main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A "bridge" film between ROTJ & TFA would have been interesting....

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by QUIGONMIKE, Sep 7, 2020.

1. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Not sure how much discussion there has been specifically about a bridge film between EP6 and EP7 but I personally would have liked such a thing. A LOT changes and happens between films 6 & 7 and one of the issues I have with the sequels in general is how much happens off screen or we get nothing much about in the actual films. Just some exposition - and usually not enough. I know logistically it would have had some hurdles. With Carrie gone(RIP) now along with other issues it could never happen but here is what I would have liked to see:
    1. Show us what happened between Han and Leia for them to be apart n TFA. And the theft of the Falcon, of course. :)
    2. Show Luke's Jedi academy training, interactions with Ben & the eventual decline of the whole thing. That would help justify Luke's controversial behavior in the sequels. Oh and some Knights of Ren stuff might have been cool.
    3. Show some of the First Orders rise to power.
    4. Show some other resistance scenes involving build up, possible internal conflicts and perhaps a little "getting too comfortable" behavior that could have led to the First Order getting their chance again.
    5. *Maybe* throw in some idea that Palpatine could still be around?(Even though I still dislike the idea).
    6. Other stuff I'm not thinking of?
    Not sure if this would have worked or just caused ore fan-bickering but being a huge fan of Rogue One made me a believer in the idea of well-done bridge films. I thought perhaps the amount of time & everything that happened may have created a nice setup for an episode 6.5 or whatever. Or, its just a terrible idea. That could be. :D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    dolphin and Sadie Erso like this.
  2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Maybe they can still do this as an animated film or something?

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Moved to Future Films.

Sadie Erso and EHT like this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If anything it'll probably be less of a bridge "Film" and more a bridge "Series" spread throughout various projects such as Mandalorian and maybe a few other rumored things that have come out there.

5. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Makes no sense from a marketing standpoint. TFA was successful because it cashed in on the nolstalgia for the OT. Any series detailing the rise of the New Republic and Luke's Jedi Academy is pointless, because the Republic will be blown up by Starkiller base and Luke gives up and hides on Ahch-To.

Sadie Erso and antitoxicgamer like this.
  6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Ever since the release of TFA it's been pretty clear that the ST needed its own prequel, but the backstory burden has been placed on supplementary materials (books, comics, TV series) to fill the gaps. It remains fascinating that the inciting incident of the sequel trilogy was decided to be Rey's emergence, when in truth, the conflict began with the fall of Ben Solo and Luke's exile six years earlier.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Palp_Faction, Merrin, Jamtia1 and 3 others like this.
  7. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    Isnt it ironic that everyone moans the Sequel trilogy needs backstory, when the prequels had some of the so called 'filler backstory in TPM' and the main story of was really AOTC and ROTS.
    TPM essentially adds context the two films that follow.

8. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    basically you are describing a new set of prequels. I'm sure we will get that eventually through animated or live action series.

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Wonder how many people were like this with The OT ?

dolphin and Vicarious Fan like this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I bet we will get both animated and live action series to dvelve into post ROTJ-TFA.

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, with The Mandalorian, we're already getting live action, so we're halfway there ;)

Palp_Faction likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    With Mando season 2 expanding to the larger story.:)

13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Six words: Sebastian Stan as Young Luke Skywalker.

14. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes to all six words. I would prefer a animated series but he would be the perfect casting choice if they did something live action.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not sure how good of a fit that would be. Stan is almost 40, hardly a "young Luke". It's not like with Solo, where Han was younger than any other time he appeared on screen. Using Stan to play a Luke that is in between the young Mark Hamill Luke and the old Mark Hamill Luke would be quite a bit weirder.

16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    3 words. no thank you. :p

La Calavera and antitoxicgamer like this.
  17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The problem is (IMHO) that the sequels are so un-engaging, from a story/galactic events perspective, that there is very little to make a 'bridge' film between ROTJ and TFA thematically viable, let alone something that would appeal to audiences. This doesn't preclude the notion that there aren't stories to tell post ROTJ (The Mandalorian seems to be working out just fine), but I think Disney/Lucasfilm are going to steer clear of any obvious links to the sequels (in live action film and television), and instead, will link back to the OT and PT eras, even if set after ROTJ.

Very few I'd imagine. Because most audiences (and certainly fans) were heavily invested in the characters and situations of the OT, which resulted in them being genuinely interested in seeing 'origin' stories.... or 'prequels'. I really don't think that many people are interested in seeing the origin story of Snoke, Captain Phasma or Holdo etc... and we already have the origin stories of Luke, Leia, Han and Palpatine.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    2Cleva and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Ben Solo And Luke story easy.

19. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Nah. It would just be a show about how the heroes weren't really victory in the end of episode 6. Oh, and the show will be about how the heroes go backward in terms of character development to reach their sequel trilogy personality.

That isn't really an interesting serie.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think an animation that is rumored to be coming of Luke and Ben out on adventures and Luke teaching a new generation of jedi. I don't see Luke or Leia going backwards to their sequel trilogy personality. Han Solo might be the only one.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think there may be a cartoon re. Luke/Ben academy days at some point, but I just don't think the interest is there for Lucasfilm to invest in it... other than a low budget cartoon type thing.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah there's. like it is with a rebels sequel there's interest in backstory of Ben Solo and Luke Skywalker in the jedi days. And the days of low budget cartoon is over with disney plus. Bad batch will have clone wars season 7 quality and i think this show will get that too with big budget. Also Rebels was low budget and still a good show.

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Oh I’m sure they can make a quality cartoon on a low budget. I’m just stating that I don’t believe Lucasfilm will want to spend any money on any ST associated material, as the general interest isn’t there.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think there is in Luke and Ben and jedi schoool. Lucssfilm is interested in doing more Ben and Luke content.

25. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    There would have been a time before it's production when people would have been saying the same about The Clone Wars and ST associated material.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.