintendo’s butt.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I watched that one a few days ago @Coruscant , mostly because a friend of mine is one of the interviewees.

Good doc.

Coruscant likes this.
  8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Omg, which one? Is it Becky Heinemann?

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Aoi Zeraniumu (2004) – Yo****aka Makino, Naohito Takahashi

Agatha Christie wrote a handful of supernatural stories during her career, mostly related to ghosts. And she was good at conjuring a creepy atmosphere. In this story, The Blue Geranium, she does something that I really love; she basically creates a great premise for a ghost story and then gives it a non-supernatural solution. In this story, a woman visits a fortune teller who tells her that she will die soon; a blue geranium will herald the day of her death! This story is mostly told in flashback to Miss Marple and I really liked all the flashback scenes which create something akin to a genuinely creepy atmosphere as the woman’s paranoia and fear grows. The episode even provides a nice red herring to match with the blue flower. The solution might be more obvious to viewers now than it would have been to readers back when this story was first published, but I still really, really liked this episode. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – mildly creepy story of a foretold death is a nice change of pace and has some actual atmosphere to it; extremely enjoyable. 3 ½ stars.

EDIT: Look at that. Auto-censor not prepared for Japanese names. Seems racist.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Cancel censor feature

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Episode 2 of Lovecraft Country.

That was a lot. A lot.
    As someone else somewhere said, that was an entire season of a show thrown at you in one episode.
    I thought I knew where the series was going to be set for the remaining episodes but... phew.

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Infinity Train Book 3.

The show continues to impress with each season. While I preferred Season 2's take on the very concept of 'side-characters' as a thing, Season 3 was slightly less ambitious to me. I still really enjoyed it though, particularly one utterly heartbreaking scene in Episode 6 (I won't spoil too much, but it's one of the most tender reflections on a death I've ever seen, brought me to tears).

I so love that after getting the show's main thesis down in Season 1, every successive season has pushed the formula more and more, taking to task the very fundamentals of the show and shining a light on how messed up the world presented really is for many involved.

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I've been watching a few episodes of The Facts of Life and recently watched the first few episodes with George Clooney. I didn't even remember he'd been in this way back in the early 80s! He looks so young it's almost like watching a teenager even, though he was already in his early 20s.
    The series holds up well for an 80s sitcom, but those mid 80s styles are even worse than I remembered.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    Re-watching through King of the Hill... In last season. Season 13 episode 7

15. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Happily Cobra Kai has come to Netflix. I guess given it's name it makes sense Johnny is the more compelling character, where Larruso is a supporting role. It's also an interesting take on modern bullying via social media.

Emperor Ferus and Master_Rebado like this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Derry Girls (2018, S1: E1 & E2)

This is a really funny show about some Northern Irish teenagers navigating life in the early 90s, from middle class family issues to Catholic school issues. The first ep does really well to establish the main five characters, as well as some colorful supporting characters. As an American it can sometimes be hard to follow exactly what everyone is saying due to some thick af accents, especially whenever characters get agitated, but it's not a huge issue since all the mains are very expressive, so you can always get a handle of what's going on at least by their body language. There's obviously some local humor, much surrounding their contempt for the fifth ranger of the group, one of the girls' male English cousins, who's forced to join them at their all-girls school due to fears that the people at the boys school would terrorize him because of his nationality. But he's portrayed as kind of wimpy and effeminate, so he's still essentially one of the girls as far as everyone is concerned.

The second ep is more of an "issue of the day" plot, with the girls butting heads with the owner of their favorite fast food restaurant. Plenty more laughs here, as the girls continue to establish their characterizations and we learn a bit more about their lives. She was in the fist episode, but here we get a little better look at the headmistress of the school, and I can tell she'll be a favorite, as she's just loaded with deadpan snark, made all the funnier because she's a nun.

So far both episodes have had one particularly standout hilarious moment, so I imagine the rest of the series will keep that up and provide some great absurdity.

Blobofat likes this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Endo Hausu kai Jiken (Sono Ichi) Pati no Yoru ni (2004) – Daiki Nishimura, Naohito Takahashi

This is episode one of a three part adaptation of a Poirot novel that I like a lot, Peril at End House. Mabel and Oliver are back with Hastings & Poirot after their vacation with Miss Marple. They’re now taking a vacation with Poirot. I mean, Mabel’s got the job anyone would want, I’ll tell you that. But then, after a chance encounter, Poirot begins to believe that someone wants glamorous young heiress Nick Buckley dead. Meanwhile, a daredevil pilot named Michael Seton has disappeared while attempting to break a world record in flying. What do these two things have to do with each other? Well, we’ll just have to wait and see. This episode does a good job at introducing all the characters and I particularly liked the artful way it wove in the Seton subplot. Like I said, this is a particularly fine novel and it looks like this series is well on its way to giving it a particularly fine adaptation. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – a particularly fine novel starts to get the anime treatment in this kick-off to a three part series; the show is doing a great job so far. 3 ½ stars.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Endo Hausu kai Jiken (Sono Ni) Himerareta Koi (2004) – Yumi Kamakura, Naohito Takahashi

Part two of this series’ adaptation of Peril at End House gets into the characters in a nice way and also deepens the mystery of how Michael Seton connects to the story of Nick Buckley. Oliver gets more than the usual amount of screen time here as he adorably forms a bond with the frightened Nick. I mean, look, it’s easy to make fun of show based on the work of Agatha Christie shoehorning in a cute duckling as a recurring character, but, guys, he is super-cute. I have perhaps been underselling the degree to which the show utilizes him for reaction shots. Like when the characters are interviewing a grieving relatives, we’ll cut to him looking sad; when someone is narrating an injustice, we’ll cut to him looking angry. Oliver really is a big reason I’m enjoying this show. I anticipated finding him saccharine, but in fact . . . WHY AM I STILL TALKING ABOUT OLIVER THE DUCK? Anyway, excellent episode. 4 stars.

tl;dr – middle episode of a three-parter is even better than the first at handling the plot and characters; expanded role for Oliver the duckling is a net positive. 4 stars.

20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Stupid ass South Park. I’m not a fan of this show but my sister has had the remote all day long on this single tv here.

I just want to be home with power and a ceiling and my damn couch ALONE in my den.

Going to be so long till this is able to happen again.

This cartoon is killing me though after 8 lonnnnng hours watching it.

21. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    The Umbrella Academy Season 2, Episode 4 "The Majestic 12"

This show is so damn good. I've been limiting myself to one episode per evening because I'm almost done and I wanna keep riding this wave.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Agatha Christie’s Great Detectives Poirot & Marple: Endo Hausu kai Jiken (Sono San) Kanpeki na Shoko (2004) – Joji Shimura, Naohito Takahashi

So, this series wraps up its three-part adaptation of Peril at End House with a great episode that’s high energy and handles the twist/revelation at the end very well. This is probably the all around best adaptation so far. It’s always hard to judge these things when, as I did with this story, you already know the solution, but I think they did a really good job not telegraphing the solution. It’s a pretty complicated story and the clues are there, but, if I hadn’t known already, I don’t think I would have figured it out. So good job. Once again, Oliver gets some great reaction shots. 4 stars.

tl;dr – series wraps up this three parter with style and energy; probably the best adaptation of the series so far. 4 stars.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    HBO put out the first episode of Raised By Wolves free. This is pretty damned good.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The wife and I just finished all five seasons of Superstore on Hulu. We highly recommend.

We're looking for a fun 22 minute comedy to watch next. We've done and enjoyed these already: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Modern Family, The Office, Schitt's Creek, The Goldbergs, The Good Place, Community, Park and Recreation.

Maybe Broad City ?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Bewitched "Follow That Witch Part 1 & 2": A private detective investigates Samantha Stephens and discovers that she's a witch and plans to blackmail her.