main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Senate Coping with American Authoritarianism

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bacon164, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    It’s clear to me now that regardless of what happens in November, the wave of Trumpism that cascaded through the Republican ranks is here to stay in the form of a political authoritarian bent with the support of a multi-million person cult that believes the other side possesses Satanic powers and I don’t know how to cope with it. Fortunately, most of the world is operating under similar circumstances. What strategies do you use to stop thinking about it?

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Realize that you've always lived under authoritarianism.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I cope by leaving the country.

5. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Important. I think I need to sticky this sentence on my forehead.

6. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I sleep around 16 hours a day and daydream about suicide.

I . . . don't actually recommend that. Perhaps try exercise and handicrafts? That's what people keep telling me.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I complain a lot. I was very demure before I was 18 in 2004. Now, I am not.

I watch AOC and listen to Ilhan a lot.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Posting pics of cute animals on a SW message board where we don't talk about SW and drinking.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  10. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    ****post about it

actually laugh about it

try not to cry

cry a lot

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Games.

Healer_Leona and mnjedi like this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I guess the same way I dealt with nuclear paranoia for the last four decades or so? To paraphrase the Onion - "crippled by cynicism, the very measure they will create to protect themselves from an overwhelming sense of dread and lack of faith in their continued existence."
    Playing video games where I can shoot ****ing Nazis helps a little.

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Rage about it on a forum.

14. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Take a deep breath after reading an Ipsos study that shows 82% of French people now endorse putting the country "under a true leader".

15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Realistic answer: Pretty much what you guys have said

My ideal answer: While we still have the civil liberties to do so, do everything possible to promote our anti-Trumpist message. No, I am not by any means saying suggest things go back to business as usual post-Trump. The systemic problems we have didn't begin with him, but he has encouraged those who are worse than him to take a stand and threaten the rights of people.

These people (white nationalists and the like) didn't just appear in the 2010s, but they now have someone who has enough power in the Republican Party to influence his fellow ideologues to embrace his brand of rightism or at least act like they do to stay relevant.

We need to pressure the Democratic establishment into acting based on our point of view, and promote candidates who are not socially authoritarian but will take a true stand against systemic racism and climate change. We've successfully pushed for change before. We still have a long way to go.

Too long, didn't read: Do for the left side what Trump did for the right side and be better at it

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So which Napoleon will it be? The father who was stipulated to be disinherited but still claimed his pretender title, or the son?

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Don't be silly. We're an elective monarchy nowadays - we just disagree vehemently between ourselves on who the boss should be.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  19. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    We should collectively figure out better coping mechanisms. Drinking game?

20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Time with my wife and kids.

Running, calisthenics and kettlebells.

My organic wine club of European imports from small local wineries.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  21. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    @Vaderize03 — God damn, that sounds healthy. What are you, a doctor or something??

I’m pretty sure my only healthy activities involve my cats. And looking at memes of other people’s cats. And watching YouTube videos about cats.

[​IMG]

22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Taking care of mom and myself,
    Being grateful for this job and all we have,
    Drawing,
    Cooking,
    Watching blue jays, cats and old trashy movies,
    Exercise, posting here and avoiding falls.

((Hopefully writing and getting better at my hobbies too))

And being cranky about stupid things, so I can handle the stuff that does matter.

23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Speaking of authoritarianism:

Nearly two-thirds of US young adults unaware 6m Jews killed in the Holocaust
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/16/holocaust-us-adults-study

So yeah, the US has always had an authoritarian streak. Our history includes slavery, and at various times oppression of not only blacks, but natives, POC, immigrants, jews, workers, or anyone not at the very top, or white, so of course it is.

And I'm sure every President from Washington to Trump has been called a tyrant at some point or another. However, the recent MAGA Authoritarianism is something ...newish, I believe, only in so far as a very large segment of this country has gone ape*** crazy, (due in part of decades of boiling resentment and hatred, toxic masculinity, nationalism, class warfare, out-right racism, religious fervor, belief in American exceptionalism, and our own American Myth, and finally, a unhealthy dose of pure ignorance) is calling the other side of population (or anyone to the right of them) 'the enemy' and is fully ready to follow their Cult Leader into the depths of hell, as long as he fights, or trolls, their enemy. It just so happens that their Cult Leader is a narcissistic, selfish, ignorant, sociopath "CEO" who craves loyalty to himself above all else, doesn't give a second thought to democracy, doesn't care one-iota about laws if they apply to him, our constitution, or norms, and will gladly tear the country a part to satisfy his insecure ego. He's shown that he'll gladly fight his own citizens if it means he get can a photo op out of it, so there's no telling where his line would be.

Should he lose in November, I have no doubt he'll go down fighting, and encouraging his followers to take up arms, against their perceived enemy; the left who have stolen the country from them. I feel that in many ways it's the same basic story as Germany, and a few other countries, in their own trek toward authoritarianism/fascism/you name it. I feel that there's an evolution to this process, and sadly, we're rather far from the end of it, before the fever can break.

To cope, I chat with people like yourselves. My wife. My friends. Drink beer and rum. Cook good meals. Draw. Write a fantasy novel. And try to do my best to prepare for any outcome, even if it's somewhat out of my hands. I dream about moving out of this city, someplace a little more remote, with a little more land, do some gardening, minor farming, grow some wild flowers, and raise my son with my wife. I think a lot recently about the privileges I've had in life, and how other's haven't been so lucky in this country of ours.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Let's be real, Americans don't know most of the genocides and crimes against humanity from the past century.

25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I bet most Americans can't even place the USA on a map.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Master_Lok and Vaderize03 like this.