main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "The Sleeper Has Awakened" - DUNE DISCUSSION-

Discussion in 'Community' started by Snax Rebo, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    In the official prequels: they endured a lot of accidents, but not to the point of non-viability of space travel without spice.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes [d]p4m[/b], but the prequels also assert that large scale spice production has only been afoot for less than a century. That makes no sense if the Empire is supposed to be of any meaningful age.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The original novels do not indicate if there was an "Empire" prior to the Butlerian Jihad - although the Dune Encyclopedia certainly does - but one of the essays at the end of Dune indicates that the Landsraad (the council of the Great Houses) existed for 2000 years prior to the Butlerian Jihad. Deep space travel was said to be around at least 11,000 years by the time of the Jihad.

4. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    In the prequels, we witness the Empire's formation - it doesn't exist before them, only a coalition of worlds rebelling against the AI. As @blackmyron mentioned, this is inconsistent with Herbert's work.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Bene Gesserit also had time to embed doctrine into the fremen religion. I'm not sure how long that might take, but it doesn't seem like they would have bothered if the fremen weren't also integral to the spice trade, and the spice trade weren't integral to the entire functioning of imperial civilization. Can you do that in a century? Also, just as a side note; I don't care.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As I remember the book did they mention that the Bene Gesserit witches had seeded many word, many cultures with belife that they later could use when needed

Lordban and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Indeed, and they spent many millennia doing so. On Dune specifically, the Reverend Mothers have, for many of them, gone native and are no longer as tightly bound to the main Bene Gesserit chapter; but they haven't gone entirely independent either, and one major reason they stay on Dune is because, like the Fremen they live among, they've become addicted to spice in doses that would be unaffordable away from Dune.

Iron_lord and Rylo Ken like this.
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I’ve gotta ask - what was wrong with the old Dune movie?

Subtext Mining likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It ignored a good chunk of the book...

Darth Punk likes this.
  10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    That’s ok, so did I

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I hope people turn into minecraft characters when they fight in the new film.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It was terrible.

I mean, I do adore it, but it's still terrible.

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    it's a lovable trainwreck.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think people have problem with how theatrical it often is in its acting

Darth Punk likes this.
  15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The old movie.will be on in the background whilst I'm.working tomorrow.

Ill then consider the mini series

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I know they’re speaking english, and in sentences...but I can’t for the life of me understand what anyone is saying in the old movie. Perhaps its the mumble-whisper tone, or the editing, or something else.

Its a visually arresting movie though

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The effects always seemed so murky to me and were often bad even for the time. The worms are a highlight of the visual effects and possibly nothing else.

CernStormrunner and Alpha-Red like this.
  18. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I like the 1984 movie for what it is but.

The Baron is portrayed as absolutely bonkers plus Lynch had to add body horror stuff to because David Lynch. The Baron of the Books is terrifying but in more of a Hans Landa/ Emperor Palpatine way.

The books go into great detail about Paul not being a God. Lynch makes him a god with the whole does not need the weirding module(which itself was a invention by Lynch) and making it rain on Arrakis, which would kill all the worms, end spice production and interstellar travel. Paul in the books is actually horrified at the cult the Fremen create around him but uses it to rain in the jihad as much as he can and they still kill billions upon billions(to the point to make the Emperor from Warhammer 40k jealous)

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The Lynch movie lost me the first time when Virginia Madsen opened her mouth and started talking. And then it lost me again when the emperor complained to the mutant (!) navigator about the Atreides' secret sound-based weapons project. Five minutes in, and I was already enraged. This was 1984 though. I was young and easily enraged. Now I am old and easily enraged. It would be easy to believe that Virginia Madsen was the film's worst casting choice. Enter Sting, who is as bad an actor as he is good a musician. That sentence sounds wrong, but I'm going with it anyway.

soitscometothis likes this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Okay, I've been going through my thorough re-reads of the Dune books, and I did find something that might indicate a pre-Butlerian Empire. In Dune Messiah, we have this quote: "Tibana was an apologist for Socratic Christianity, probably a native of IV Anbus who lived between the eight and ninth centuries before Corrino, likely in the second reign of Dalamak..."

BLemelisk, Iron_lord and Lordban like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It's not established in the movie that water is poisonus for the worms so it's possible that they would not take any damage from it.

I don't see your problem with him. He worked good as a psykopatisk upen commer and Paul's physical enemy to the Baron's political.

22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I just wanna know what these notes were FH had written down the he son found. Is it a sentence, page or multiple pages? Only books I’ve read by son is books 7&8.

23. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    They show them drowning a juvenile for the water of life or maybe i am mixing up a scene from the scfi channel miniseries.

24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    They do in the later sci-fi series, when Paul prepares to drink the Water of Life. He kills a juvenile worm onscreen by drowning it. No such reference in the Lynch movie, though, not that I remember.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's in the extended cut.

Lordban likes this.