main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    But if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't be a proper Comms thread, now would it?!:p

(as with the JCC, I've been reading Comms threads a lot longer than I've been posting in them...)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Bacon164 likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Perhaps, if the staff actually took part in the discussion and were remotely interested in helping the situation, instead of calling us "dramatic as ****" and insinuating we don't understand our own forum, were actually proactive and helpful, we would have gotten somewhere, by now.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Bacon164 likes this.
  3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'd like to sequester some people.

harpua and Coruscant like this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    As the conversation is now exploring this option I think it’s fair to assume that people currently frequent different sections of the boards regularly, and it’s no big deal.

For what it’s worth, I’d most likely swing by a games forum if we did unmerge.

****, most of my threads will probably end up there anyway.

Coruscant likes this.
  5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Aww. I like to imagine you all getting together one day and attempting a Care Bear Stare.

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    This was a very insightful post– especially in regards to posting activity being influenced by the pandemic. A couple of points:

1. There is a forum moderated by Briannakin that hasn't been posted in since Aug, 21st, and yet the sky isn't falling.
    2. This argument hinges on the assumption that taking activity out of the JCC is a bad thing. It is thriving already and can handle a less intense post load. Whether the vacuum created by the 'games,' 'spam,' 'garbage,' or whatever would result in generation of new content or a slowdown of activity cannot be accurately predicted as far as I can see. Neither are nightmare scenarios. Because of the merge from years ago, there are certainly more than enough tags and range of discussion topics to keep Community afloat for years to come.
    3. I strongly believe that if a forum was made, the posters who frequent those threads would simply click on that forum to post their pictures, words, memes, and such. With enough room to breathe, this may result in an entire sub-culture of its own that would be interesting in its own right. At this point, those threads are more active than anything else in the Community forum and I don't see it slowing down just because they'd have to click on a different button.
    4. This final point is valid, but it's all about how you look at it. I could look at it with the idea that I want this forum to be created so I don't have to look at threads I don't want to look at. Or I could suggest that creating an entire forum validates, caters to, and generates more opportunities for those threads to be created and expanded on. It's a win-win for everyone. I would definitely participate in those threads more if I was actively searching them out (clicking on the appropriate forum) rather than sifting through them looking for other content.
    5. Your point about the pandemic creating lots of empty time for users to fill in is interesting. By default, they are resorting to these threads. Have @Coruscant and others thought about ways to take advantage of the obvious time people want to spend on here? I'm tagging Cor cuz he does those Sleepy Haunted game things and is probably familiar with the history of the Big Brother games. I don't think bringing back old trends is necessarily an answer to that question, but there's certainly possibilities.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Ha, I actually don’t really know anything about Big Brother

As for Sleepy, I was banned a long time ago from ever hosting another one of those. Oops. They were really just role playing games with a definite end and a winner that got colors. The murderer was like a mole that was slowly eliminating every one else.

If I were permitted to host another one, it could only be a very bare bones affair. I’m heavily invested into my writing right now and wouldn’t have the time to put on an epic production with all the bells and whistles that the last few Sleepies had

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I was the murderer in one of those games... good times.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    solojones, Yodaminch and Coruscant like this.
  9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    You were the best... a natural murderer

solojones and Yodaminch like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Sup? Have there been any developments behind the scenes this week? The boards are pretty much the same. There’s still a wide range of like farming threads dispensing narcotic joy to a few.

3sm1r and Bacon164 like this.
  11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Current view from the top of page 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3sm1r likes this.
  12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Just filter by the Senate threads, and you'll find the threads you're interested in and not have to see the ones you aren't. Easy solution to your problem[face_dunno]It really is as simple as clicking on a button at the top of the page. All this drama makes no sense to me...

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But there are actually plenty of discussion threads with JCC tags too.

jcgoble3, CT-867-5309, 3sm1r and 4 others like this.
  14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    You could argue the devil is in the details

TiniTinyTony and Coruscant like this.
  15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You can also put the threads you like on alert and only go to those threads. There are really multiple solutions to this problem that don't involve completely restructuring the site to suit the desire of a handful of posters who want to dictate how everyone else should post and judge the quality of everybody else's posts.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    "What do you mean, you offer these forums free of charge, you put in your valuable time trying to keep things going, and yet you don't tailor everything EXACTLY according to our desires?? How inconsiderate you are!"

17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Thanks. This thread is to discuss multiple solutions to this problem, or even explore if this is actually a problem.

Have you read the previous 40 pages? I don’t recommend it unless you have any personal investment in the JCC, or you have a spare hour of life you’re willing to throw away.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Bacon164 likes this.
  18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That has actually been largely achieved now. Coming here every so often just to crack a whip at the mods & admins to work faster doesn't seem particularly conducive, imho. I'm sure if they could do things any faster, they would.

Emperor Ferus and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Says the person who relentlessly tags mods and abuses the report feature.

He wasn't cracking a whip, he was asking for an update.

The Maverick, Bacon164 and Coruscant like this.
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It's not even close to "completely restructuring the site" Its limited to one forum, possibly two depending on our decision.

Also you'd be surprised about how many mods agree with the "handful of posters" you dismiss.

CT-867-5309, 3sm1r, Bacon164 and 5 others like this.
  21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    If so many mods agree, I'm sure the changes will happen without nagging posts being made in this thread constantly then.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sounds like a fair assumption to me. [face_dunno]

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Aww, it’s like being ganged up on by the baby yoda fan club

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So, the first thing that jumps out at me? The start date of these threads. These are threads going back years in some cases- Four are from 2012. There’s a 2015 and 2018 and only one is from 2020. So four threads have existed for 8 years and have only recently either gotten active or become a problem.

And yes, I see the last poster as well. But that goes to my argument before- this is a result of more people being active in an effort to keep sane during the pandemic. And if that is what the first page looks like with the JCC tag, then a new tag would result in the same thing correct? So to bacon’s point, the new tag would not achieve much in terms of clearing the front page.

So my question is this: Is there something wrong with posting in these threads? If so, then that is where the corrective action is needed. If not, then what is the exact problem? That JCC’s tag is too broad so now threads that have existed for 8 years should be re-tagged or moved to another forum? Ok, but what determines which threads get labeled as JCC and which get the new tag- just any ‘game’ in general? Because there are ‘games’ like drafts, trivia, family feud, etc. and then there are ‘games’ like “ITT we post ...” and I would argue that’s a pretty big difference.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I mean, it’s a comms thread, asking for updates and discussing solutions is kind of the point

I think what you’re missing is that it’s not as simple as just tapping on the senate tag or putting threads you like on alert. For example that doesn’t help with the issue of new threads being pushed back pages due to the amount and frequency of some of the game threads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.