main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think Lucasfilm waited too long to make the Sequel Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Sep 17, 2020.

Tags:
?

Do you think they waited too long to make the Sequel Trilogy?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    54.6%
  3. I have mixed feelings about it

14 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    I have heard many people say that they should have made the Sequel Trilogy right after the Original Trilogy, and instead have the Prequel Trilogy be the final trilogy. So they are saying that the Sequel Trilogy should have been made around somewhere in the 1990s and/or early 2000s. The reason for that is so the cast from the Original Trilogy would've been much younger in the Sequel Trilogy than they were.

I personally think it was the right decision to make the Prequel Trilogy right after the Original Trilogy, and have the Sequel Trilogy be the final trilogy. I also think they pick the right time to make the Sequel Trilogy.

Luke, Han, and Leia were never going to be the main characters of the Sequel Trilogy no matter how old they were. The Sequel Trilogy was always going to be about the next generation, so it was going to have new main characters. So Luke, Han, and Leia's age were pretty fitting in the Sequel Trilogy.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    No. I just don’t think the sequels were very good.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Wanted too long" or "waited too long"? I think this is supposed to say "waited", so I'll go ahead and change it.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    No it was at the right time, the actors was as old as their characters are supposed to be. Also with the PT, the ST can go more into this greek tradegy with the skywalker family Anakin to Ben. And Palpatine as the ultimate puppet master. And with chosen one and more force lore things like the ST does dosen't seem that far fetched.

5. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Yes. I 200X trilogy would put the heroes in the right age range. Luke, Han et al needed to be in their fiftys. Carrie and Harrison would have looked more appropriate.

A 90's one would have been *fascinating* - And still led by our proper heroes.

UKS

cwustudent likes this.
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I wonder if they had a trailer with all the OT3 dying how that would have gone down. This Christmas, your heroes will all die. [face_laugh]

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    But 90's wound't really be a ST if it was about the same heros.

8. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    I think an OT-cast centirc ST would have felt hokey regardless of who was the right age. The people that wanted to see the continuing adventures of Luke Hand and Leia were going to be disapponted no matter what (even if they got what they think they wanted, it would not have been very good.)

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I say they should have done a few years earlier so we could still have had Carrie in episode IX.

10. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    And you know this how?

Wouldn't have been the same Episode IX....which would have been fine by me!

Yeah, well, I'd've appreciated that trailer so I could have skipped the ST (I was already spoiled on Han's death but I thought that had to be just pranksters considering I saw it in Instagram comments on another post.) I was already dreading what they were going to do based on what I'd read by the time I rolled into TFA. Turns out I was right on that front.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    What a sweeping generalization.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Even in the early days it was described that episode 7 would be Luke would be a mentor to another character. so they never had to planned for episode 7 to be Lukes adventure. admittedly that was how Lucas wanted it to be and this is Disney... but Disney didn't get Star wars untill around 2014

CISMestizo likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Luke was always going to be the mentor lone samurai character. At one point he was going to blind with samurai look to him.

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The way I see it, Lucas could take as much time as her damn well pleased because it was his baby, and nobody knows the sheer amount of time and effort it takes to make a Trilogy like he does.

And Disney and Disney Era LFL immediately scheduled a Trilogy the second they had the ability to.

So I'd say the wait between Trilogies is justified; development an release time were, if anything, too quick.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it was more disney then LFL. Disney wanted to make money quick while LFL wanted to take it's time. Bob Iger mentions in his book with wanting a reboot instead of the story that originally was going to come.

16. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Disney had paid alot of money for Star wars. they wanted to start earning it back ASAP.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    And disney will let live action and animated shows to cover unexplored stories the ST let out. Filoni at the job.

18. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Oh, I wish he'd done that, if just to see how in the hell that would have played. And frankly, I'd've wouldn't have cared less what they did in that case, it just would have been as annoying as the Trek reboot (which until I saw TFA was the worst thing I'd seen in a theater) ultimately became.

So I suppose I can blame Iger for Luke, Han and Leia never reuniting, or would that be Kennedy? Or Abrams? I never have seen which of them claimed credit for it. I know Iger signed off on Han and Luke's deaths, so I already have no respect for him. I'm sure he can cry himself to sleep with the money in his couch cushions. I just hope he eventually does run for president so I can have the pleasure of not voting for him.

cwustudent, wobbits, Darth PJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the big ones to blame for not reuniting is Bob Iger and JJ. KK never worked mutch with JJ she was more directly working with RJ. JJ and her idn't see eye to eye and rumors of drama between them.

20. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd love to hear a thoroughly referenced discussion that demonstrates that there ever was a sequel trilogy in Lucas' own conception, let alone intention, independent of LFL market performance, independent of potential sale of LFL to potential buyers like but not limited to Disney, that existed prior to the year 2012.
    As one user on this forum loves to repeat, Lucas' observable interest in the Star Wars universe was Detours. There was also some kind of Coruscant Underground (?).

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I know GL wanted to make a live action star wars tv show and wanted to creat something like the volume. I think Clone Wars was his first stepping stone before doing live action again. GL Sequels is a mystery but we know some of the storylines from TFA, TLJ are there.

CISMestizo likes this.
  22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I ain't sure that makes sense. KK is higher up then JJ. technically she can't be like oh i don't get on with JJ so I'm gonna not work with him and just let him do his own thing. KK can't really do and really doesn't have to do that. Even more so when you realise you can't be reckless with the first movie in 15 years.

KK was always involved. i just don't think she was THAT involved in any of the movies due to not knowing much about Star wars. this is why we hear so much about all these directors and writers getting involved and then it just fades to nothing. thats where her strength lays. in talent.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    Thank you.

EHT likes this.
  24. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    I don't think they were made at the wrong time, just with the wrong approach. That being, having no creative control and attempting to wing it without a long-term plan or set of end goals for the story. If the ST had been written and made in the same fashion back in the 90's when the actors were still young and fresh, it still would've been bad. Poorly-planned and contradictory films are going to suck in any circumstance or era, regardless of the actor's ages.

Hell, look at Highlander II. That was made in the 90's, while Christopher Lambert was still young and in his prime, and it was wrecked by just as much poor planning and a complete disregard for the previous film's mythology as the ST.

25. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Bingo. They had their moments and weren’t terrible films by any means. But they somewhat fail as "canon" Star Wars films for many of us. Again, not saying they suck. I own them in 4K/3D and do watch them. They are just disappointing overall and reek of "what could have been".