main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Conversational Standards on the Site

Discussion in 'Communications' started by devilinthedetails , Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Reading through the other thread, I see that Tina and Devil were both threatened with band for addressing the passive aggressive remarks made with no repercussions towards anyone else. And some more against Tina were made after the ban threats with no consequence. “Off topic”

2. The Maverick

The Maverick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2020

you should have been here in 2004-2005

this thread reminds me very much of this

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/war-ok-but-srsly.30398735/

unfortunately the thread was already locked before I could put my two pence worth in...since I was part of the orginal conversation that was quoted in the initial post.

El Jedi Colombiano and Iron_lord like this.
  3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I was saying that reading through threads that span two decades would be helpful towards understanding the way things work here. Those discussions are available for anyone to read, although there are some clipped posts due to the move from IGN boards in 2012.

Reading some of those discussions is preferable to charging ahead unawares.

SuperWatto, Yodaminch and Iron_lord like this.
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Perhaps if the issue keeps recurring over twenty years a change is necessary to improve the issue?

Iron_lord and Princess_Tina like this.
  5. The Maverick

Jul 18, 2020
    alright yes, I do concede this, and I noticed it too

1. I thought bannings weren't to be discussed regardless, especially in comms. (though that might just be no asking for so-and-so to be unbanned, why were they banned, etc)

2. if a mod wants to warn others about 'off-topic' content at least try to appearto be a bit consistent about it.

3. Isn't that Schwartz, LAJ-Fett's, and Jello's call who will be 'discussing it the unban request forums'? who knows anymore.

As someone who tries to see things from all sides, I think mods have a duty to remain impartial.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bans can be discussed in a general sense but we will not discuss particular users and their bans. As far as the Unban Request forum goes we usually let the banning mod converse with the banned user. Any mod can see threads there.

jcgoble3 and The Maverick like this.
  7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I do have trouble understanding how pointing out disrespectful behavior is a problem but the disrespectful behavior itself is deemed not an issue. It does seem to condone disrespectful behavior at the expense of respectful behavior to me.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So is Tina banned ? sorry if this was already clarified and I missed it.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't say that - my reply was a general informational post on banned users. Don't read anything into it pertaining to a particular user.

10. The Maverick

Jul 18, 2020
    from my understanding though, mods don't usually interfere in forums they do not moderate. You don't see, I dunno...Crazy-Mike telling people not to use certain words or phrases in the fanfic forum for example. Unless it was an extreme circumstance. One or two off-topic posts don't fall under that criteria or has never done before now.

Has that rule changed now? do mods now mod across the whole boards regardless whose coloured names are at the top?

anyway, for myself to be on-topic I guess

JCers will post the way they always do. It's been consistent throughout the whole time I've been here.
    Which is why those posters that do not like it (and believe me I can understand why, people have different sensibilities and that's fine, which is why I strongly advocate a new forum, so both sets of groups don't need to mingle if they don't want)

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It depends on the forum and if the forum mods are online or not. For example, I'm not a Community mod. However if I am reading a thread there and I see someone has used a disallowed word in a post I'll check to see if a Community mod is online. If not, I'll handle it. We have a thread in our mod forum where we keep tracks of any modding we do outside of our own forums.
    Edit - unless it's a major transgression (like posting nudity, for example) we'll normally leave any ban up to the forum mods.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  12. The Maverick

Jul 18, 2020
    alright, well fair enough. Thanks for explaining.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No problem!

14. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Neither Tina nor I posted anything close to nudity.

Speaking for myself, I was only trying to advocate for what I judge to be common courtesy. That was termed grandstanding and making a martyr of myself when to me it was only trying to be a decent human being.

Emperor Ferus and Princess_Tina like this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    @devilinthedetails I can see how much you missed the drama of those threads and how anxious you were to dive back into it. Congratulations on making the situation even more absurd than it already was. You're the best.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Someone alert @Dan.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Get ready then for a Marlins/Yankees World Series. :p

19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    you are interacting with people who simply have differing cultural norms / personalities. It’s equally as important for you to remember the culture of the forum you are in (read the room, as it were) as it is for there to be a common measure of dignity and respect. There’s only so much one user can do to change a community’s culture.

20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I suppose my question is what is considered socially acceptable and appropriate on this site. I would like to clarify if ad hominem attacks, aspirations against people's sanity just because they like to post in game threads, and accusations of people generating spam just because they again like to post in game threads that are not prohibited by the site rules is acceptable and appropriate behavior by the standards of the site, and if they are, why that is the case when to me it seems to be harmful to positive, constructive conversation and contrary to a family friendly environment which was my impression of what the site generally defines itself as being.

21. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Let’s not forget “human centipede”

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If clarification is what you're looking for, why not PM an admin/mod/mgr and ask directly? Why the drama thread?

Look, you are new here. What you are doing is coming into a two-decade+ old community and requesting it completely restructure its culture in order to accommodate one person. How is this even remotely reasonable?

Tina has, in the past, accused me of being against her because of her autism. This is really offensive to me because my son is autistic. I understand autism (but still have much to learn). The thing is, my son goes to therapy in order to build the social skills he will need in order to adapt to the world, because, at the age of 18, he knows that the world will not adapt to him. It's a very important thing to be aware of.

23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    All I am suggesting is common courtesy is valuable in any community. If a community does not value common courtesy, I do think that is a problem the community as a whole should address. This thread is a chance for the community as a whole to address the question of common courtesy.

Emperor Ferus and Princess_Tina like this.
  24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Okay, well: dragging me into a superfluous thread, accusing me of doing the very thing the person you're defending is doing: that's not common courtesy.

Barging into a decades-old community, telling them they have to act nicer because you want to play bingo in their midst undisturbed: that's not common courtesy either.

Raising hell about an issue you know MS is working to solve, while everyone else is waiting obligingly: no, that's not common courtesy either.

Have I addressed it sufficiently for you?
    Please let the mods know, so they can close the thread.

harpua likes this.
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    God please let this die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.