main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Music in Future Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by InterestingLurker, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Kiner shows with clone wars and rebels you can go anywhere with music as long as it fits the story.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would not mind at all actually I would like it if future films get Kevin Kiner to compose. He has shown with both TCW and Rebels that he could do it

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I also saw that potential with Kiner’s last couple scores for TCW. But now that I have, absolutely. Get him into live action.

4. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    If future SW films have a "western" or "wide open spaces" aspect to them, I'd be interested to see what Trevor Jones could do with that. His main theme for "Last of the Mohicans" remains to this day one of my favorites.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Last of the Mohicans is one of those CD's that I bought shortly after the film was released and I still listen to it often. That's some beautiful, powerful, music.

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Bear McCreary.
    Big bombastic, lots of heavy drums and wailing wind instruments, and a bit of ethnic tones of various sorts.
    Vaguely Ludwig Göransson in that it can be Orchestral, but in an unconventional way.

He wrote the soundtrack to Battlestar Galactica which has been my obsession over the past few weeks, The Walking Dead, and most recently Godzilla: King of Monsters which is probably my most played soundtrack recently.

I could imaging his stuff behind Ahsoka as she stands defiantly holding lightsabers in the weird way she does, as the wind blows, and hordes of ugly Sith-ish warriors approach.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    There is a difference between imitation and influence. All musicians have their influences (including Williams, the Imperial March and Chopin?), and their would be nothing wrong with a composer sprinkling in some music with a similar feel to Williams if that were appropriate for the particular production. There are plenty of great composers around that could make some really great music for a SW movie that is creative and original, but bends a little here and there with nods to Williams to add back in the familiar feel.

There are a lot of approaches that could be used- like the idea of the soundtrack from Chernobyl, which was pure genius- it wasn't at all the typical "tell you how to feel" type of soundtrack (like the buildup music to a scary scene or the loud blast in a dramatic climax); but still managed to be wildly effective. That type of thing would mostly be for something different than typical SW, but different musical elements could fit into different settings and moods depending on what they bring us in the future. Plenty of room to be imaginative with the music as well as the movie content; no reason to follow any particular formula.

I agree that popular music probably will never find a place in SW, because it just isn't that kind of a production, it would mostly be silly or out of place. It certainly has its place in other kinds of movies, and there are many examples of it; the use of Killing Strangers by Marilyn Manson in John Wick was an amazing choice. I could see them using Trent Reznor for a Plagueis film (or some sort of Sith origins movie) with all of his eerie, dark, atmospheric music, but that would be the kind of music he does frequently does for for soundtracks, far different than actually playing Nine Inch Nails songs.

Speaking of SW music, I have to throw this in, as I have always found this performance to be powerful.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    ^that concert was great!

Lee_ likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I hope they can get Giacchino. He really nails the neo-classical, leitmotif driven nature of Jdubbs. I point to his trilogy of scores for the Medal of Honor video game franchise. Each game he added new tracks and broke down/built upon tremendously the music of the previous games.

let me ask, does this sound Star Wars enough for you?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  10. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I'd definitely be up for Sonic Youth reuniting to write a song to be used in a bar in the lower levels of coruscant.

GregMcP likes this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I would rather like Queen-ish wailing guitars as the X-Wings swoop in to attack....

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Göransson for the funky films and Giacchino for the more traditional ones.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, some Pink Floyd in the new Dune trailer, can't get any more cool than that......

Bor Mullet and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  14. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    The Vienna Horns make this performance. Incredibly beautiful instruments. This is another powerful recording, conducted by JDubbs himself.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Lee_ likes this.
  15. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I love how Michael Giacchino captured the classic Star Wars feel while also bringing something fresh to the table in his score for Rogue One.

I also like how the soundtrack to The Mandalorian has some serious Ennio Morricone vibes, and I think I'd like to see a fusion of those two things in a future Star Wars soundtrack.

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    nvm

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Get Danny Elfman!

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Get me Rex Kramer!

Sarge likes this.
  19. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Giacchino's Imperial Suite was great, distinctly imperial but not too similar to William's Imperial March.
    I also liked Kevin Kiner, especially TCW's militaristic music and Thrawn organ themes.

In my opinion, Star Wars is a space opera in every sense of the word. The music is even more important than story elements, the music is there to inform the viewer of the emotions in a scene and it works in conjunction with the visuals, it's an audio-visual experience.
    A trap with Star Wars can be to overdo the themes, they need room to breath. Don't play Imperial March in the background every time the empire is on the screen.

20. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    more Star-Warsy music by Giachinno in MOH

22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Quite similar to Imperial March...

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
  24. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Also similar:

John Williams wasn't entirely original.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Wow. I never realized how similar the march was to that Chopin number.