main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does Yoda know of the "save lives" power? His death scene in ROTJ indicates that...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by QUIGONMIKE, Sep 13, 2020.

1. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Watched ROTJ last night(love it :) ) and when Luke says "You cant die", Yoda replies with "Strong am I with the force but not that strong". So, he knows of the life saving power that Palpatine speaks of in ROTS? Is it available to Jedis that pursue it? I know that Palps says to Anakin that the dark side is a pathway to many powers the Jedi wouldnt agree with or whatever. The fact that he said what he did at least made me wonder.

Yoda says he isnt strong enough with the force but maybe he leaves the door open that Luke one day could be. I dunno, just thinking here.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Sadie Erso likes this.
  2. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well Lukes quote/unquote death in The Last Jedi is quite ambiguous because we watch him will himself into the almighty force.

Sadie Erso and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  3. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    Always struck me that Yoda said that kinda wryly. In the sort of "yeah, nobody's that strong" way.

I thought Yoda was saying that there is no escape from death; that's also a core tenet of the Jedi teachings - "There is no death; there is The Force". I.e. there is no power that can prevent it. Even if there was, a Jedi would never seek it, never use it.

4. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    Interesting post, @QUIGONMIKE !
    That's really thought provoking.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Nah, Yoda just needed Rey there to help a dude out

Sadie Erso likes this.
  6. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Good point - that jives with Yodas statement in ROTS when he tells Anakin that he should not pity those that have transitioned into the force aka "passed on". I forget the exact wording but hes saying that death is a natural part of life so to attempt to prevent that is un-natural. I believe Palpatine also says to Anakin during their famous talk at the show that The dark side is a pathway to some capabilities that the Jedi would find "un-natural".

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    lord_sidious_ and Sadie Erso like this.
  7. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I've always understood Yoda's line to be no matter how strong any of us are, there is no escaping death. I mean, I can see your point, and it could be a sly nod to the power the Sith seek, but when you keep it in context of the situation, it's just simply Yoda accepting that it's his time to die.

8. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Another thing that could be relevant is that early on in RotJ, the Emperor was designed to be really ancient, like thousands of years old.
    So Yoda is old but the Emperor is older still.
    Now sure, the emperor has used the dark side to stay alive far longer than was normal while Yoda did not fight death.
    He accepted it.
    Which is why one reason why I think Anakin at the end of RotJ is a better Jedi than he has ever been.
    He also now accepts death, he no longer fears it or tries to fight it. A lesson he never did learn as a younger man.

As for what Yoda said in RotS, the sentiment might have been sound but he expressed it very poorly. Coming across as cold and uncaring.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor