main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did it matter at all?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Sep 10, 2020.

1. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    For me it did not matter that Who shot first.

In both versions:
    1.Greedo dies while Han lives.

2.Greedo dies like an incompetent bounty hunter.

3.Han kills Greedo in self defense.

4.Han doesn't regret killing Greedo.

5.It also had no effect on the storyline of the movie. Or Han's character.)

In my opinion Harrison Ford answered this the best: "I don't know and I don't care."

So, why there was a controversy around it ?(It only allowed Lucasfilm to use this controversy as a way to sell different versions of the same movie. Each with it's new changes.)

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That would probably be Harrison's response to pretty much any thread in here. :p

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  3. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    Hmmm... interesting post.

4. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    George thought shooting first makes Han a cold-blooded killer, not the act of killing for some reason.
    Everyone knows that shooting second makes you dead without neck twisting superpowers.

Also George's comparison of Han to John Wayne makes no sense, Wayne didn't let others shoot him. And Han never shooting first is revisionist history.
    George at one point just came to the conclusion that guns are bad, then he edited the cantina scene in Star Wars. We are lucky that didn't change the blaster into a telephone like Spielberg did with E.T.

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I prefer Han shooting first because it shows his good instincts and street smarts. And I think it makes a bit more sense that he shot first than that Greedo missed him at such close range. It's not a huge deal to me, though. Just a case where I prefer the original of Han shooting first to the later version of him shooting second.

6. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't think Greedo shooting at all would logistically change Han's motive (cold-blood vs self-defense).

Even if Greedo hadn't shot, Han had every reason to think his life was in danger. Besides, in the SE version, Han's shot is too soon after Greedo's for it to be in self-defense. He was going to shoot Greedo anyway.

7. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    Who shot first to me isnt an issue to me however I do prefer the 77 version of the scene its just I thought the execution of the scene in the 97SE and subsequent versions isnt as good as the original one imo.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    77 was the best, 97 is dopey, at least they shoot at like the exact same time now (I think if you go frame by frame Greedo's blaster fires first) so it makes it a wash really.

9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Greedo has a blaster on him and says "I've been looking forward to this a long time." He is clearly going to murder Han.

10. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    No one would care if Lucas would have just released the original editions in 1080p. But since we're stuck with his digital abominations, yeah it matters. Star Wars is a lot like John Travolta's face. I know what it looked like in the seventies and I know d*** well it shouldn't look like what it does now.

11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    At least he's stayin alive.

12. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    But he doesn't, for some reason George tries to bury the theatrical cuts like the Holiday Special. Instead he tinkers with the SE even more and adds stuff like "McLunkey".

I believe the future is fan projects who preserve and enhance the classics on their own (Harmy's Despecialized, Project 4K77, Star Wars Revisited)

13. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    I think he did it for marketing.

If he released the original cuts in 1080P then every fan would buy it and probably wouldn't have bought it again. On the other hand, whenever he released a new special edition, fans bought every one of them to see what changes Lucas has made to the movies.

Also, didn't he release the original cuts on DVD in 2006 ?

BTW, I absolutely prefer the emperor of the special edition over the emperor in the original cut of TESB.

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  14. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I agree. I have always found the hullabaloo over that scene rather hard to get excited about.

15. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Because it was changed over something really stupid, the fear that Han shooting first would make him a cold-blooded killer. Despite the fact he's a bounty hunter on a dangerous planet, with a blaster pointed right at him. Owner of said blaster saying, "I look forward to killing you." The edit is just...bad. If I remember, Greedo shoots first (at point blank range, mind -- he's on the other end of a small table. He could literally bend over and touch Han's arm if he wanted) and somehow misses Han. So either Greedo is nearly totally blind, or Han had stupidly-fast reflexes at that scene and only that scene.

Up to that point, it was made perfectly clear what a trashy, dustbin world Tatooine was. A planet of lawlessness and terror. So Han, in a situation where his life was being threaten, opting to shoot Greedo first without hesitation makes sense. It's not like he just went up to an alien minding their own business and shot them dead. THAT would be in cold-blood. Shooting an alien who has a gun aimed at you and dropping obvious hints that he wants to kill you? That's self-defense.

Now I personally don't really care either way, but I'm showing what the common complaints are about that scene.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    77 is best. I prefer Han pre-empting the obvious reason why Greedo was there in the first place. Don’t leave it up to chance. Dodging a blaster shot at close range is silly.

Darth__Lobot and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  17. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Lucas seems to have convinced people that Han didn't know his life was in danger BEFORE Greed shot because I hear Lucas's excuse parroted by people still to this day. Han even says, "This could really save my neck." to Chewie about getting some money for transporting the heroes to Alderaan before Greedo even shows up. We know that Han is at risk of getting killed for failing to pay Jabba. I can only assume that the people who didn't already know Han's life was in danger before Greedo even comes into the scene only put these movies on as background noise.

18. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    I think the original version is probably better, but the change doesn't "ruin" Han's arc as some people claim. I grew up watching the originals on VHS, and the first time I saw the special additions I hardly noticed there was a difference. And for new viewers they probably won't even give it a second thought.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Def Trooper and antitoxicgamer like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Man now all I can think of is that Han gunned down a bind Rodian, which does seem pretty cold blooded. He could have just said "Arghhhh!!" and slunk away and Blind Greedo would have thought he got him.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  20. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    Additions? What was I thinking? :p

21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The Greedo scene is straight out of a western. When a certain type "draws" on you it's not for show. Plus Greedo implies he's going to kill him. He's making it personal, and he's not just going to take him back to Jabba alive. Even as a kid I understood this. He says "I've been looking forward to this for a long time."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Only Han shot at all.

And no, I don’t think it matters.

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    the correct answer is MACLUNKY :p

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I didn't care. But I thought the special effect looked bad.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Han shot first. Han always shot first