main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Global Climate Change

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, May 7, 2014.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    that pretty much happens 2 years out of every 3 now or 4 out of every 5, doesn't it? I'm making this statistic up but it's a lie that embraces a larger truth.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Well, considering the 10 hottest years on record have all happened since 2002, yes, records keep being broken every few years, and it's logical.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I bet it snows in January in the northeast. See?!? Climate change went away.

SW Saga Fan and Runjedirun like this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Trump has the most honest approach to climate change denial. He won't waste his time trying to make some kind, any kind, of argument.

6. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Remember back in march when he also claimed that science didn’t know what covid-19 even was either.

I feel like the cult is going to lead us into another dark age. That is, if mother nature doesn’t do the job first.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Mother Nature is trying to burn us out literally. Humans are like cockroaches I doubt we’ll ever go extinct not for the lack of trying mind you. We are just persistent.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There's five cyclones in the Atlantic right now, I don't think we've ever seen anything like this before...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Seeing this picture of the 5 hurricanes approaching North America makes me think that movies which have predicted catastrophic climate disasters can no longer be called science-fiction movies nowadays, but rather science-reality movies as this one below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Three of the five are tropical storms (they are named from this stage) and not hurricanes, mind you. With a total of five active named storms in the Atlantic, this ties a record which occurred in 1971.

Runjedirun likes this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Why all the confusing terminology? Why not just call them proto-hurricanes or something...and call it a hurricane regardless of what part of the world it happens to be in.

12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Is it that confusing, though? It's a scientific classification that is rather clear, for a declension on the same meteorological phenomenon as it strengthens, yes:

- Tropical depressions, which aren't named, but numbered, have max sustained winds (sustained wind speed for at least a minute) below 63km/h; the winds aren't dangerous, but the very heavy rains are already there
    - A tropical depression sees its status upgraded to tropical storm, and gets named (and watched with more attention) when it manifests max sustained winds between 63km/h and 117km/h
    - A tropical storm sees its status upgraded to hurricane when it manifests max sustained winds of at least 118km/h, and is further classified along the Saffir-Simpson scale (from 1 to 5 depending on the max sustained winds)

Master_Lok and Darth Guy like this.
  13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I can see the smoke/haze here in Maryland at my office. All the way from the west coast, unfraekin' believable.

14. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The smoke/haze from the U.S. west coast wildfires can also be seen from Southern Ontario, in the north-east of the Northern American continent!

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/hazy-days-southern-ontario-seeing-smoke-from-u-s-wildfires

I think it can also be seen here in Montreal, Quebec, since when I woke this morning, the color of the sunlight looked a bit orange.

It is now said from Canadian authorities that the quality of the air in Vancouver, British-Columbia, is among the worst in world. The smoke is now spreading to Alberta.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So when are we getting orbital mirrors?

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Rew and Lordban like this.
  17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I want to be wrong about climate change, but there's smoke in the air here. The sun can't shine through, it's cooler than predicted because of this And if you are outside for a bit you can smell and taste the smoke. 3,000 miles from the fire.

And as I drive in through this haze to work there's construction going on widening roads inviting more cars to make this worse.

Literally today I finally got on board with "humans are dumb". I wanted to believe enough of us were good. This is out of control.

Juliet316 and 3sm1r like this.
  18. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    This is called terraforming: we are transforming the Earth into Venus.

Meanwhile, for Hurricane Sally in the Eastcoast, combined with the wildfires in the Westcoast. And still people say: "CliMate ChanGe Is a HoAx!"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  19. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    These are, however, still punctual events.

What says climate is changing are facts like:

- All ten of the hottest years on record on Earth since the late 1800s happened after 2002
    - If you weren't already born in 1986, you were never alive during a year in which the global temperature was below the average for the 20th century

Master_Lok and Princess_Tina like this.
  20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That is literally the opposite of terraforming

Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Venus, or Earth, maybe
    [​IMG]

Princess_Tina likes this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Here's what it looks like at my office:
    [​IMG]

But if you turn around towards the east you see what you should see blue sky
    [​IMG]
    I know it looks like different days or a filter. But this is the same moment just different directions. It's like this at home too, one direction is hazey/smokey the other direction is blue sky. Leaves a crazy bad taste in your mouth after you've been out there. I can't imagine what it's like for those of you out in the thick of things. Stay safe.

Rew likes this.
  23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I must have good lungs, because other than when things were the worst last Tuesday morning, I haven’t had any troubles breathing. And I’m barely 15 miles away from the nearest fire (about 200,000 acres large last I heard).

24. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    People are having a lot of fun with making videos combining footages of U.S. cities being under the smoke from the wildfires with the soundtrack of Blade Runner 2049.

It still gives some chills each time I watch one of those videos:

Princess_Tina likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Blade Runner 2049 depicts a world where climate change and other problems caused the complete collapse of the ecosystem but humanity was magically able to survive because Jared Leto made some GMOs. I hate to break it to the "OH KEWL THIS IS LIKE THE MOVIE I SAW" nerds: Jared Leto won't save us. He'll mail us some used condoms.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Count Yubnub and SW Saga Fan like this.