main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Share your very local news

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi Anne , Aug 11, 2020.

1. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Oh that's so sad :(
    Poor things

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    At 5am yesterday the local McDonalds opened up to sell $5 Chiefs Super Bowl flags to benefit Ronald McDonald house.

By 5:30am they'd already sold 800 of them and had a long line.

This went on all over the city.

3. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Today is the first day we’re not running the AC here in Dallas!

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    My Nextdoor app is exploding (relatively speaking) over a controversy about yard signs. It would appear that many people are filled with rage at the sight of their neighbors' political lawn signs, so they sneak over when they think no one is home and steal them. But--ha-HA! Everyone has Nest cameras now! So folks are repositioning their cameras so that they no longer point at things like entrance points to the house, and instead point at their lawn signs. I know this because they're all posting about it on the internet.

I have not yet robbed anyone's house, but sometimes I think it would be funny. (I'd leave their lawn signs, though.)

5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I can neither confirm nor deny that I have robbed someone's house. The absence of lawn signs makes that particular issue irrelevant.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Btw, what happened to the cassoulet? Did it taste good this year?

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    EARTHQUAKE 2! Another Earthquake has rocked Leighton Buzzard , this time a 2.1. I'll keep you updated on any casualties.

darthhelinith and Darth Punk like this.
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    This could warrant its own thread

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Our city typically comes with the "Trick or Treat" ordinance for this upcoming Halloween right about now. So far? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Our neighborhood is assuming that going door to door trick or treating will be banned plus we really do not want the kids doing that therefore my wife and our neighbor's wife (they are good friends) have deemed themselves the unofficial Halloween planning committee (both my neighbor's husband and I have told them that if either one of them lets their ego get the best of them and turns into Angela Martin from "The Office" they are getting stripped of their duties therefore expect Halloween to be planned by the equivalent of Jim and Dwight) and are trying to gauge what everyone wants to do. The original idea was to just do a "Truck or Treat" but I am in the camp that if we can make it work, a Halloween parade for the kids where they walk around the neighborhood and people throw them candy would be a lot more fun and feel more like Halloween because at least will be in our neighborhood with their costumes getting candy instead of a parking lot. Will see what comes off it though everyone is in agreement will do something, just not knocking on doors.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I read that some places in the US have already banned trick or treating due to the virus.
    What about a Halloween version of an Easter Egg hunt? Is there a central area where you could hide candy bars (or something like that) for the kids to find? They could still do that in costume.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yes @LAJ_FETT as LA County and some other parts have "banned" Trick or Treating already. Here they have not but I assume they will. And we thought about something like that but keep in mind this is Chicago at the end of October and the weather is unpredictable as you can possibly imagine. Give you an example: A few years ago it was absolutely perfect for it. Low 60's and plenty of sun. Last year? It snowed FIVE INCHES on Halloween. We have a picture of our daughter playing in the snow on that day which became part of our Christmas card since she was dressed up as Elza last year. So we really cannot plan on doing something like Trick or Treat because of the crazy weather plus the fields even if it is nice will be massive mud piles and the kids will be made if their costumes get ruined. Your idea would work IMHO well in other parts of the country where it's warmer/less wet on Halloween.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Oh well. It was just a thought.

Luke02 and Darth Punk like this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Good thought IMHO for sure! For our friends in warmer climates I think that can be really cool. Just again Chicago Halloween's unlike you have ever seen as again it can be anything and everything. One year it can be 70 and sunny. The next? It can be like 1994 when it is freezing rain SIDEWAYS and they had to cancel all trick or treat events:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-10-31-0610310099-story.html

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Backyard deck collapsed in the Sandbridge area of Virginia Beach. Two people taken to the hospital but are expected to make a full recovery.

Sarge, Luke02, darthhelinith and 2 others like this.
  15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Emergency services were called out to clear up a log that had been dropped from a timber truck and onto one of the main roads. When they arrived it turned out that it was just a small branch and there had definitely been a bit of misunderstanding in the reporting.

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    A woman fell out of a moving car on the M25 while leaning out of the window to film a video for Snapchat.

She fell from the car into a "live lane" between junction six and the Clacket Lane Services at 01:30 BST, Surrey Police traffic officers tweeted.

The woman was not badly hurt but police said it was lucky "she wasn't seriously injured or killed".

She was treated at the scene by paramedics. No arrests have been made, police added.

PLEASE NOTE, if you do search for the video it contains nudity. She was stripped down to her bikini bottoms

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'd venture a guess that she wasn't exactly sober while doing that.

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    well that's another video for You've Been Framed.

darthhelinith and Darth Punk like this.
  19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    If you’re over 18, search out the clip. It’s unbelievable

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I actually saw that story on BBC. Hooray for your local news going international?

In my local news, the famous pan fried chicken restaurant in the area is opening an express version in my home town in October. I am ecstatic to try it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Darth Punk likes this.
  21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Slightly missed that one by ten days... xD

I didn't attend this year. A friend of mine did, and said "it's not as good as mine, you'll see what I mean in October" :p

Local news today is the ban of a number of fairs, and the restriction of event size to 1,000.

This is horrid news for our Stade Toulousain, one of the few Rugby teams at the pinnacle of that sport in Europe. Because of the costs to hold matches with a smaller public in attendance make it a losing proposition no matter what, if they're going to carry on without filing for bankruptcy, it'll mean home games with no public, and they can only afford three of those before running into serious trouble. The loss of revenue so far this season is already in excess of a million Euros, after they had to refund 32,000 seats that had been sold well in advance for yesterday's European quarterfinal.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Our town came out with guidelines for Trick or Treating. They are not "encouraging" it but came up with guidelines for it. Our neighborhood decided on a parade for the kids and either people will put bowls out at the end of their driveway or simply throw from the kids as they walk by. There is also having a few drive thru trick or treat events. I think were going to one that will be at the park district which will be on the 24th as it is going to be smaller then the one on the 31st plus it fits better in our schedule especially again our neighborhood is going to have a parade that afternoon which is when the big drive thru trick or treat event.

We are really trying to go out this year for the holidays. I like Halloween but don't love it yet I am trying to really overdo it this year both for our kids sake and really are own. I told my wife whatever weight I lost during the pandemic might be coming back on. Her response? "Don't worry I will just get your fat butt up with me in the morning to do a workout on top of your regular ones". My wife is working out twice a day now. Once in the morning before she gets ready for work and once before dinner. She is nuts! :)

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    One of the municipalities in the region is having a vote on allowing wind turbines on one of the mountains. The vote is next week, but so many people have already done early voting so the municipality had to order more envelopes for postal votes.

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    A person in the town next to mine has been charged with reckless driving after having driven around in, uh, half a car.

[​IMG]

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Hurricane Teddy brushed past us. There was some wind and rain, but nothing worse than a normal summer thunderstorm.