main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Nostalgia 2000

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Sep 19, 2020.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Putting "2000" behind something used to reflect being future-oriented, but now it's something else entirely. 2000 is twenty years ago today; another world.

The bombing of the USS Cole happened twenty years ago. Al Qaeda was just getting ready. France won the UEFA Euro 2000, here in the Netherlands. Pete Sampras and Venus Williams won Wimbledon, the Olympics were held in Sydney, Australia. People in the US were getting ready to vote either Bush or Gore. Aaliyah was alive and on the radio. The internet was in its primal phase. Message boards were a thing.

I registered 20 years ago. Back then, every Friday a new image about the production of Episode II would be posted on the Star Wars website, under the "George Lucas Select" banner. The image in my avatar was what triggered me to finally sign up and say my bit, for whatever reason.

I must have signed up at work.

I worked at McAfee at the time as their box art and interface designer. It was before the internet bubble burst, and times were good. For their premium product, they flew me over to San Francisco and drove me around like this:

[​IMG]

I designed this:

[​IMG]

Packaging with a gold foil. There were not many printing companies in Europe that could do that, so once again they flew me out somewhere - this time it was Ballsbridge, a fancy neighbourhood in Dublin, Ireland. They propped me up in a hotel in Temple Bar district, so I was guaranteed a great night out. The day after I arrived I went to the printing company with a hangover, but that didn't matter, because all the guys at the printing company had hangovers as well.

It was a beautiful sunny day. We were on the first floor of the building, the doors to the balcony were open, there were about four or five people working there on various printing machines. As I was being shown the printing procedures, voices came from outside - from the garden next door. Vince, the print operator, told me that was The Corrs.

Does anybody remember The Corrs? A band with three girls, they had had a hit with 'Listen To The Radio' a year previously. These three girls had a house in Ballsbridge next to my printer.

"The weather's great", we heard one Corr say.
    "Yes", said another Corr, "Are you going to take your top off as well?"

And I swear: all those guys rushed to the balcony. I was alone with the print machines.

I waited a bit, and eventually they came back, shoulders drooped.
    Vince said: "Aah, they were only talking about their cars".

So that's my 2000 story. What's yours? Best 2000 story gets colours for a month. Gold.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Congratulations on your 20 years anniversary. Your mad skills make this corner of the internet a brighter place. Here’s to 20 years more.

The Bus

I’ll be 48-years-old this November, and the me of 20 years ago seems an almost different person. The spirit of that person still exists somewhere in the layers, but like most things, it’s been buried, built on, gentrified.

Lauren, my eldest daughter is now 25-years-old. Back in the summer of 2000, I was working in theCity of London, The Square Mile, the financial district. Lauren was having a play date with a friend over in Barbican, and I left work a little earlier inorder to pick her up.

We walked from the Barbican to a bus stop on London Wall. The bus stop was unremarkable inevery way apart from the remains of an old Roman wall 20 yards behind it, buried, built on, you get the picture.

A bus came off the roundabout, but it was not ours. It wasn’t anyone’s. The driver had taken the wrong exit, and was now stuck on a one way system, and with rush hour fast approaching it would of taken him, and his passengers at least an hour to navigate back through.

I left Lauren with some sweet old lady, and went out into the road. There were two lanes, so I directed oncoming traffic around while the bus slowly reversed. The roundabout was 100 yards from the bus stop. The first 80 yards were pretty straightforward (or is that pretty straightbackward?). The final 20 yards were slightly trickier, as drivers were coming off the roundabout thick and fast.

Eventually I had to just stand in the middle of the roundabout, and bring all traffic to a standstill. I remember getting an ovation from the bus full of passengers as it drove off on its correct route, and abuse from a backlog of drivers wanting their one.

That was one of my daughter’s earliest memories of me. We’ve had our ups and downs throughout the years. She still lives in London, and I’m now up North. Every now and then, out of the blue, I get a text from her.

“Remember that time you saved those people on that bus?”

The End

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The year 2000 was, for me, a very transitional time, though I believe the idea of “transitional times” itself is a false framing of sorts. Still, the year 2000 saw a collision of several big changes in my life.

In July, I graduated from High School & also turned eighteen. In September, I entered college & that was certainly a life defining experience. I was already into music and I liked to read, but college really unlocked the world of creative arts for me & taught me how to write. Meanwhile thousands of miles across the globe, a guy I’d never met signed up for a Star Wars message board, but I didn’t know that then & I wouldn’t meet him until years later. It was two months later when I joined, November of 2000, right around the time I cast my vote for George W. Bush in the Presidential election. So at least me signing up here wasn’t the WORST decision I made that month.

I was writing a fanfiction about Wedge Antilles & I had just read The Truce at Bakura & I had a nerdy question about it, so I registered here so I could post a thread about it in Literature. Our lives are often changed for mundane reasons; sometimes they’re changed for stupid reasons. How different would the last 20 years of my life have been if I hadn’t been briefly obsessed with Wedge Antilles & The Truce at Bakura? I swear. The stupidest **** in the world. And I’m still here. Glad to be.

But the world has changed. I remember the room I was sitting in when I registered here. I think I remember the exact computer. That room got remodeled while I was still attending college. That computer got updated. Now the whole building is gone. And they tell me Truce at Bakura is something called a Legend now. Hell, aren’t we all?

4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Graduated art school with a degree in illustration and design in 2000, and got a job as a newspaper designer a month later. (A job I had for 9 years before moving into UX Design) Lived at home with my parents for the summer, saved up every penny earned (to later spend on a 3 week vacation in Italy the year after 911), moved in with friends by fall, and generally enjoyed post-college life. I didn't pay any real attention to politics and didn't vote that fall in the Presidential election, and regretted it immediately. Lesson learned.

This was pre-cell phone, pre-social media, pre-Boards of the Force days.

Simpler times indeed.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I was in IT (mainframe database administrator) in 1999, so I was on-call for Y2K issues on the first day of 2000. Luckily I had a remote connection to work to handle any problems.

6. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I almost had my first kiss in 2000. But I didn’t.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was teaching French and Spanish at a high school near the coast of North Carolina, living in this cool duplex with a screened in porch, partying at clubs on the beach on weekends, and watching sitcoms during the week. Dharma and Greg, The Hughleys. A couple of dramas as well, The Practice and Boston Public.

I voted for Gore that year but I was in the minority where I lived, and had several students try to talk me into voting Bush.

I took some high school seniors to Disney World. We had to leave at 5:30 am from the school to get to the airport in Raleigh to go to Orlando. We got there and some of our rooms weren’t ready, and it was hot as hell, so the kids changed into swimsuits in each other’s rooms and jumped in the pool. I had planned this whole evening for them at Hard Rock Cafe and Downtown Disney but they were so tired that they were falling asleep in the waiting area at Hard Rock and asked if they could skip the shopping fest and go back to their rooms. We spent the next few days at Universal, Islands of Adventure, Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. They had A Bug’s Life exhibit at Animal Kingdom. That trip was also my only Star Tours experience. I bought a bumper sticker that says “My other vehicle is an X-Wing.” The car with that sticker on it only lasted another year and a half.

I still have some good pictures from that trip. Print pictures, no digital then.

I discovered TF.N that year in looking for Anakin Skywalker fan fiction and finding some written by FernWithy, Jedi-Jae and Alderaan21, the latter two whom I still keep up with. Kessel Runner became my first “online friend” thanks to this place and AOL Instant Messenger. I finally met him in person three years ago, and we joked around about that only taking 17 years,

AOL Instant Messenger and BellSouth dial-up Internet made online communication so much fun.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I discovered TFN in 2002 around the time AOTC was released here in the UK. I think I lurked for a bit before actually signing up.

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Signed up in 2002. Took me forever. This place was intimidating lol.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The year 2000 was nothing as I was just 1. A simpler time when I could not remember anything or speak.

11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    In 2000 I would’ve been a freshman in high school, 14 years old, so really I remember very little from that year. I grew up north of Syracuse in upstate New York, a pretty unremarkable area.

I did play soccer, so most of my memories are from that. I’m not a good athlete by any means, but I had a few goals and some assists that year, including a game winner in overtime. One match was a soaker, just down poured the whole time, the field was in poor condition so it basically turned into a pond, the ball was floating around so much so that when you went to kick it your foot would just go completely under the ball, we won like 10 to 1 that game, I think I had an assist.

I played basketball as well, but I was very terrible at that

Other than that I didn’t really like high school that much so I don’t spend much time thinking about it, lol

12. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    In 2000 I was a freelance musician with a music diary service called Morgensterns. They'd ring me up and say such and such an orchestra needs a piano/celeste player for Saturday and then I'd have to train it to wherever to dep.

Sometime in the summer I got called up to do an unusual gig just over the water in France. I knew it was a synth gig, which was unusual, but it wasn't the rock event I was expecting. Turned out to be a pre-bangface type of thing with people chucking inflatables around to rave music. All they wanted was somebody to mime on the keyboards as everything was pre-recorded, except an ironic end of evening ballade which they wanted me to play for real. It was all four square and simple. I had no idea why they'd bothered to hire me.

Before I went on, the main guy who had organised it asked me to put a big silver wig on and a tracksuit and to come onstage when I heard a starting pistol. I'd done plenty of charity gigs where I'd had to wear daft things so didn't question it At that point I had no idea what I looked like as there were no mirrors in the room I was in. Anyway, Bang! I, and a couple of others from the other side of the stage rushed on and I realised we all were wearing the same thing. A feeling of horror began to envelope me but I couldn't understand why. The drum n bass started up and one of the other guys grabbed the mic and started chanting:

Now then, now then, now then, now
    Howzabout howzabout howzabout that then

In that moment I realised we were all in Jimmy Saville outfits. This will mean nothing to our american cousins, but any British person of a certain vintage is going to know who I'm talking about. This was in the years when there were rumours of his activities but still long before he was outed as Britains most notorious paedophile. But still...
    So I stood onstage, inflatable banana in one hand, a yamaha synth under the other, sweating like a pig for an hour plus as that bloody tinnitus inducing anthem came back time and again. Somebody was snapping away as this all took place, sometimes right up in my face, so presumably there are still photos out there.

At the end, I couldn't find my jacket or jeans but, as always, had kept my cash and passport with me in a discrete bumbag. The weather was awful and I ended up soaking wet on a Sunday morning in a Jimmy Saville tracksuit waiting for a ferry. Good times.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't remember much about the year 2000, but I remember I had a classmate tell me I shouldn't support Al Gore because he was gonna force every American student to wear matching uniforms and I was like dude wtf is wrong with you.

I also remember in January I was annoyingly pedantic about it not being the 21st century yet because there was no year 0.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I got together with my first girlfriend in 2000. She was waaay too cool for me though, so that didn't last. Also, we were fourteen, so of course it didn't last.
    Apart from that, I don't remember much from that year.

Congratulations on twenty years on the forums!
    I signed up 18 years ago tomorrow.

15. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The year 2000 was the first year I saw Hanson in concert. They announced the tour and I bought tickets in two cities. Greensboro, NC and Philadelphia, PA. I had recently graduated college (like just months before I graduated on April 30, 2000) and I was sharing an inexpensive house with a roommate. I had never been to a concert I enjoyed, but I'd been listening to Hanson for 3+ years so I knew there was something special about them. The night I got home from concert #1 I bought tickets to 2 more shows. Cincinnati OH and Eerie PA. I drove to all these shows from Harrisonburg VA. I honestly don't think I even bothered to look up how long the drives were. Haven't learned much 3 years ago I drove from Fairfax VA to Nashville for Hanson and I really didn't know that was a 12 hour drive until I got in the car.

Apparently I also signed up for this site in 2000 under the name @camisa I would have kept the name, but since the email is/was so long extinct I didn't think the name would work. I still have that username on a site or two I've been an active part of since that time period. My mom's mother had the maiden name Camisa, that is why I used to use it all the time.

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    What we need is a Darth Punk 2000 playlist with a lot of Daft Punk in it.

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Juliet316, Rylo Ken and SuperWatto like this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    2000 here was the golden age of prequel bashing. What I remember most about the prequels were that they were worth bashing (and apparently SuperWatto and I fought about the prequels online) unlike the sequels, which just don't justify the effort. Outside the JCC, it was the midpoint between the birth of my first son and the birth of my second son. My oldest was four and got to spend the first 8 years of his life as an only child. He did not benefit from the benign neglect that has shaped my younger son. The oldest was always in the spotlight, the center of attention, the prodigal son, and we were constantly killing the fatted calf on his behalf. Poor kid. But he survived that pressure cooker and became a fantastic adult despite all that. It doesn't seem like 20 years. In the meantime SuperWatto also became a two-time parent, an entrepreneur, an artist, a musician, and a fixture of our JC community. You've packed 40 years of achievement into half the time. Bastard.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I was such a rebel.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Getting in an early prediction that nobody tops @Blobofat .

In the memory contest, anyway.

SuperWatto and Darth Punk like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't recall much of 2000 to be honest. Probably for good reasons to be honest.

Post-Uni employment limbo of 'no job without experience but you only get experience with a job', while the main graduate firms used A-Level points as a quick filter.

In contrast, I have far better reason to remember 2001 - met my wife.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Never gets old pondering how our idea of fancy is the place with "balls" in the name.

Congrats on your tenure here.

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    So good

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Congrats on you anniversary.

2000 I was doing pretty much the same thing, only a lot younger. My daughter and I were still riding the high that was TPM and loving all the fanfic she could find. Thanks to TF.N we were getting to know people not only from around the country, but around the world and becoming great friends with them.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    2000 was high school, and so for me the most memorable thing was that it overlapped with foot surgery that put me in a wheelchair for a month on a high school campus that was not designed or prepared for someone in a wheelchair. They were also not terribly thrilled about me being there in a wheelchair as another student had recently fallen down a hill in his wheelchair, breaking numerous bones. So they had some concerns, as the campus was a lot of hills, stairs, and for a couple weeks, some fallen trees blocking pathways as well.

I don't think much of this falls as being too unique to being in a wheelchair, but it certainly made for a series of stories that were generally funny at the time for everyone that wasn't me, like running over gum in the wheelchair and ending up with the gum equivalent of a Spirograph on one wheel, or having people take the wheelchair when I wasn't paying attention and going joyriding in it during one of my classes. The most positive was when I got stuck between classes because I tried to cut a corner and shouldn't have done so. With hundreds of other students walking around me on either side, someone (I never saw who) noticed that I was stuck and couldn't get myself free and so started pushing me from the base of the hill I was at up to the top of the hill before melting back into the crowd without saying anything. I'll stress that general etiquette is to always ask if someone needs help before pushing them, but I think in this case it was pretty clear there was a problem I couldn't fix. It was a nice offset to the sorts of bullying that were made available by the wheelchair, like people's attempts to try to roll me into the girls' locker room against my will (a test of how quickly I could stop it or steer away after they let go) or people stealing my crutches off the wheelchair and breaking them, or several people that discovered that if they grabbed stuff off my backpack and wouldn't give it back, they would end up with very bruised ankles as I tried to reclaim things.

The most memorable, though, and what said a whole lot about my sort of luck, was the time the wheel fell off. I have known several people that have spent a lot more time in wheelchairs than I do, and to my knowledge, none of them have a "that time the wheel fell off" story (though I think one of them does have a "that time his leg fell off" story, so I still don't win). Public high schools don't, or at least didn't at the time, really have a good idea of what to do with someone in a wheelchair, particularly if it was temporary, as Physical Education was a required class, and so for one quarter I was just assigned as some sort of vague helper that didn't actually do much. I'd show up to class same as everyone else, where the class met on one of the basketball courts, and then the class would go change, and then do whatever the activity for the day was. The track, however, was down a moderately steep dirt ramp to the football field, and that was considered generally a bad idea for me to mess with. So one day I showed up, and because they were going to be doing laps, I was just supposed to stay put and wait for them to come back. It was after the class had left and I was sitting there in the middle of a bunch of basketball courts when I felt the chair start to wobble a bit, even though I wasn't moving. As chairs aren't supposed to do that, I hopped out of the chair and landed on my good leg as one of the smaller stabilizing wheels fell off the wheelchair and the chair fell over leaving me balanced on one foot, unable to get to my crutches and looking at this tipped over wheelchair hoping for help. Eventually someone came by and helped me so that I could get to a bench and sit down, and the custodial staff were able to jury rig something together to replace the bolt on the wheelchair, and so I spent the rest of my time in the wheelchair without anything else quite as annoying as losing a wheel off a wheelchair.

I was eventually cleared for switching to crutches for another month before I returned to mostly-regular walking, and as much of a fan as I am of sitting, I've been glad that barring a minor injury I did to myself during a drive-by shooting some years later, I've been able to keep myself clear of needing a wheelchair in the 20 years since then.