main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Global Climate Change

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, May 7, 2014.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thread merge

SW Saga Fan and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Should we change the thread title so it just reflects Climate Change discussion?

Juliet316, Lordban and SW Saga Fan like this.
  4. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Thanks!

5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Seconded. Climate change is a global issue.

That might end up failing to yield visible results. The brutal acceleration of the melting of permafrost results in the release of quite a lot of CO2 - the quantity contained in those soils is twice that of the entire atmosphere's content in CO2 pre-industrial era.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The lesson of the pandemic is that we have to reduce the economy by global pandemic levels to get a global pandemic-level environmental benefit. And it's still not enough. We need a permanent pandemic-level economy or a complete restructuring of the economy from top to bottom so that the physical flow of goods and the consumption of energy resembles what it might resemble during a global pandemic lockdown.

The climate change deniers can all stop pretending to deny climate change now. We've always known that human beings collectively lack the will for the global socio/politico/economic revolution required. And now that we've had a taste of what kind of change is necessary for even modest benefits, humans collectively want that kind of change even less.

7. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    This sums it up well:

Translation from the left to the right:

- "Hurry! We must build pipelines in order to restore the economy!"
    - Covid-19
    - Recession
    -Global Warming

[​IMG]

Rylo Ken, Lordban and Ghost like this.
  8. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Yep.

Right now, centennial temperature records are being blown past by >10C in permafrost regions. But everything's fine, right?

Speaking of which, here's a nice explainer about what that means. Not quite world-ending, but very heavy in implications.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    @anakinfansince1983

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

This was literally Western Oregon yesterday with no filter. These fires are serious. I'm certain they're worse in Cali.

Vaderize03 and Princess_Tina like this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I'm here in the SF Bay Area, and I woke up in the middle of the night. Except I looked at my phone, and it wasn't the middle of the night...it was 10 AM. Apparently there's enough smoke to darken the sky and turn it reddish-pink. Somehow the air quality is still okay at the moment...but man, it sure looks like an apocalyptic hellscape out there.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah it looks like Blade Runner Las Vegas here lol in the Peninsula.

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I have never seen a disaster movie that looked half as disturbing as the scenes coming out of Northern California today... Wonder how long it will be until skies look normal again?

14. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Denis Villeneuve is god, confirmed

15. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    But... we are still 29 years away from 2049!

I hope climate-change deniers, when shown this picture below and compare it to the current pictures in Northern California will finally realize that the future is no longer a very distant thing. I maybe I shouldn't hope at all...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is firefighting just a matter of manpower? If so, why don't we just train every able-bodied adult in firefighting, and when these things break out we just send everyone to put it out before it causes too much damage.

17. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Has anyone thought about maybe the earth may be tilting in a more southernly direction causing a change in warming? But I believe people are a cause too!

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That doesn't make any sense. If Earth titled more on its axis, it would be colder in the winter.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    There’s a 100,000+ acre fire burning barely 15 miles away from me in Springfield, Oregon. An ash-filled haze is covering the entire city, but we’re not currently under evacuation notice (yet). Local high schools closer to the fire are being used as temporary shelters for those who have been displaced from the outskirts. A few tiny towns to the east of us are completely gone.

So right now we’re in “wait and see” mode.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The current trend is decreasing tilt, not increasing tilt.

21. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Would be simpler if it were, but no. Terrain and logistics also play large parts.

22. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    San Francisco in Blade Runner 2020. The soundtrack from the Blade Runner 2049 movie accompanying those video clips of the city gave me some chills:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Count Yubnub and Lordban like this.
  23. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The smoke from the raging wildfires in the western coast of the U.S. is spreading in British Columbia, Canada, raising concerns regarding the air quality in Canadian cities such as Vancouver. This current disaster in the U.S. has no borders and has much more serious consequences:

Alpha-Red likes this.
  24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Not only that, but the presence of the moon stabilizes the Earth's tilt. The moon is traveling away from the Earth at the rate of several centimeters per year; eventually, it will be too far away to perform this function, and the Earth may wobble on its axis. But that's billions of years in the future, so the answer to that question is 'no'.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Rew, Juliet316, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  25. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    In "closer to Earth" news, this year's summer has been the hottest summer on record in the northern hemisphere since records have been made.

Count Yubnub likes this.