main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Senate Coping with American Authoritarianism

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bacon164, Sep 16, 2020.

1. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I saw that yesterday. I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor.

Is it not taught in schools there?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Juliet316 and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It does not surprise me one bit. I'm sure the Trumpers are already telling themselves it was all a lie set up by Bill Gates or something in the 90s.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think the way the study is being painted is misleading. 23% of young Americans say that the Holocaust was made up or exaggerated or they aren't sure. That's not a good sign, but likely comparable with the older adult population. And what does it matter if they can't name camps or can't say the exact number of Jewish dead? Do people need to know similar details about the Atlantic slave trade to know it was a bad thing?

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I guess curriculums vary from place to place. Since I took AP history classes, I'm not really qualified to answer what they teach in the regular history classes. :(

CairnsTony likes this.
  6. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    The way US History is taught - at least as far as I remember experiencing it - goes something like

180 average total days in school year:
    1620 - 1800 = 100 class days
    1800 - 1900 = 79 class days
    1900 - 1970 = 1 class day, some time in mid June, in hot classroom with no fans, briefly spending some time on WW2, a brief sentence about the civil rights movement, ignoring Vietnam entirely and then "BELL RINGS" Schools out ...FORVER.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The humblest of humblebrags, eh?

You know what they didn't teach in my school? Post WW2 history. A lot of stuff there to learn about American Authoritarianism

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That's not only an american problem. It's unfortunately almost everywhere the same.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Considering Donald Trump is president, I think it's safe to say our education system has been a complete, unmitigated failure.

10. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    To answer the OP's question:

--let myself get distracted with my work
    --read and post here
    --watch the monologues and other political content segments of my favorite late night
    comedy shows
    --escape into the world of Star Trek by watching one TNG ep on most evenings
    --look forward to what has become the highlight of the week in my house:
    "Takeout Thursdays"

that drinking game idea sounds really good about now, though:p

11. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6074202.stm

This study is 14 years old and reveals shocking ignorance if accurate, but at least most British kids can find the UK on a map.

My mum bought a little tin globe at a flea market when I was about five. I knew where pretty much everything was shortly thereafter.

Because the globe was tiny, smaller countries were abbreviated, so for years I thought Sierra Leone was called Sleone, and Portuguese Guinea (now Guinea Bissau of course), was called Port Guinea. :p

Mar17swgirl and Darth Smurf like this.
  12. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    An answer more appropriate to the thread topic rather than a political post:

I try to focus on the things in my daily life- namely school and work. When I’m not doing that, other things I like such as fandoms I’m a part of, music I enjoy and exercise (the third one not so much lately)

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That's an excellent way to deal with the situation @Emperor Ferus

Master_Lok and Emperor Ferus like this.
  14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Most Americans don’t know much of anything beyond what happens in their local neighborhood over the the past 7 days or so.

Also, Trump gave a speech today in which he announced a “major revamp of education“. This will involve putting forth a “patriotic, pro-American curriculum ”, to undo the “left-wing indoctrination” that has taught decades of children to be “ashamed of their heritage“. The new curriculum will push back on the “left-wing lie“ that America suffers from “systemic racism”. The new program will be funded by a grant from the National Endowment of the Arts.

Heard this on NPR while driving home in his own words. Almost threw up in my lap. I mean, using the endowment for funding is like asking the National Holocaust Center to fund an education program saying that Nazism was good for Germany’s economy. Not to Godwin things, but the analogy is apt.

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    In my poorly funded county school in the middle of nowhere Alabama, we learned a lot about the Holocaust and the Civil Rights movement. History was kinda over with the collapse of the Societ Union during my education and there was no framework for understanding the consequences of 9/11 yet. There's something off about that study.

To be fair, I'm not sure where my school education ends and my internet education begins. They both started fairly early.

I appreciate the different coping mechanisms you guys have listed. I tried to write a fantasy novel but it turned into a historical fantastical rebuttal to Gone with the Wind and I couldn't handle it anymore. I needed an escape from my fantasy novel outline.

Regarding Godwin's law, @Vaderize03 ........ is Godwin's law not dead?

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Have put together a **** ton of YouTube "mix tapes" to replace, etc, the music that's on my iPod classic (it still works, but have shifted to only using my XR for on-the-go listening), and of course adding many tracks, etc, that aren't on said Classic; began to listen to/have became a huge fan of Chris Carter's Breakfast with The Beatles program on the SirusXM Beatles channel; have indulged my brother's "Lucy speak" for the family chihuahua, and along the way have created new nicknames for her; have worn nothing but pink shirts at work since mid-June.

poor yorick likes this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    There is no left-wing indoctrination. This is pure garbage cooked up by Republicans to distract people from their own right-wing extremism.

18. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Trump says he will sign executive order on "patriotic education" in rebuke of 1619 project.

https://www.axios.com/trump-1619-project-race-education-d00c8e64-9d5a-44df-84fd-1c8775e68222.html

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It’s not the fault of those of us on the ground.

Having people serve on school boards and in education departments who have never worked in a school, however...

This will go over like a lead balloon among the majority of educators and education organizations.

I won’t teach the White Supremacy Project. Full stop.

If he wins again I’m sure re-education camps are next though.

20. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Civic values don't serve the Republican Party's interests. So of course they want to get rid of them.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Have you ever thought that you might be completely wrong?

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Patriotic, Pro-American education? So what...slavery was a good thing, black people liked it, and to suggest otherwise you're an unpatriotic leftist-terrorist with an evil agenda. Or something. Their definition of love is hiding under a bed because the facts that don't adhere to your myth, scare you. It's not even patriotism or love of country they're after, it's devotion. 100% Loyalty. Loyalty to the idea that we never do bad. Ever. And to even think about analyzing this, is weak. And weakness is the enemy.

It's really freakin sick stuff. And we've seen this before in other regimes.

And the thing is...Trump doesn't give 2 ****s about this. He really doesn't care about left wing indoctrination. This is just meat on a stick to his base. And there's no way he could implement this in the next year or so.

23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And what, precisely, are you asking here?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well what's the American authoritarianism that's being referred to ?