main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RYL - PT Social Thread: Shelbyville

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Jun 4, 2020.

?

What are the best kind of pants?

1. Cargo

10.7%
  2. Sweat/Athletic/Yoga

21.4%
  3. Jeans

50.0%
  4. Parachute

3.6%
  5. Zubaz

3.6%
  6. Chinos

3.6%
  7. Bell Bottoms

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    he is veeeeery grumpy

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've been wanting to move more to digital games, but the pricetag on the PS Store is holding me back ;) Disc games are just cheaper usually, much as the minor inconvenience of discs annoys me. As for dvds, if I like a movie enough I get a physical copy, otherwise I leave it to streaming.

Speaking of, I just rewatched Captain Marvel (Twin 2 watched most of it with me too). Really enjoyed it, it's improved for me over the first viewing (and I liked it then). I really like how they realise that with a character as OP as Carol, the best way to deal with that in plot terms is to make her struggle very internal. The amnesia subplot also really helps the direction and pacing, we get to skip all the origin story stuff and jump right in media res, making the backstory we do learn part of Carol's journey of self-discovery. Ties in well with the conspiracy vibe of the Skrull plot that gives way to the reveal that they're nice Skrulls all along (and Talos is great, I'm sure @Khalia Octa will be happy to hear :p).

Edit: Yon Rogg too, he's possibly Marvel's lowest scale villain of all, with just some mild telekinesis to show for himself, but underneath that he's really manipulative and subtly menacing.

[​IMG]

Anyway, good movie. Gonna watch Spiderman: Far From Home tomorrow as a sort of 'Nick Fury' duology :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    People are against physical media because digital is hip and sometimes slightly cheaper. Also I haven’t bought a movie since TLJ came out every other movie since I have rented. The only reason I bought TLJ was because it was Star Wars. I’ll probably eventually buy the other new Star Wars movies.

Plus environmentally speaking digital is better. Those resources can be put to better use than a movie or a game. I just gets whatever is easier and guess what. It’s easier to get a movie online than it is to go 20 minutes to the nearest Walmart or target which is the only place around that still sells DVD’s or blue rays or whatever.

Of course you could also order a DVD off Amazon but you might as well buy digital at that point. Physical disks is a dying breed. Just like stick shifts.

Man I hate stick shift. Can’t wait for them to get rid of them entirely within the next 20 years.

I know how to drive them they are just annoying

4. IHeartKenobi89

IHeartKenobi89 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 17, 2019
    Just give him a snickers [face_mischief]

5. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Oh man I completely forgot about teh mole [face_beatup]:oops:

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I hate stick cars with every fiber of my being. If there was one thing I could get rid of in this world and we didn’t count the actual important things. It would be stick cars.

s_heffley and darkspine10 like this.
  7. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    But you can go into the future
    Better start selling now, experts predict it will be closed by 2021. You didn’t need me to tell you that but I won’t reveal my future information

8. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020
    no one will be able to buy or sell anything unless they have the mark, and the mark is a number of man, and that number is

I mean 666

I mean WWW.

I mean...

his facts just bring it out of me...I dunno why :p

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    dandy is quoting scripture like Linus

10. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    There is the case of vinyl records, the sole mass-market physical media format that actually grew in the US in the first half of 2020. A 70 year-old format which is itself based on a 110+ year-old format.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s much easier to do than music. You only have 3 consoles. Both Xbox and PlayStation are headed that way. When it comes to whatever replaces the Switch I am sure there will be a digital only version as well. PC games haven’t been physical in years. It’s just the natural progression of the industry. Look GameStop might survive the first year of this new generation but it won’t survive the decade. I can guarantee you that.

Huttese 101 and s_heffley like this.
  12. s_heffley

Jun 7, 2015
    When I first got Civilization V I bought it at Walmart on a disc but when I plugged the disc in it just popped up and gave me a Steam key.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Once game stop is dead that will mark the end of physical media for games. Look. 10% to 90% the stats are there and that percent will only continue to go down.

It won’t be long before game companies stop producing physical versions. The consoles may still accept physical media, but once the money isn’t there why make it?

s_heffley likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My point exactly.

s_heffley likes this.
  15. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Yeah, that's fair. That's a more realistic prediction. Not that I need Gamestop to exist or anything. If it doesn't survive, it doesn't survive. Just like Toys'R'Us.

It also doesn't help that game ROMs are getting out of control. This next generation we will probably see 150+ GB ROM. A BDXL (UHD Blu-ray base format) can go up to "only" 100GB. So what are they gonna do for the physical releases? BDXL 2-disc boxes, like in ye olden days?

16. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Ha. Same. Last PC game I bought on disc.

Actually no, scratch that. I got one of the expansions for it on a disc as a Christmas present.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Apparently that COD battle Royale is like 150 GB. That’s like half my PS4 lol

18. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020

*takes a deep breath*

shutting up

:p

19. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    I was actually reading about it today, and with or without physical, if the PS5 has to copy the game into storage like the PS4, you're gonna have to buy additional storage real quick. Someone was speculating that you might actually be saving money in the long run with the disc versions because of how much extra storage you'd buy. Unless you want to keep re-downloading your purchases. Plus, of course, physical copies can be bought used. Digital versions only go on sale, like years later, at least with AAA titles.

darkspine10 and s_heffley like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am pretty sure they are doubling the base PS5 compared to the base PS4 in storage

s_heffley likes this.
  21. s_heffley

Jun 7, 2015
    It’s okay. We know how much you like stick shift, but JKF is entitled to his opinion.

:p

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    At least I know how to drive stick at least give me that. :p

I think only 16% of people know how to drive a stick and only 5% own a stick car

23. IHeartKenobi89

IHeartKenobi89 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 17, 2019
    The song 'Here I Go Again' is a terrible song once it gets stuck in ones head.

24. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    No, it's an 825GB SSD. The launch PS4 had a 500GB HDD. But the mid-gen refresh base had a 1TB HD. So, this is actually a step down, in terms of pure capacity, as the one currently on the market.

s_heffley likes this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Same, except with Civ VI (the last one before that was Civ V :p).

Also, in all this discussion between digital and physical I think there's also a distinction missing between streaming content, which is potentially ephemeral and liable for the service provider to drop the content, and downloadable content, which can be stored forever.

Like, I've got a bunch of games in digital only, but if the wi-fi goes down I can still access them no problem. Same with my music collection, where practically 95% of it is digital, but I've got it all stored as non-proprietary MP3 files that I can copy and use at my leisure without worrying about connections or later deletion.

Iron_lord, s_heffley and Huttese 101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.