main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    You just killed your own argument my friend. The players while not paid are still getting "compensated" by getting free tuition which while on "paper" might not cost nothing (*giggles*) it is anything but as there is no such thing as free education as education just like anything else in life is a business. Even at a public high school it's a business. Therefore the players are given a compensation package on average of $50k per year in tuition waivers. Now you can argue that their compensation package should be bigger that could include allowing them to make money off the field via endorsements and other stuff (which I think is the best way it can be done) but you cannot argue they receive no compensation for services render to the school.

Believe me every year I teach the kids to understand the difference between simply looking at money when it comes to what you get for work compared to a "compensation package". We do an exercise where I present them with two job offers. Their task to choose which job offer they will take and explain why. Company A offers more money so most of them choose that (as I totally understand some of them don't even bother reading it so they just see the number and go okay Company A LOL) but Company B offers more vacation time, a better health care plan, more vestment on their 401k etc. So when we go thru it I crunch the numbers and that when you go thru it, Company B actually pays them more thru different compensations hence why companies now offer compensation packages, not salary packages because it is more encompassing then just what you get paid.

I do find it interesting that people only worry about the athletes not being "paid" but again they are getting "compensated" when in reality the students who make the most money for them often times are the ones on academic scholarship but nobody talks about them. The athletic department as a whole might get all the pub but in reality it's only a small sliver of the school. For example the University of Michigan entire athletic department is worth $200 million but the school itself is $1 billion therefore $800 million of the school net worth (for lack of a better term) comes from outside athletics. That is a lot of lab coats that come up with amazing stuff that the university profits off but the only compensation they see again is free tuition. Funny how nobody cries for them LOL!

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about because not actually getting paid is not actually getting paid.

If you earn money, you earn money. If you get a good or service, and you don't get money, you don't get money. It's like this -- if you're unemployed, and the government offers you a tax break vs. giving you unemployment insurance (i.e. $$$) -- which is actually going to help you?

There's no scarcity in college education, there's only artificial scarcity -- a college or university could say they can only accommodate X number of students, but then decide to add 125 class spots and hire people to accommodate just those 125 people, etc. and the only people not getting paid out of that are the 125 student athletes on the roster. Similarly if they don't hire anyone to just deal with those 125 people, then it's not even an incremental cost to the university. Conversely, the university can also claim that the value of a scholarship is (making a number up) $80,000 -- so that counts against revenue on the balance sheet, and they pay less in taxes -- despite it not costing them anything.

The whole thing is a scam, right down to the balance sheet.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Paid: to get paid: to receive money for work completed, to receive wages. verb.
    Compensation is the total cash and non-cash payments that you give to an employee in exchange for the work they do for your business.

They are totally two different things.Players receive compensation that is worth on average around $100k after four years.

Move on since that has nothing to do with college football LOL!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    it has everything to do with college football.

5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Not in it pertains to the B1G deciding to play in a pandemic which I am curious to see what the Pac12 does now since they seem to be aligned.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It's literally one of the two reasons why I don't watch the sport anymore.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Sad to say but like Trump supporters who sworn off the NFL, they really do not miss you.

As it is I do think the college football system will rapidly change over the next decade as I think the NFL wants deep down a developmental system to have more "NFL ready players" especially at the QB spot so yes eventually I do think the XFL or something like it will be gobbled up by the NFL league and they will use that as a way to get players to skip college and start playing professionally right out of high school. That way when the players come up to the NFL, they know the system and that will mean players fill in quicker/better especially again at the QB slot.

8. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke, unfortunately even the NCAA doesn't agree you. They consider student athletes to be "volunteers," not employees, and thus scholarships are considered "benefits" and not actual compensation.

The reason is obvious-- if athletes were employees, they'd be protected under the National Labor Relations Act and the Fair Labor Standards Act. They'd have the right to unionize. They'd have a right to overtime pay. They have none of these things b/c the NCAA does not consider them employees or even independent contractors. The reason for that is pretty clear.

And FOH with that line about Inty. A fan like him is valuable to the university and the sport. Losing the support of people like that is how a massively popular sport can go the way of boxing. And on a personal level, I miss talking to him about the Buckeyes often. :(

Lowbacca_1977, Juliet316, Rew and 2 others like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, on top of that, the non-tuition/book portion of their scholarship (food, lodging, etc.) is taxed so they have to pay money they don't have because they are not paid!

10. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    It definitely relates to the B1G deciding to play during a pandemic. I don’t particularly care for the NFL playing right now but at least they are compensated with millions of dollars. The NCAA is forcing its unpaid labor to risk contracting a pandemic entirely for financial benefits they (the players) never see is just beyond the pale. Even by the essentially nonexistent standards of the NCAA.

Juliet316, Rew and LloydChristmas like this.
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It is still a form of compensation though. They are getting something valuable (a college education) for free that others would have to pay for. It's a barter form of compensation but it's still compensation. And once again they are not the only ones who are under the same system as all scholarships are like that and as I pointed out, other scholarship students make tons and tons of money for their schools. Just look at the University of Illinois which is winning contracts left and right with state governments for their spit COVID-19 test but not a single dime of that money is going to the kids on scholarship who develop it. They are not pulled up in Telsas any time soon despite it. It happens all the time. Hell "Real Genius" is partly based off the exploitation of college students on scholarship for technology that winds up being yes defense weapons yet they receive no money despite the universities getting huge money. Yet nobody seems to mind that.though.

And I have refused to buy Nike shoes/appeal for nearly twenty years now ever since they were found to be using sweatshops with child labor and never have fixed them (still is going on). Do you really think they miss my money? Nope. Just like the Trump supporters and the NFL, it's not even p!$$ in the bucket.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So was coal scrip.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Ironically I was reading about Amazon uses a coal scrip system as part of their compensation package as employees who complete high orders get like swag bucks. It is almost like a game like system. I am trying to incorporate into one of my lesson plans this semester but it's going to hard since were going to be remote until most likely spring.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah... As bad of a decision as the Big Ten is making, I certainly wouldn't compare it to child sex abuse.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That is hyberbole at it's finest. There is both valid arguments to have the B1G play or not play this year though again I am happy that they at least waited to the science caught up this a little bit and now will be able to test the players everyday along with having them being regularly monitored by a cardiologist though again I am not sure with players all on campus with other students how you will be able to stop outbreaks unless the players are truly quarantined. Personally I would like to have everyone waited to the spring and play as I think that would been a lot better time to have it (along with college basketball though sounds like they want to start Thanksgiving now) yet to equate it to child sex abuse is absolutely redonkicilous but we live in a world today where people just shoot whatever is on their mind and have no regard for the person on the other side since it's done not face to face and most importantly do not think of the unintended consequences which is the word that will describe this era of our lives. What happened in 2020 will have unintended consequences that will vibrate for a generation at least or until AI takes over/aliens finally decide to make their presence known.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    The reason she tweeted that is that originally her article was about yesterday being "The darkest day in Big Ten history."

To which Twitter peeps began rightfully dragging her about those scandals. She deleted her original tweets and then sent out that one trying to work it into her column. She's a hack.

And Luke no one was realistically waiting until the spring b/c having two football seasons in one calendar year is ridiculous. It'd also mean all the top-flight draft talent would bolt (playing would mean missing the NFL Draft-- or, even if they moved that back, they'd still miss OTA's).

dp4m, Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Calling Christine Brennan a hack is a insult to all hacks. She is just a bomb thrower who speaks hyperbole and then gets all defensive/denies it when she is called out. I do think the press needs to be held more accountable especially columnists/commentators though do not take that has the "liberal bias" bullcrap we hear from the right.

And that just shows @Juliet316 how important contract tracing is though hopefully with antigen testing being done everyday it makes contract tracing a whole lot easier.

Meanwhile in Trumpville....

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/white-house-offered-tests-big-ten-resume-football/story?id=73062256

I guess he thinks if he can get B1G football going again, it can help him in swing states like Ohio and PA. Regrettably I think that line of thinking is not that off the wall. Who cares about the piling bodies in the corner along with the businesses that been wrecked by this pandemic (read somewhere that 60% of current closed restaurants on Yelp are for good...MY GOD!) if the Buckeyes and the Wolverines are playing.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  19. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Heard from one of my students from a few years ago today. Her entire soriority got it. The entire thing. And they were not really party or anything like that, not compare to other schools. Eventually we are all getting this. Just got to try and push that date as far in the future as you can.

21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    That sound you heard was Oklahoma choking away a 21 point lead to lose at home to Kansas State.

22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Gonna be a tough loss in a few minutes.

23. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Miami is crushing FSU early.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @Rew this Carolina team is showing a lot of fight, much better than expected. Should be a good 4th q and finish.

UT's o-line is abysmal this year.

Rew likes this.
  25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    But better than FSU's revolving door OL. :p

heels1785 likes this.